Return of the Triple Slots! 2080ti

BuckGup
6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Or get rid of DVI completely and have 4 HDMI over type-c

DisplayPort is actually really good, but Windows treats it so badly it's really annoying.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

DisplayPort is actually really good, but Windows treats it so badly it's really annoying.

Ill take HDMI any day. Display port has fallen behind. 

But type-c would help with cooling. 

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I've done it for 120Hz old benq screen before, and I know it can be done for 144Hz. You had the wrong adapter, it needs to be active and support the full bandwidth. Some are screwy. I suggest trying the dell bizlink adapter or other rebadges of the same core adapter. You can find them on ebay used for cheap sometimes. 

yes with active dvi adapter which cost $90 and creates input lag

Just now, Jaggsta said:

yes with active dvi adapter which cost $90 and creates input lag

They do not create input lag, and least the ones I've had my hands on. I've tested same screen, side by side. The latency is lower than the frame time by far in most cases. In fact, even digital to analog adapters these days can be had pretty much lag free.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

XC is 2 slot cooler and XC Ultra is 2.75 slot cooler for another $100 dollars

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

They do not create input lag, and least the ones I've had my hands on. I've tested same screen, side by side. The latency is lower than the frame time by far in most cases. In fact, even digital to analog adapters these days can be had pretty much lag free.

says adds 25ms input lag from the manual it comes with

1 minute ago, Jaggsta said:

says adds 25ms input lag from the manual it comes with

Well, that's a lot, more than a frame which will show up on a simple camera test at 60Hz. Im curious as to what adapter you have, as I dont have that much on any of mine. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Well, that's a lot, more than a frame which will show up on a simple camera test at 60Hz. Im curious as to what adapter you have, as I dont have that much on any of mine. 

yeah not worth paying $100 for adapter that is over 50% of value of monitor

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well pick one. AMD cant perform so its cheap...ish..but nvidia can walk circles around AMD for days. So pick a side because you cant have both. 

AMD performs quite fine for where the vast majority of the market is at. (Also, if you exist in a world of multiple monitors, AMD is much easier to deal with.) Issue is that AMD can't run out big die GPUs at the very top end of the market. For most people, a RX 570/580 + FreeSync display will provide the best gaming experience unless you spend significantly more money.

Nvidia screwed up pretty badly by keeping Gsync proprietary, especially as they aren't making much of anything off the product line and it keeps AMD competitive. 

8 minutes ago, Jaggsta said:

yeah not worth paying $90-$100 for adapter that is over 50% of value of monitor

a dell bizlink adapter can be had on ebay for less than 30$. I have 2 of the older ones with blue lettering, but the ones with the stamp on the shell should be the same. 
image.png.afe9023b2911593d2c48177525a56d58.png
In addition, any one that has the same housing should be the same essential adapter, so if you can find some additional brands go for it. I have a generic one somewhere. Dell is probably the best bet as businesses dump them from old laptop dock setups from last gen  precisions and lattitudes. 
Adapters are extensive, always look for used or ebay old stock. Source- guy with so many cables and adapters I have a closet dedicated to it that I  lined with shoe organizers and a full coat rack of wires. 

muh specs 

All parts black

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ill take HDMI any day. Display port has fallen behind. 

But type-c would help with cooling. 

It'd actually be interesting if monitors all went to Type-C, though it'd probably be DisplayPort over Type-C.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD performs quite fine for where the vast majority of the market is at. (Also, if you exist in a world of multiple monitors, AMD is much easier to deal with.) Issue is that AMD can't run out big die GPUs at the very top end of the market. For most people, a RX 570/580 + FreeSync display will provide the best gaming experience unless you spend significantly more money.

Nvidia screwed up pretty badly by keeping Gsync proprietary, especially as they aren't making much of anything off the product line and it keeps AMD competitive. 

And you can pick up a Vega 64 for around the same price as a 1080 now (last I checked 3 days ago on Amazon they were only $560 or so), and it may turn out cheaper for 1080p 144Hz or 1440p because you can get FreeSync Monitors for a lot less than a G-Sync one. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

34 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Just realized...that port placement is fucking terrible. that DP will be covered in a lot of cases I think, and if not covered still not pluggable with most cables. Or am I seething this wrong? 

11G-P4-2383-KR_XL_5.jpg

I think you are mistaking The indents in the IO sheild for where the case separates PCIe slots. I think the open gaps in most cases exist where those little fingers protrude at the bottom and the separators are at the peaks between them. It is cutting it awfully close though. 

Time to jump ship boys I've always had a Nvidia GPU even spent over $1000 on a g-sync monitor but these prices are outrageous. Time to see what the red or maybe blue team can offer me. I didn't usually mind spending the premium for Nvidia because they had the performance to match the high prices but this this is giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

And you can pick up a Vega 64 for around the same price as a 1080 now (last I checked 3 days ago on Amazon they were only $560 or so), and it may turn out cheaper for 1080p 144Hz or 1440p because you can get FreeSync Monitors for a lot less than a G-Sync one. 

It's quite hard to recommend the Vega 64, normally, but Nvidia is making a strong argument for it, haha. Though FreeSync will really come into its own with the next generation of GPUs. Mainstream GPUs can't really do 144 Hz in non-esports titles until the next go around. Not that most people are rocking 144 Hz monitors, but they're pretty consistent sellers on Amazon.

Navi + a 4K FreeSync monitor is going to be interesting.

8 minutes ago, SpDmnAdam said:

I think you are mistaking The indents in the IO sheild for where the case separates PCIe slots. I think the open gaps in most cases exist where those little fingers protrude at the bottom and the separators are at the peaks between them. It is cutting it awfully close though. 

well if it's not centered there's no way you'll get most DP plug on there, and I cant tell now that Im looking at it. But that's what I thought looking at it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

14 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

well if it's not centered there's no way you'll get most DP plug on there, and I cant tell now that Im looking at it. But that's what I thought looking at it. 

It should fit just fine in most cases, but it does look offset without a close look at where the slot tabs sit.

I fail to see why people are so mad about this being a "kick in the balls". Miners hurt us by raising the price on these cards. These cards might possibly be really good for mining, so, maybe they increased it so that it keeps miners away from it. Just a theory. But if you can't afford it, don't complain. If you have a 10 series currently, then you don't "need" this card. Am I going to get the new 2080ti? Of course I am because I'm an enthusiast. I love having the newest stuff when it releases. We KNOW these are going to be more powerful than the 10 series, not for Ray Tracing, but for gaming in general.

Seriously, the Infiltrator benchmark was done at 60-78fps at 4K. 1080Ti can only do that at around 30fps.

Does anyone fail to see the performance increase here?

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

3 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

I fail to see why people are so mad about this being a "kick in the balls". Miners hurt us by raising the price on these cards. These cards might possibly be really good for mining, so, maybe they increased it so that it keeps miners away from it. Just a theory. But if you can't afford it, don't complain. If you have a 10 series currently, then you don't "need" this card. Am I going to get the new 2080ti? Of course I am because I'm an enthusiast. I love having the newest stuff when it releases. We KNOW these are going to be more powerful than the 10 series, not for Ray Tracing, but for gaming in general.

Seriously, the Infiltrator benchmark was done at 60-78fps at 4K. 1080Ti can only do that at around 30fps.

Does anyone fail to see the performance increase here?

yes though typically we don't raise the price nearly the same percentage as the performance increase for a new generation of card. 
I got my 1080 near launch for 700. The 1080ti Launched at 700. This is nearly double the price of the 1080ti

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It'd actually be interesting if monitors all went to Type-C, though it'd probably be DisplayPort over Type-C.

id like to see monitors that are powered and have display over type C. just one cable.

at home I dont care... but at work that means hundreds of fewer cables.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

yes though typically we don't raise the price nearly the same percentage as the performance increase for a new generation of card. 

Why not? No one seems to complain when the Titan's costed $1500 because it was just the "norm". The Titan lineup should be gone by now since the Titan V was finally that departure. The cards are BRAND NEW. Of course they aren't going to discount them right off the bat. Just go get a 1080Ti for $700 and call it a day. If you want the newest and hottest thing out, go spend the premium price tag.

People can jump ship all they want. I like playing every game at full graphic settings on my gsync 1440p panel. So, Nvidia is going to be able to give that to me WAY better than AMD will. Nvidia is making ground breaking advancements. What is AMD doing with their GPU's? They got really close with Vega. But it wasn't a good enough reason to switch.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

5 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

Why not? No one seems to complain when the Titan's costed $1500 because it was just the "norm". The Titan lineup should be gone by now since the Titan V was finally that departure. The cards are BRAND NEW. Of course they aren't going to discount them right off the bat. Just go get a 1080Ti for $700 and call it a day. If you want the newest and hottest thing out, go spend the premium price tag.

People can jump ship all they want. I like playing every game at full graphic settings on my gsync 1440p panel. So, Nvidia is going to be able to give that to me WAY better than AMD will. Nvidia is making ground breaking advancements. What is AMD doing with their GPU's? They got really close with Vega. But it wasn't a good enough reason to switch.

I got my 1080 near launch for 700. The 1080ti Launched at 700. This is nearly double the price of the 1080ti

Is the 3080 ti gonna cost 2057$? Is the 4080 ti gonna cost 3526$? It's literally a price increase to exactly match the best case scenario performance increase. Who the fuck does that? And you know this is best case since they had to launch the ti at the same time this time, there's a reason for that I guarantee it. 

You see, when newer better computer parts come out, they do more for about the same price as the last generation. 

Otherwise an 8800gt would be a good price/performance value still. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Checked a bunch of the partner cards and it doesn't look like any of the 2000 series cards have DVI, kind of annoying but there probably aren't too many people out there in the market for a $1000+ GPU that are also using a Korean monitor with no scaler that only works with DVI.

6 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

Computers almost always bring generational Performance per Cost improvements. Nvidia just went "nah" on everyone and moved stuff up tiers. That's going to ruffle feathers in Tech.

Doesn't mean it was the wrong business decision, but no one should act like there wouldn't be complaining about it.

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Checked a bunch of the partner cards and it doesn't look like any of the 2000 series cards have DVI, kind of annoying but there probably aren't too many people out there in the market for a $1000+ GPU that are also using a Korean monitor with no scaler that only works with DVI.

DVI is probably dead in the high-end. They started the move to DP + HDMI a good number of years ago.