Return of the Triple Slots! 2080ti

BuckGup
2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I got my 1080 near launch for 700. The 1080ti Launched at 700. This is nearly double the price of the 1080ti

Is the 3080 ti gonna cost 2057$? Is the 4080 ti gonna cost 3526$? It's literally a price increase to exactly match the best case scenario performance increase. Who the fuck does that? And you know this is best case since they had to launch the ti at the same time this time, there's a reason for that I guarantee it. 

You see, when newer better computer parts come out, they do more for about the same price as the last generation. 

Otherwise an 8800gt would be a good price/performance value still. 

Does the price increase suck? Of course it does. Is someone buying a 2070 going to miss out on much? Probably not if it's matching the performance of a 1080.

People are talking about jumping ship. What are they going to do? Selling their 1080 and go buy a worse performing Vega 64 for the same price as their card brand new? We won't see anything from AMD about their GPU's for a little while anyways, so it's either buy the card or don't. I'm sure these prices will lower eventually as the "premium" goes away.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

2 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

Does the price increase suck? Of course it does. Is someone buying a 2070 going to miss out on much? Probably not if it's matching the performance of a 1080.

People are talking about jumping ship. What are they going to do? Selling their 1080 and go buy a worse performing Vega 64 for the same price as their card brand new? We won't see anything from AMD about their GPU's for a little while anyways, so it's either buy the card or don't. I'm sure these prices will lower eventually as the "premium" goes away.

It's scummy, doesn't matter if it will work. People who are talking about jumping ship are
1. waiting until amd has a new generation
2. are on the mid range or lower end, and wont buy nvidia for their next upgrade out of principal. 

Keep in mind that a lot of people buy the 150-200 range and upgrade much more often and selling their old one for a decent return, every generation in some cases. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Computers almost always bring generational Performance per Cost improvements. Nvidia just went "nah" on everyone and moved stuff up tiers. That's going to ruffle feathers in Tech.

Doesn't mean it was the wrong business decision, but no one should act like there wouldn't be complaining about it.

I completely get that. We all saw the leaks. We all knew it was going to be $999 or so and it was. Are the same people complaining about the price the same people that can't afford it? If they can't afford the 2070, then that complaint holds no water. GPU's are in high demand and if it continues, then the price will go up.

People also fail to realize that GDDR6 is NOT cheap. It's expensive and there will be a premium for that as well.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

It's scummy. People whoa re talking about jumping ship are
1. waiting until amd has a new generation
2. are on the mid range or lower end, and wont buy nvidia for their next upgrade out of principal. 

Keep in mind that a lot of people buy the 150-200 range and upgrade much more often and selling their old one for a decent return, every generation in some cases. 

Then those people don't need to complain. If they are on the lower end, and that's what they choose to budget for or have to budget for, then there's zero reason to complain. Hell, Nvidia has yet to announce the 2060 or whatever. Once those come out, I'm sure they will have great performance at a good price ($300?).

3 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

Then those people don't need to complain. If they are on the lower end, and that's what they choose to budget for or have to budget for, then there's zero reason to complain. Hell, Nvidia has yet to announce the 2060 or whatever. Once those come out, I'm sure they will have great performance at a good price ($300?).

For one, I'm complaining because I wanted the flagship launch like I did last gen. It's stupid enough to spend 700 like I did for the 1080. This, probably forget it. 
Two, yes they can complain about a companies practices even if it doesn't affect them. If every costco shot 10% of the customers that walked through the door one day, but it didn't affect you personally because you weren't even shopping on that day, you can fucking complain. Especially if costco was one of only 2 places in the entire US to buy your groceries.
They almost doubled the prices on their most loyal customers because they could get away with it and there's no competition right now. A blatant fuck you to anyone that buys high end. A 500 fucking dollar increase over one generation on a card tier that was 700$

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

25 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yes though typically we don't raise the price nearly the same percentage as the performance increase for a new generation of card. 
I got my 1080 near launch for 700. The 1080ti Launched at 700. This is nearly double the price of the 1080ti

If they called the 2080ti a titan instead then would you be upset? Because the 2080 is releasing for around the price of the 1080 last gen right?

10 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

I completely get that. We all saw the leaks. We all knew it was going to be $999 or so and it was. Are the same people complaining about the price the same people that can't afford it? If they can't afford the 2070, then that complaint holds no water. GPU's are in high demand and if it continues, then the price will go up.

People also fail to realize that GDDR6 is NOT cheap. It's expensive and there will be a premium for that as well.

The xx70 and above cards from Nvidia are something like 3% of the dGPU market, so a lot of Gamers stretch their budget to get into that class of dGPU. There's a premium, but the premium went up again. As I said, it isn't a bad business decision, but it's not going to make a lot of people all that happy.

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If they called the 2080ti a titan instead then would you be upset? Because the 2080 is releasing for around the price of the 1080 last gen right?

Im not sure, because I've been upset with the titan since it's not longer a poor mans quadro. Origional titans were actually a cheap option for workstations. 
Recently it has been 

x80 > titan at high price > x80ti at x80price with better than titan performance. 

So last gen for 700$ you got the full performance that generation had to offer

This time around, the price is locked. Titan was exclusively an early adopter's big walletpeen tax. 
The 2080ti probably isn't a cut down chip, so yea... it's like if last gen they launched the titan at the same time as the 1080 but never released a ti

The price is about the top card will cost you each release cycle. The titans we all knew there was a better version of the same chip coming out cheaper shortly after the titan. 

1080 -700
space
titan penis - irrelevant 

1080ti- 700$

muh specs 

All parts black

@Taf the Ghost @Brooksie359 @Brehohn

Know why I bet they did this? 
They know theyll lose a lot of higher end people like. Itll ruffle feathers. 

But, that new NVLink based multi gpu could bring good scaling back, hell it copuld be better than ever. 

They're target the people that want to put 4 gpus in a system cause fuck it money. 

And there's a lot of those people. a 500$ price increase per gpu is a lot even over a smaller number

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Im not sure, because I've been upset with the titan since it's not longer a poor mans quadro. Origional titans were actually a cheap option for workstations. 
Recently it has been 

x80 > titan at high price > x80ti at x80price with better than titan performance. 

So last gen for 700$ you got the full performance that generation had to offer

This time around, the price is locked. Titan was exclusively an early adopter's big walletpeen tax. 
The 2080ti probably isn't a cut down chip, so yea... it's like if last gen they launched the titan at the same time as the 1080 but never released a ti

The price is about the top card will cost you each release cycle. The titans we all knew there was a better version of the same chip coming out cheaper shortly after the titan. 

1080 -700
space
titan penis - irrelevant 

1080ti- 700$

Yes but my entire point is that it's basically their typical launch but instead the 2080ti is the new titan. If the rumours are true that they are going to release the 7nm gpus sooner than their normal release cycle then perhaps they don't believe they have enough time to do the traditional titan release then 2080ti 6 months down the road. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but my entire point is that it's basically their typical launch but instead the 2080ti is the new titan. If the rumours are true that they are going to release the 7nm gpus sooner than their normal release cycle then perhaps they don't believe they have enough time to do the traditional titan release then 2080ti 6 months down the road. 

I sitll dont like it, but if that's the case, and they still call it 20xx for some reason, it makes it less bad to me. But the certainty of the "wait for the ti" is gone. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

But, that new NVLink based multi gpu could bring good scaling back, hell it copuld be better than ever. 

They're target the people that want to put 4 gpus in a system cause fuck it money. 

And there's a lot of those people. a 500$ price increase per gpu is a lot even over a smaller number

I'm thinking "what do I need to play 4k at 144Hz" and the answer is "whatever the fastest card on the market is".  The cost becomes a secondary issue.  Speaking firsthand, the price increase is "unfortunate" but it's not enough where it would sway me to purchase a lower tier card.  

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm thinking "what do I need to play 4k at 144Hz" and the answer is "whatever the fastest card on the market is".  The cost becomes a secondary issue.  Speaking firsthand, the price increase is "unfortunate" but it's not enough where it would sway me to purchase a lower tier card.  

that's what Im thinking. More so with the NVLink. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The next generation of NVLink should be at least interesting. We'll see if it works any easier than SLI, though I suspect once both major companies start designing for MCM setup we'll see it work better.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The next generation of NVLink should be at least interesting. We'll see if it works any easier than SLI, though I suspect once both major companies start designing for MCM setup we'll see it work better.

I only skimmed the announcement...is NVLink basically bringing quad-SLI back?  When quad SLI died my reaction was "welp there goes the need for having dual-PSU systems".

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Yo momma so FAT... 

Nvidia is ray-tracing her quadrants as we speak. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I only skimmed the announcement...is NVLink basically bringing quad-SLI back?  When quad SLI died my reaction was "welp there goes the need for having dual-PSU systems".

Idk about quad, but I do know if it works well it will mean at least dual would make sense again. Which I'm all for, I missing running multi gpu 

muh specs 

All parts black

8 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Idk about quad, but I do know if it works well it will mean at least dual would make sense again. Which I'm all for, I missing running multi gpu 

No clue, but we'll find out in a few weeks when people get around to testing. A lot of Sniper Elite benchmarks to come.

11 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I sitll dont like it, but if that's the case, and they still call it 20xx for some reason, it makes it less bad to me. But the certainty of the "wait for the ti" is gone. 

Yeah that's why I think it could be the case. They don't want people waiting for a 2080ti if they never end up releasing one and just released a titan at launch. They release this 2080ti for the higher price now letting people know there isn't a cheaper version coming out later that way people either buy or wait for next gen. I mean if they end up releasing the 7nm gpus sooner in their cycle then maybe people are better off waiting for next gen if they don't want to pay for the 2080ti. 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah that's why I think it could be the case. They don't want people waiting for a 2080ti if they never end up releasing one and just released a titan at launch. They release this 2080ti for the higher price now letting people know there isn't a cheaper version coming out later that way people either buy or wait for next gen. I mean if they end up releasing the 7nm gpus sooner in their cycle then maybe people are better off waiting for next gen if they don't want to pay for the 2080ti. 

God I was pissed with Nvidia when they released the 980Ti like 3 months after I bought the Titan X.  For fuck's sake at least give me a 6 month head start before you fuck me with a $300 price decrease for more powerful hardware (the Titan X never came with binning or custom PCBs so the overclocking on Ti's was better...yes I got 12GB vram but that's not helpful even on today's games).

It's a /hot topic/

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Are the hybrids coming later?

image.png.b972149e9a24a18920d043656237ac67.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

yuck, that evga cooler looks like something from the mid 2000's.  Clear plastic and a TON of fins..... last gen coolers looked much nicer, that just looks cheap.

59 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The xx70 and above cards from Nvidia are something like 3% of the dGPU market, so a lot of Gamers stretch their budget to get into that class of dGPU. There's a premium, but the premium went up again. As I said, it isn't a bad business decision, but it's not going to make a lot of people all that happy.

couldnt those people just buy a 1080ti? The only thing it cant push is the new 4k at 144hz which if we're honest costs around 2k and I doubt if someone is buying that monitor they would complain about the price of the new GPU. I even saw 1080ti on sale for $650. So from where i stand there is nothing gaming wise that even requires these cards yet, its purely a group of people that just want the new shiny gpu and are upset at the price.

the EVGA design looks absolutely atrocious

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB