Return of the Triple Slots! 2080ti

BuckGup
46 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I only skimmed the announcement...is NVLink basically bringing quad-SLI back?  When quad SLI died my reaction was "welp there goes the need for having dual-PSU systems".

How will they deal with the fact that a standard outlet in an american home is only rated to 15amps? 4 gpus plus a power hungry cpu seems like it would require more power requiring a second circuit.

3 minutes ago, Cornontheecob said:

How will they deal with the fact that a standard outlet in an american home is only rated to 15amps? 4 gpus plus a power hungry cpu seems like it would require more power requiring a second circuit.

Well in Europe it's not a problem.  In the US you either need a 20A circuit (uncommon outside commercial buildings) or you can run your dual PSU system off multiple outlets (on separate circuits).  Or you can go full batshit crazy and  tee off your clothes dryer 240V outlet (I've always wanted an excuse to do this but haven't had one yet).

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

12 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Well in Europe it's not a problem.  In the US you either need a 20A circuit (uncommon outside commercial buildings) or you can run your dual PSU system off multiple outlets (on separate circuits).  Or you can go full batshit crazy and  tee off your clothes dryer 240V outlet (I've always wanted an excuse to do this but haven't had one yet).

I can just imagine the unsightly extension cords now lol, just run em under the carpet no one will ever notice 

EVGA wants 1699 for that plastic shroud eh.  think ill wait a while 

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

And a MSRp price tag of $1200, Nvidia gone fking insane if they think thats ok.

780ti - $700

980ti - $650

1080ti - $700

2080ti - $1200   .. the fuck ?!

These tensor cores for raytracing? Are they even usable for traditional rendering of games? Or is a big chunk of the die just completely wasted if I'm not playing one of these RT enhanced games? I mean there are only two games in their list that I'll likely play: Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus. I don't want to pay an early adopters tax for RT just like I won't pay it for VR.

13 minutes ago, Cornontheecob said:

I can just imagine the unsightly extension cords now lol, just run em under the carpet no one will ever notice 

(random tangent) but you never want to run extension cords under carpets or rugs.  Their current rating is based on being in free-air so the rating goes down when the cable is smothered, and in case of fire (short circuit or overload or fraying from physical damage) you don't want the provide kindling for it with carpet.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

17 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

(random tangent) but you never want to run extension cords under carpets or rugs.  Their current rating is based on being in free-air so the rating goes down when the cable is smothered, and in case of fire (short circuit or overload or fraying from physical damage) you don't want the provide kindling for it with carpet.

As an electrician i can tell u u would be horrified then if u saw the power distribution on jobsites lmao

37 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

These tensor cores for raytracing? Are they even usable for traditional rendering of games? Or is a big chunk of the die just completely wasted if I'm not playing one of these RT enhanced games? I mean there are only two games in their list that I'll likely play: Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus. I don't want to pay an early adopters tax for RT just like I won't pay it for VR.

Until games start using them, they're just wasted die space. And power.

Main improvements were something we were expecting: Async compute. All of that uplift that AMD gets in DX12/Vulkan should be leveled out by Nvidia finally.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Until games start using them, they're just wasted die space. And power.

Main improvements were something we were expecting: Async compute. All of that uplift that AMD gets in DX12/Vulkan should be leveled out by Nvidia finally.

Yeah, because Nvidia desperately needed to level out that AMD advantage hehe.

I doubt the 5 GPU parts are all wasted tho.

Since most stuff is built into dx12 and engines now (soon everywhere I guess), it will just be a toggle to turn it on.

They made that pretty clear in the demo. It basically turns the feature on, place a light and "it just works". He said that SEVERAL times.

Wishful thinking, maybe. But I tend to not go all crazy on negative speculations like most of the forum likes to do.

NVidia never disappointed me, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until we see real benchmarks.

5 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

a dell bizlink adapter can be had on ebay for less than 30$. I have 2 of the older ones with blue lettering, but the ones with the stamp on the shell should be the same. 
image.png.afe9023b2911593d2c48177525a56d58.png
In addition, any one that has the same housing should be the same essential adapter, so if you can find some additional brands go for it. I have a generic one somewhere. Dell is probably the best bet as businesses dump them from old laptop dock setups from last gen  precisions and lattitudes. 
Adapters are extensive, always look for used or ebay old stock. Source- guy with so many cables and adapters I have a closet dedicated to it that I  lined with shoe organizers and a full coat rack of wires. 

looks like RTX 2070 comes with DVI while 2080 and 2080Ti doesn't

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You're assuming they haven't disabled the ability to run ML/DL off them at the driver level. We'll need to wait for benchmarks & testing to know if you can.

entirely agree. If they have disabled the tensor core parts for non-raytracing applications then it's a hard pass.

Pending benchmarks and all, but my trusty R9 290 still might not get an upgrade.

13 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

entirely agree. If they have disabled the tensor core parts for non-raytracing applications then it's a hard pass.

Pending benchmarks and all, but my trusty R9 290 still might not get an upgrade.

People already forget they had to turn a bunch of stuff back on for the Titan Xp because Vega FE launched. Nvidia doesn't make separate classes of GPU dies, so it's all whether it's on at the driver level or not.

Not surprised when the reference design draws 260W.  I have no Idea what nvidia's TDP conditions are so I can only assume board partners will need bigger coolers than before if they want to push the clocks higher.

Also, why are people complaining about price when we haven't seen any performance benchmarks yet?    I get the price looks high, but in reality if you think that's high and you are going to go marching of to AMD in a theatrical huff, what are you planning on buying from them?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

41 minutes ago, Jaggsta said:

looks like RTX 2070 comes with DVI while 2080 and 2080Ti doesn't

this might also depends on whos gpu you buy. My fucking asus 1080 has 1 DVI, 2 hdmi and 2 DP. So much for 3 screen surround gsync assholes. Why did asus do that? 
Image result for 1080 reference portsReferece
Image result for 1080 strix portsAsus strix 

Because at the time the vive had a problem with the active dp to hdmi adapters. This was mostly due to bad adapters though, but asus made it so you can do 3 screen gsync on their top end card, cause fuck it vive people are the only important customers. This kinda shit is ok, in fact expected on mid tier cards. People have old screens and you want to not have them need adapters, but on the top tier card? With asus at the time, gsync surround was not a thing I guess. This was the only 1080 I could get my hands on then, shortly after launch.
So my 970 reference in my workstation drives my 3 screen setup, but I didn't go for gsync on that setup. I just have 1. Sucks man. 

You can adapt dp to hdmi effectively and find plent of quality cables and active adapters, but not the other way around. 
Still salty af I really wanted a reference 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Not surprised when the reference design draws 260W.  I have no Idea what nvidia's TDP conditions are so I can only assume board partners will need bigger coolers than before if they want to push the clocks higher.

These GPUs are going to be pretty heavy on the power draw. Big dies and almost the same process at Pascal. There's no way around these things drawing a good chunk of power at the Clocks the process can handle. We shouldn't be expecting OC'd RX Vega 64 numbers, but the upper SKUs should probably pass the stock Vega 64's numbers.

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

this might also depends on whos gpu you buy. My fucking asus 1080 has 1 DVI, 2 hdmi and 2 DP. So much for 3 screen surround gsync assholes. Why did asus do that? 
Image result for 1080 reference portsReferece
Image result for 1080 strix portsAsus strix 
Because at the time the vive had a problem with the active dp to hdmi adapters. This was mostly due to bad adapters though, but asus made it so you can do 3 screen gsync on their top end card, cause fuck it vive people are the only important customers. This was the only 1080 I could get my hands on at the time. 
So my 970 reference in my workstation drives my 3 screen setup, but I didn't go for gsync on that setup. I just have 1. Sucks man. 

You can adapt dp to hdmi effectively and find plent of quality cables and active adapters, but not the other way around. 

Having run into this issue recently...

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP

Or something in that class. I just choose to change two cables rather than go for a Converter, but you cannot "adapt' HDMI to DP. You need powered, active "Conversion" since DP requires certain signals that aren't otherwise present.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-Adapter/dp/B0144NS4Z6

Or something a little smaller. No actual experience with them, but there is no other way around the issue. It might not work with every setup, though. Resolution/refresh rates can be an issue.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Having run into this issue recently...

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP

Or something in that class. I just choose to change two cables rather than go for a Converter, but you cannot "adapt' HDMI to DP. You need powered, active "Conversion" since DP requires certain signals that aren't otherwise present.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-Adapter/dp/B0144NS4Z6

Or something a little smaller. No actual experience with them, but there is no other way around the issue. It might not work with every setup, though. Resolution/refresh rates can be an issue.

well I know of a couple of cheaper decent solutions and have tested at least one, but none will support gsync and high resolution/refresh rate support is hard to find. The gsync is the important part. 
And decent hdmi to dp adapters are recent, why I dont have any in my crazy cable and adapter collection. This was more than 2 years ago, keep in mind. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

well I know of a couple of cheaper decent solutions and have tested at least one, but none will support gsync and high resolution/refresh rate support is hard to find. The gsync is the important part. 
And decent hdmi to dp adapters are recent, why I dont have any in my crazy cable and adapter collection. This was more than 2 years ago, keep in mind. 

Ah.

Yeah, there will be no Gsync or high-refresh rates.

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Ah.

Yeah, there will be no Gsync or high-refresh rates.

and that's really my gripe with it. With the (at the time) top of the line hardware,  I understand not being able to use all screens with cool setups, BUT there was no way to buy 3 gsync screens of any kinda and hook them up to it. So the big spenders that wanted to get the ultimate nvidia setup couldn't with the asus strix. It's like taking away a feature of the reference in my mind. With mid tier you want max compatibility more screens, with top tier you want to be able to make the ultimate setup. The I saw a lot of triple 1440p gsync setups at that time as the trend, those asus swift ones. I wanted that but 1080p. People were balling out for 3 1k$ screens, and this card didn't support them damnit! 

muh specs 

All parts black

No matter to me, skipping this generation until intel joins the fray

Heat doesn't bother me because my custom loop is overkill. But I still don't want to use more power than I have to. For me what's more important than either is the price/perf.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I tht we were getting more efficient 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'd really hoped we would see a single slot reference card...

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

UK prices are up, and the word is  "Fuck exchange rates !" £1200 -.-

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

15 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

They can do the enhanced render as well. Yes they have to implement it  but it is easier to implement than raytracing. I would look at the supported games thread if you want to see more.