Ubisoft has exciting news: They've quietly cancelled Steep for Nintendo Switch a year after announcing it

AlTech

Ubisoft has cancelled Steep for the Nintendo Switch 1 year after announcing it. In their twitter response to 1 user's question, they explained that they had exciting news which was that Steep was cancelled for the Switch.

I have no idea how this could be at all exciting news.

Anybody who pre-purchased Steep for the Nintendo Switch may need to contact Nintendo or Ubisoft to get a refund.

It's possible that the Switch port was cancelled due to the perceived lack of potential for Live Services micro-transactions based games on the platform.

I'm quite shocked that Ubisoft didn't even announce that it was cancelled. Oh well, hopefully, nobody will lose sleep over this.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Didn't even know this was announced for Switch

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's possible that the Switch port was cancelled due to the perceived lack of potential for Live Services micro-transactions based games on the platform.

Might also be because all the graphical effects used to simulate snow woulda been too expensive on the Switch.

Yeah, Octopath Traveler has realistic snow particles but there aren't any snow physics in the game. Not to the extent of Steep's physics.

I mean it's better than seeing it coming out in a Wolfenstein II-like fashion.

As much as I'd say that graphics don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, when you can't even see things properly, I'd argue that you've gone too far to put a game onto a system that couldn't handle it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mean it's better than seeing it coming out in a Wolfenstein II-like fashion.

As much as I'd say that graphics don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, when you can't even see things properly, I'd argue that you've gone too far to put a game onto a system that couldn't handle it.

Especially Steep.With Doom and Wolfeinstein,dumbing down the graphics is something i can live with,but admiring the landscapes as I tumble down a mountain is one of the main points

My life

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The game is one of the very few Ubisoft games that isnt centralized around micro transactions. In my whole time playing Steep I havent come across any need for one, not even cosmetically as everything can be unlocked by completing levels in the game. Of course theres DLCs, but they actually add more content to the game.

2 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Might also be because all the graphical effects used to simulate snow woulda been too expensive on the Switch.

Im sure that this is why, or the physics required to simulate the way the skis move in the snow, which the game actually replicates extremely well

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Im sure that this is why, or the physics required to simulate the way the skis move in the snow, which the game actually replicates extremely well

Doesn't Tegra X1 support PhysX though?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's because of the physics simulation.

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

It's definitely not as exciting as Valve canceling HL3. 

But on a more serious note, this is yet another reason why people shouldn't pre-order 

I never pre-order a game digitally, until recently and found out you need to pay full price. But I've done a few pre-orders at GameStop and the minimum you have to pay is at little as $5 bucks. This guarantees that you will get a copy and whatever bonus stuffs it comes with, depending on the edition you buy. When the game has officially launch, all you need to do is bring in your receipt, and pay off the rest.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I never pre-order a game digitally, until recently and found out you need to pay full price. 

What? Worst chess move. Ever. 

Quickly, guys, pre-order the next CoD AND Battlefield. Then the day of release, ask for a return. Let's tank their stocks!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

What? Worst chess move. Ever. 

Quickly, guys, pre-order the next CoD AND Battlefield. Then the day of release, ask for a return. Let's tank their stocks!

Or just don't buy the game and their stock will still tank. :D

Order and refund, too much work.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Or just don't buy the game and their stock will still tank. :D

But won't they have tons of inventory they've already purchased? It's not like the publisher or disc producer will be willing to return the stock up the chain. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

I never pre-order a game digitally, until recently and found out you need to pay full price. But I've done a few pre-orders at GameStop and the minimum you have to pay is at little as $5 bucks. This guarantees that you will get a copy and whatever bonus stuffs it comes with, depending on the edition you buy. When the game has officially launch, all you need to do is bring in your receipt, and pay off the rest.

They even allow pre-ordering Amiibos.

But yeah, I abuse that system considering even if you put 5 bucks down, you can still decide to not buy the game.  Just move that 5 bucks to another game, along with you don't have to pick up the game on the day of release (they will hold it for a few days).

4 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Didn't even know this was announced for Switch

Yep, same here.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Doesn't Tegra X1 support PhysX though?

Not sure, but playing the game has an extremely complex Physics engine that the Switch probably cant handle well, the game would likely either have a completely different engine, or super shitty graphics to make up for it

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

To think some people had issues with Germany legislating pre-orders having a release date attached. Even if there are legitimate performance concerns, Ubisoft either knew this at the time and decided to sell software they did not know they could deliver. Alternatively, Ubisoft was not aware of any performance issues and just as bad, decided to sell a product without making sure it even ran on the console they are selling it for.

Even worse, the consumers that already put down the cash for this product has to find out by asking on Twitter.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

couldn't they drop the resolution to 360p like bethesda did for wolfenstein?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Ya the whole concept of pre-ordering came out because of the scarcity of physical goods. So pre-ordering is a way to make sure you get into the front of the queue on launch day.

It never made sense on digital distribution.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, Himommies said:

Especially Steep.With Doom and Wolfeinstein,dumbing down the graphics is something i can live with,but admiring the landscapes as I tumble down a mountain is one of the main points

To be fair I actually thought Doom ran very well on the Switch when I got it.  Sure, it doesn't look nearly as good as it does on my PC but its more than playable on the go.