Anyone still use Cable TV?

TacoSenpai

Use Cable TV?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Use Cable TV?

• Yay
    • Nay

Nope, I never bothered with cable, satellite, or antenna TV. 

I have family that still has analog TV, and they pay as much for that passive entertainment as I do for my internet.  It's crazy, especially considering that there's nothing interesting on whenever I visit them.

3 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Do you consider satellite tv "cable"?

I would lean towards no...

Nope, canceled it a few years ago. Never watched it. Maybe a single channel once in a long while. I just stream everything with Netflix/Prime, YouTube, etc...

For local channels I just have one of those HD Digital external antennas i bought from BestBuy. Works great.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

29 minutes ago, Steemax said:

Nope, canceled it a few years ago. Never watched it. Maybe a single channel once in a long while. I just stream everything with Netflix/Prime, YouTube, etc...

For local channels I just have one of those HD Digital external antennas i bought from BestBuy. Works great.

I'm curious what kind did you get?  Was it one of those you have to put outside?  I see that they always have a pretty decent selection.

Nothing but Internet at my house. My older family all pay for cable though, they just can't seem to get enough commercials and re-runs for some odd reason.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Pro

We made the switch about 4 yrs ago now and have not regretted it one bit.  I don't have a lot of time to sit down and watch TV to begin with and what the wife watches she can pick up on Hulu or Prime.  For national events and political debates I purchased a window antenna for the TV and it works really well.  HD channels for all the major news stations.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

My parents have a cable subscription that I use to record stuff. Normally it's because I'm busy when stuff is actually on but mostly I use the recordings until the series comes out on Netflix, Amazon Prime or normally DVD. When I watch stuff now I tend to just stick to DVDs or streaming. It's easier and there are very few ads.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

4 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I'm curious what kind did you get?  Was it one of those you have to put outside?  I see that they always have a pretty decent selection.

Yup it's one of the ones that go outside. I already had cable wired to the roof from a past satellite install so it was as easy as attaching it to the existing satellite mount and tightening the coaxial cable. 

I have the older version of this one. (not sure if links are allowed but) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas-direct-clearstream-2max-indoor-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/5851201.p?skuId=5851201

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

• 1 year later...

cut the cable almost 10 years ago. theres nothing you cant find to stream one way or another. and no commercials

We cut cable about 5 years ago and never looked back. Became tired of paying an absurd amount of money for garbage and mediocre service. We now use netflix, hulu and disney+ for the kids. Saves us about $50 a month. I can't wait for the day companies like Spectrum and Time Warner Cable file for bankruptcy.

I'm going to be cutting the cable here shortly, just have internet and media streaming services. For local news I will just use apps and websites. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

On 8/19/2018 at 10:38 PM, TacoSenpai said:

Why not? Yes, they are different technologies, but for the purposes of this thread, I would definitely consider Satellite TV and Cable TV to be "comparable".

Personally? We have Cable TV for free via our landlord, but I hardly ever use it. Every now and then I might subscribe if there's a killer deal with good internet, but usually cancel after the deal expires.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I watch the news while eating. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Negative, I cancelled it about ten years ago when I was a poor college student.

Now I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and Plex.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

On 8/19/2018 at 9:38 PM, TacoSenpai said:

I took the thread to be more about whether you pay for traditional television channel delivery rather than if you have cable specifically.

I still have satellite because last I looked, I couldn't get Fox News via streaming without already paying for it via cable or sat and I like to watch Adult Swim. I know I can get AS shows via streaming but I like to just put it on and watch whatever is on.