Important Windows 7 & 8.1 updates part of telemetry data collection

Sources: Softpedia

MSPowerUser

Microsoft is pushing Windows 7 & 8.1 "important updates" that are part of their telemetry.

...both KB2952664 and KB2976978, for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, respectively, were previously available for download, but with a big difference: Microsoft listed them as optional updates, which means that those who wanted to deploy them had to do the whole thing manually.

But as it turns out, the two updates are now listed as critical, which means that all devices are getting them via Windows Update...

Microsoft says the two updates are just “compatibility updates for keeping Windows up-to-date,”...

“This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. The diagnostics evaluate the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem, and help Microsoft to ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. There is no GWX or upgrade functionality contained in this update,”...

The articles state it seems all PCs that get the updates will part of the data collection regardless if they are part of the Microsoft’s experience improvement/usage analysis programs or have opted out, contrary to Microsoft's statement.

The updates automatically activate DoScheduledTelemetryRun , a process that records and sends telemetry data, even on devices that do not participate in the Windows Software Usage Analysis program.

My thoughts: I understand the importance & usefulness to collect data. It helps to fix, optimize, innovate, etc. However I firmly believe that it should always be on a opt-in/opt-out basis. I find it strange that Microsoft is pushing data collection on Windows 7 & 8.1. Could it be that they want accurate numbers on how many are still hanging onto the now aging OSes? Do they want to more user information to better sell it? It might be the cynic in me but I find it to hard to believe Microsoft here. To me there has to be more reasons to force data collection further, especially when this time it's outside of Windows 10.

Leaving automatic updates turned on in any Windows version is just asking for trouble.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Leaving automatic updates turned on in any Windows version is just asking for trouble.

guess what? In windows 10 it's nearly impossible to turn them off. lol

Microsoft has like a vendetta against it's own users. they want to know anything and everything about them. I really wonder what they do with this information since they want it sooo badly

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Microsoft has like a vendetta against it's own users. they want to know anything and everything about them.

It's more frustrating, but still possible in Windows 10. This blog post details some ways it can be done. I think that Spybot Anti-Beacon also provides a one-click method to disable WU in Windows 10 (haven't verified it, though).

I really wonder what they do with this information since they want it sooo badly

Like Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, Microsoft sells the personal data they collect for profit. Microsoft has said this in their own documents, and it is why Microsoft paid a lobbyist firm to oppose California's new law requiring companies to provide people who own and use their products and services with an option to disallow their personal data from being collected and from being sold.

However, a major difference between Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Twitter, and Microsoft is that Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Twitter are all services that people engage with but which they don't own or hold licenses over. Windows 10 is different in that it is not a service and is a product which people buy and own. So, whereas people visit services online as guests and aren't entitled to call the shots on those services they are guests at, what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 and data collection is paramount to a thief breaking into your house, stealing your possessions, and then selling them on a black market.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they want to know anything and everything about them

And like your phone network provider doesn't know anything about you...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Services > windows update > disabled.

4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Services > windows update > disabled.

That isn't effective as of Windows 10 1803. The Windows Update service will restart itself, as will scheduled tasks relating to Windows Update in Task Scheduler.

One of the methods that I listed in the blog post I linked to should work, though.

Just go action centre, action centre settings and opt out of the customer improvement program. 

For those who say this is fine and you can disable it easily in Windows 10, is it really if you have to use 3rd party programs to disable and block connections which you never wanted in the first place?

It used to be that feedback would lead to things being fixed and that more was almost always better. Today Microsoft pretty much forces us to use an online account (timeline offline - 1 day, with Microsoft account -30 days) while every update causes havoc, pain and frustration. For your current business plan Microsoft it really is:

giphy.gif

install Linux. problem solved.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Linux isn't a desktop OS.  I mean, you *can* use it as a desktop OS in the same way you *can* get to the grocery story by dragging your balls across 5 miles of pavement....just don't do it though.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's funny that you haven't replied to my last comment that was for you. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

macOS on my Desktop is starting to look might fine.......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It's funny that you haven't replied to my last comment that was for you. 

what can I say? of course they know things about you.

is there anything I can do about it? No. Can I avoid windows? yes.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Problem is having to buy an Apple computer. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Soon I'm gonna just go ahead and switch to Linux. I can't stand have Micro$oft shit on my computer any longer.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

what can I say? of course they know things about you.

is there anything I can do about it? No. Can I avoid windows? yes.

But you complain about like it's a major problem, when it isn't. In reality all modern day tech collects data about you, if you have a problem with that then don't use technology. Seriously go off grid. 

زندگی از چراغ

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Mojave have automatic updates though. Atleast you can opt out.. For now. 

46 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

But you complain about like it's a major problem, when it isn't. In reality all modern day tech collects data about you, if you have a problem with that then don't use technology. Seriously go off grid. 

Thats my point of view. Companies have been collecting data long before its public, they just tell you nowadays. If you dont want data collected then dont use tech. I can guarantee that Apple gathers some info temporarily because they need data also to push the features they are pushing. Ubuntu is beginning too as well. 

I honestly dont care if they know the sites I go to, just dont key log my machine. 

And people thought staying with Windows 7/8.1 was going to keep them safe from this hahahaa. Those who seriously thought there was no possibility of Microsoft shoehorning that telemetry stuff into Windows 7 or 8.1 through an update, they're delusional. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And people thought staying with Windows 7/8.1 was going to keep them safe from this hahahaa. Those who seriously thought there was no possibility of Microsoft shoehorning that telemetry stuff into Windows 7 or 8.1 through an update, they're delusional. 

Microsoft has been doing that since summer 2015, and people are already aware of it. But in Windows 7 Windows Update can be easily turned off, and individual updates can be uninstalled or blocked easily.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Like Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, Microsoft sells the personal data they collect for profit. Microsoft has said this in their own documents, and it is why Microsoft paid a lobbyist firm to oppose California's new law requiring companies to provide people who own and use their products and services with an option to disallow their personal data from being collected and from being sold.

Incorrect. Telemetry data collection from Windows is not sold. Please read the Privacy Policy of Windows, it is written in plain English for your understanding, no lawyers required. But I guess why read that, when you can read title of click-bait articles and assume the rest, right?

7 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Microsoft has been doing that since summer 2015, and people are already aware of it. But in Windows 7 Windows Update can be easily turned off, and individual updates can be uninstalled or blocked easily.

Incorrect. Windows Experience Program (telemetry data collecting) start since the introduction of Windows XP.

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

Soon I'm gonna just go ahead and switch to Linux. I can't stand have Micro$oft shit on my computer any longer.

You should also sell your Nvidia GPU.

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

Just go action centre, action centre settings and opt out of the customer improvement program. 

For those who say this is fine and you can disable it easily in Windows 10, is it really if you have to use 3rd party programs to disable and block connections which you never wanted in the first place?

It used to be that feedback would lead to things being fixed and that more was almost always better. Today Microsoft pretty much forces us to use an online account (timeline offline - 1 day, with Microsoft account -30 days) while every update causes havoc, pain and frustration. For your current business plan Microsoft it really is:

giphy.gif

I don't see it in Action Center?