Anyone still use Cable TV?

TacoSenpai

Use Cable TV?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Use Cable TV?

• Yay
    • Nay

Just wondering how many of you all still have a cable tv subscription?  I decided when I moved out on my own to just get an internet plan.  Then again I have tastes of the weeb variety and have subscriptions to Crunchyroll and Funimation along with the family plan on Netflix and honestly find myself needing little else.  If I need local news or weather I just plug in my antennae.  Which I must add antennaes have gotten surprisingly sophisticated now in days.  Granted since I'm 25 miles outside the city that probably means I get good reception on public broadcasts.

No, we made the mistake of switching to DirectTV. hehe

Also, try VRV.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, we made the mistake of switching to DirectTV. hehe

Also, try VRV.

I have heard good things about VRV supposedly if you have a subscription to Cruchyroll you can get access to VRV as well by linking them or something.

Just now, LordOTaco said:

I have heard good things about VRV supposedly if you have a subscription to Cruchyroll you can get access to VRV as well by linking them or something.

Wouldn't know. Got VRV premium and one of Crunchy's paid subscripts, but I've never seen an option to link them and get VRV free.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Wouldn't know. Got VRV premium and one of Crunchy's paid subscripts, but I've never seen an option to link them and get VRV free.

I have to honestly look in to it more.  I know VRV has access to both Funimation and Crunchy content but also exclusives of their own as well as roosterteeth. Pretty OP honestly.

I have to honestly look in to it more.  I know VRV has access to both Funimation and Crunchy content but also exclusives of their own as well as roosterteeth. Pretty OP honestly.

Yeah, I've filled up a decent playlist just on Funimation alone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I do. I record shit with a capture card off of TV on occasion.

It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah, I've filled up a decent playlist just on Funimation alone.

That High School DxD life ;)

It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it.

That High School DxD life ;)

It makes for some high quality captures! Also, that set of Jetsons and Flintstones captures.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

That High School DxD life

More like Pani Poni Dash and Lucky Star lyfe.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Nay. Cancelled it some years ago now. Only got internet.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Lots of people still use Cable TV. In Australia, this isn't so common, but when I was visiting in Russia, pretty much everyone has Cable TV as it is cheap. Were talking $5 for Cable TV AND 100Mbps up and down a month.

hi.

We had dish TV for over 15 years but last year we trade it out for better internet, we were supose to get gig up and down but my mom changed it without telling anyone :( so we now just have 125 up and down.

I've never liked comcast so I avoided them for TV.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

My parents use it but I don't, because I browse TV channel over my PC over the web.

Most people I know use cable TV though, when people come over they can watch TV together.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My parents still do. They pay $50 for internet + landline + cable TV for 20 down/20 up. I moved out again because of med school and the one I'm applying for is just internet 25 down/25 up for $30.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I didn't even have cable when I was a kid, surprisingly we had internet.

I don't use cable TV, it's always a terrible experience. 

I don't feel like paying $50 a month for the privilege of watching ads 5 minutes of ads for every 10 minutes of programming, nor do I want to pay for channels I seriously couldn't give a single fuck if they disappeared. That price is for 18 Radio channels(that I can already get for free with a radio player/alarm clock/phone, funny that, and the 50 Stingray music channels, somehow that's a feature) + 23 shit channels(basic news, governmental shit and like, two channel that aren't super bad) and 10 "basic" channels of your choosing. (None of which are remotely interesting 80% of the time)

Why is it so hard for cable provider to just give us an Online "a-la-carte" way of watching channels, for say, $5 a month for a particular channel that you care about or $2 per shows you want to watch that are on other channels you're not subbed to.
But nooo, they just have to force us to pay for channels we don't care about before letting us pay for channels we do want and then pay extra to rent their god damn Cable Box which you wouldn't need if it was available Online. Fuck 'em, hope that industry dies.

I keep trying to tell my mother to cut off her cable subscription, but what else will she watch ? Netflix? She's French and knows like 2 words of English, more than half of the content on Netflix Canada is only in English and the other VOD services here all need the cable subscription to use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

We still have cable TV here coz my mom still prefers watching TV. Although I'm the one paying for it, I rarely watch TV nowadays unlike when I was still a kid. It's just around $10-11/month for 90+ SD channels and 10-ish channels, which isn't bad.

1 hour ago, EPENEX said:

I didn't even have cable when I was a kid, surprisingly we had internet.

Same, no cable out in the country side.  At best got three channels off the huge antenna outside. (still no cable even today out at my parents, I did get them a bigger antenna though.  Now they get around 15-18 channels since it can hit both stations in Florida panhandle and pickup the station in Dothan, AL).

Had dail-up though.  :P  I sure don't miss that.

Main reason I don't bother to have cable even now.  Never really got into it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Why is it so hard for cable provider to just give us an Online "a-la-carte" way of watching channels, for say, $5 a month for a particular channel that you care about or $2 per shows you want to watch that are on other channels you're not subbed to.
But nooo, they just have to force us to pay for channels we don't care about before letting us pay for channels we do want and then pay extra to rent their god damn Cable Box which you wouldn't need if it was available Online. Fuck 'em, hope that industry dies.

I know more services are attempting to do just that.  Sling is one such that i know of.

My family has it and watches it a lot, but I'm always on my computer and dont

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

CableTV is included in my internet subscription

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

21 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Just wondering how many of you all still have a cable tv subscription?  I decided when I moved out on my own to just get an internet plan.  Then again I have tastes of the weeb variety and have subscriptions to Crunchyroll and Funimation along with the family plan on Netflix and honestly find myself needing little else.  If I need local news or weather I just plug in my antennae.  Which I must add antennaes have gotten surprisingly sophisticated now in days.  Granted since I'm 25 miles outside the city that probably means I get good reception on public broadcasts.

i get it for free with my internet/cellular package, i sometimes watch sports and the oscars or something