Spectrum possibly losing rights to service New York State

mynameisjuan
4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

This will have a big impact. No one (at least in this area) will purchase the property. Coax is dead, fiber is the only way to go

If I hear anything I will keep updates here. He wont have to worry about losing internet, but how its going to be handled will be a mess.

A lot of jobs will be at stake. I dont see how they can be forced out. Komo is a moron and the point of his grant was getting internet to everyone and increasing jobs...the opposite of what this was supposed to do. 

You two never read my quotes I see. This wasnt an optional grant, Komo the moron mandated it requiring ever person in New York state to have a minimum of 25mbps and the project was supported by a grant. All ISPs in the area got a grant. Spectrum doesnt have lack of competition, right now in our area we are pretty split down the middle in terms of customers. This delay is the cause of lack of outside plant. No one is looking to work at an ISP even though starting pay is around $25/hr completely green. Spectrum is short and so is ALL ISPs in this area. 

Low man power is the main cause along with the amount of emergency outages. Winds and weather have wrecked a lot of infrastructure this year, fiber cuts, power surges, power loss. During these times people dedicated to work on the grant need to be migrated. Add to it that the parts where this grant is expanding to are 1,2,3 hours+ to get to....yeah its rough for everyone. 

I see. Yeah then what I said doesn't really apply here. I am unsure why it would all fall on one isp then though. Why aren't other isps getting in trouble?

8 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Hah, you think the state taking over will fix that? I thought people were up in arms about net neutrality but now lets give the government literally direct access to your connection.

Okay I said that because my situation is a little unique. My township doesn't approve permits for non-local businesses unless there is no local alternative. Unfortunately there is a local reseller that's cheapest broadband connection is $130/month for 30Mbps. How about next time being a little less of a prick before knowing the actual situation.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Sounds reasonable, if they can't deliver they shouldn't have taken the grant in the first place. They should have been able to finish it but they didn't because they didn't think there would be many or any consequences it seems

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

As a New York Spectrum Customer... This does concern me. They did quadruple our internet speeds for free (Plans now starting at 100mbs down/12 up) but then again I live closer to the capital than to the Adirondacks (though not close enough to get fiber)

I'm mostly concerned about who's taking over, should Spectrum/Charter be forced to leave the state. Hopefully Verizon Fios expands it's fiber network further (300 sequential would be awesome)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

As a New York Spectrum Customer... This does concern me. They did quadruple our internet speeds for free (Plans now starting at 100mbs down/12 up) but then again I live closer to the capital than to the Adirondacks (though not close enough to get fiber)

I'm mostly concerned about who's taking over, should Spectrum/Charter be forced to leave the state. Hopefully Verizon Fios expands it's fiber network further (300 sequential would be awesome)

Sounds like the Glens falls area. Yeah a lot of people have wireless fiber as running cable in that terrain and that long of distances can be difficult. 

Verizon has started their fiber deployment on a massive scale in upstate.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Sounds like the Glens falls area. Yeah a lot of people have wireless fiber as running cable in that terrain and that long of distances can be difficult. 

Verizon has started their fiber deployment on a massive scale in upstate.

A little south of that but I dont want to be too specific ;) Wireless would be good. I feel like it can be hard to understand the terain in the mountains sometimes, though to their point, there was no way anyone was going to expand to every customer in two years. A lot of the population is condensed, but there's quite a few stragglers in the mountains only getting 3mbps from a private ISP because they live 45 minutes away from the nearest town thats has a population more than 1500... So while I partially sympathize with Spectrum on that regard, they do not earn my forgiveness.

I've seen it around me but they have yet to expand it where I currently reside. Go 10 minutes south though and it's plentiful!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

So while I partially sympathize with Spectrum on that regard, they do not earn my forgiveness.

They def dont deserve forgiveness but our techs in that area face the same difficulties. Fiber is throughout the heart of the towns but about 10-20 miles out we have wireless deployments, which work way better then I thought. I was concerned about signal and the trees.

But internet is the  least of your worries in that area, the amount of power issues is insane. :P

On 7/27/2018 at 11:14 PM, Brehohn said:

I personally work for Spectrum as one of their techs. Honestly, this sucks. They are going to penalize a company for not meeting a goal, for $2 million? New York seems to be asking for the impossible to happen. Why do they care so much? Spectrum can only TRY to sell people. They can't force them. No one else is going to want to buy what we leave behind there especially if they don't even work on hybrid fiber coax! Spectrum is currently ambitious and have been a much better company than Time Warner and Comcast BY FAR. I mean, we went from 50Meg to 100Meg for free and now 200Meg FOR FREE. Same pricing, higher speeds.

New York, don't do this. I feel like this is just for money and honestly, it's kind of pathetic. A company can only do as much as their budget allows.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:05 PM, Cornontheecob said:

Well internet is still a privilege not a right so i guess the customers in New York might get shafted on this one. Sounds like Spectrum along with the other ISP are trying to complete the expansion but like in most construction jobs delays happen, unforseen issues arise and manpower always lacks. 

https://www.techspot.com/news/75754-spectrum-allegedly-throttled-content-providers-netflix-riot-games.html

they got what they deserve

On 7/27/2018 at 4:38 PM, mynameisjuan said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/26/17617792/spectrum-expand-braodband-network-fail-new-york-operations-charter-communications

Announced this afternoon was the possibility of Spectrum to lose rights to provide service in the state of New York. This is quite big not only for customers but local ISPs and competition. I being part of the local ISPs do have some input and concern of this.

In 2016 there was a grant provided to multiple ISPs to expand their network out to the remote location throughout New York. It was a very ambitious plan requiring the expansion of 1000s of square miles. While Spectrum does have OSP (outside plant) dedicated to purely laying cable or fiber, the work force is not large enough to cover the territory requested. 

We are part of this grant as well I can attest to the amount of work we are putting in also Spectrum and the 3 other providers in the area. The work force is very low in this area in terms of hiring and retention and at times the people being dedicated need to be pulled off to work on emergency outages, delaying the grant. 

2 years for this grant was unreasonable for not just Spectrum but local ISPs as well needing to cover much less ground. 

Punishments are TBD but there are local news sites suggesting 60 day period to sell their property along with a solution to slowly migrate people seemlessly to a new service. This was a huge shock to all of us in the area and we are unsure how this will workout or who will buy their property. I know for sure that all the available ISPs in the area will honestly not look at buying the property because of the scale of the grant and the cost of the employees. 

As a ISP network engineer in New York and personally see what goes on behind the scenes this news shocked me. New York state is not easy terrain to work with. A huge majority of home that this is supposed to target are in the Adirondack moutains. They want speed minimum of 25mbps to all customers and in order to provide it reliably construction has to be done on steep slopes with hard bedrock, some times running 15miles of cable for one customer. With cost underfunded and losing workers, this task is proving difficult for multiple ISPs. 

We have a solution we are working on and its wireless based. Testing did show good results but there are problems with the amount of trees and interference. Running fiber is already in progress but its taking a toll on the workers and sometimes extremely dangerous.

This is going to be interesting if Spectrum is going to be sold or just fined because it will change competition in our area dramatically. As for Spectrum, this is going to hurt because the amount of revenue made from New York city alone. 

This isn't a maybe it's a yes.  Because they were delayed and owe $3 million in fines they have 60 days to stay on uninterrupted and have to help NY find a provider to cover. I live here and it's a fucking nightmare.  I hope we don't end up with xfinity.  I have never had a problem with spectrum and if i do they handle it professionally.  TWc was a literal joke but the overtake fixed a lot.  

Read these articles

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/spectrum_says_its_ready_to_fight_for_years_to_stay_in_new_york.html

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/new_york_acts_to_boot_spectrum_cable_out_of_the_state.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/1/17639976/charter-threat-new-york-lawsuit-spectrum

Hurray for our Canadian overlords at Shaw and Telus? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Please tell me you're joking....

No, I'm not.

Just look the shit up that's going on with the big energy companys like Vattenfall & Co.

For example privatize the profit but the Toxic Waste (or the Radioactive one) has to be stored at the expanse of the Taxpayer. And also some other things, in short: They treat their customers like shit.

For example the usual 2Year long Contracts you can't get out of

With State owned Companys they are more bureaucratic towards the customer, infrastructure stuff (Telephone Company but especially Power) they are (or at least can be) cheaper than the privately owned Companys.

Though If I'd do that, I'd do a multi level Company with Community operated for your city and state or federal gouvernment for the cables from the city sign to the world.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, I'm not.

Just look the shit up that's going on with the big energy companys like Vattenfall & Co.

For example privatize the profit but the Toxic Waste (or the Radioactive one) has to be stored at the expanse of the Taxpayer. And also some other things, in short: They treat their customers like shit.

For example the usual 2Year long Contracts you can't get out of

With State owned Companys they are more bureaucratic towards the customer, infrastructure stuff (Telephone Company but especially Power) they are (or at least can be) cheaper than the privately owned Companys.

Though If I'd do that, I'd do a multi level Company with Community operated for your city and state or federal gouvernment for the cables from the city sign to the world.

State owned companies dont work here in the US. All the old timers call that Communism and it seems people still fear the commies. 

One thing is a lot of people, mostly the old bastards that dont like change dont want to use tax payer dollars. Me Im all for community broadband, but you also have to have a responsible government to provide. Thats another issue here in the US. We dont have responsible government. 

Frankly I dont have faith in my governments ability to provide this. I mean the local school district which when I was in school used to be the best in the state. Now its a sack of shit, many parents are now choosing private, charter, or outside the district for school. Its the Governments job to provide clean drinking water, look up the crisis in Flint Michigan, they fucking failed hardcore. To the point deaths have happen and children have lead poisoning. Thats not even bringing up the failures of the Federal government, which we wont discuss here. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.