What bodily function uses the most calories?

_Riley_

So like I know that throughout the day your today uses wuite a but of calories to keep you alive but I'm curious which of those functions takes the most energy. Keeping your brain fed, keeping your heart pumping, etc.. 

Just curious ??

Thank you!

That would depend on what you do in a day.

But generally the brain is the single biggest consumer of calories in the human body.

I believe the brain, on average, consume about 20% of the body's energy, or about 400 calories a day, but don't quote me on that.

But if you're a long distance runner, then I would imagine that one of the greater thigh muscles would become the biggest consumer.

Edit: 

Found it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2980962/

Overall the brain is the largest consumer of energy (with a total of 292.91 calories/day), closely followed by the liver (with 252.98 calories/day). On a weight/power scale, the heart and the kidneys are the largest consumers of energy (with 440 calories pr. kg/day). 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's either your brain, heart, or your legs. If you're looking to lose weight, start working everything out. Read a book on multiple worlds theory while you lift weights and run a marathon. You'll either have a great workout or not depending on what universe you're in. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 minutes ago, Volbet said:

don't quote me on that.

I do what I want.

17 minutes ago, Volbet said:

believe the brain, on average, consume about 20% of the body's energy

You'd be correct. 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Read a book on multiple worlds theory while you lift weights and run a marathon

That's my favorite hypothesis!

Well, outside of ones revolving arou d FNAF and Mario.

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You'll either have a great workout or not depending on what universe you're in.

My favorite universe is the one where Multiverses don't exist.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Volbet said:

You're a rebel. I like that in you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqQWYWVJ2RGnvC_Zg0Vh9

We're apparently in the "someone likes @Drak3" multiverse. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I believe it's your brain, since I've heard many times that it was an incredibly expensive evolutionary investment due to how much energy it consumed in comparison to the benefits it initially provided. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Your liver uses the most energy if we look at the basal metabolic rate (how much energy your body uses just to function). 

The liver is somewhere north of 25% of the energy consumed, and the brain is slightly below 20%.

Your brain uses the most energy, however it does not utilise fatty acids due to low blood perfusion. Your brain uses glucose and ketone bodies as fuel.

Your brain has a lot to do, and regulates many of your bodily functions. 

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

my answer is too nsfw for this forum

Thats quite correct. If you are looking for what processes, then sex will burn the most energy. 

You can effectively measure energy production as proportional to oxygen consumption and hence, blood flow. 5b54e595e09ee_ScreenShot2018-07-23at8_14_00am.png.46f6fc7723161b69c3835db6998c42b8.png

Attached is a diagram so you can compare. As you can see the brain gets the most blood flow, however skeletal muscle increases during exercise. Remember the size of the organs, you have more muscle mass than brain matter, so effectively the brain would get a larger percentage.

completely non scientific and possibly coincidental but according to my apple watch i once burned 50 calories pooping that was a proud day although i probably should of eaten more fibre xD

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Depends on various factors like activity, genetics, if you even have that part, and more.  xD Sitting all day or laying all day is called being sedentary which burns like no calories at all.  Technically, iirc, cardio burns the most.  I usually burn anywhere from 1200-2400 k calories a day leaving my body to burn the remaining 1300-1500 on its own. I think, but not sure it is true, the brain can burn as much as 20 percent of your daily calories, I think, the stomach burns a lot too, and so does the heart.  But, you also have to factor in metabolism too.

Hold on a minute, you're saying:

1. You consume ~2500-3900 calories per day, and

2. You exert enough physical activity to burn 1200-2400 of those calories?

You realize that's the equivalent of running either a half marathon (21 km) or a full marathon (42 km) every day?

I have to assume there's a miscommunication here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, peej said:

completely non scientific and possibly coincidental but according to my apple watch i once burned 50 calories pooping that was a proud day although i probably should of eaten more fibre xD

Depending on how much effort your putting into the poop I wouldn't doubt 50 calories.

Eat some all bran too.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Hold on a minute, you're saying:

1. You consume ~2500-3900 calories per day, and

2. You exert enough physical activity to burn 1200-2400 of those calories?

You realize that's the equivalent of running either a half marathon (21 km) or a full marathon (42 km) every day?

I have to assume there's a miscommunication here.

It would depend on his/her body weight, average metabolic rate, and his pace.

I eat well in excess of 2500 Cal/day, over five or six meals, and run 5 miles every other day while still maintaining my 200 Lb weight. 

There's not enough information to draw proper conclusions. 

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Depending on how much effort your putting into the poop I wouldn't doubt 50 calories.

Enough to make a spirit bomb. 

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Eat some all bran too.

"People of Earth, lend me your energy"

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

If you're looking to lose weight

giphy.gif 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

22 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

It's either your brain, heart, or your legs. If you're looking to lose weight, start working everything out. Read a book on multiple worlds theory while you lift weights and run a marathon. You'll either have a great workout or not depending on what universe you're in. 

Like that one scene from death note where L says to misa “I find that with mental stimulation, it doesn’t matter how many calories you consume as your mind burns it off.” (I wish I could have found a video clip) 

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

is this why i keep eating cookies ,_,

I'm wondering if people that can "eat whatever they want & not get fat" don't have a high metabolism but instead are just thinking more than people that get fat easily. 

Now I feel like I'm calling fat people stupid...

14 hours ago, fpo said:

I'm wondering if people that can "eat whatever they want & not get fat" don't have a high metabolism but instead are just thinking more than people that get fat easily. 

Now I feel like I'm calling fat people stupid...

That's not the case though.

The basal metabolic rate doesn't vary that much when comparing people in similar groups (age, sex and weight).

The reason why some people can "eat whatever they want and not get fat" is because they naturally eat fairly well.

The reason why some people can eat "next to nothing" and still gain weight is because they suck at actually counting what they are eating.

Actually, people in general are extremely bad at estimating how much or how little they are eating.

The whole thing about "fast" or "slow" metabolism is an excuse people come up with when they simply fail to properly estimate how much they have eaten. It is a real phenomenon, but it's extremely rare to have so fast or so slow that it actually makes any meaningful impact.

At the end of the day, our bodies has to follow the laws of thermodynamics.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That's not the case though.

The basal metabolic rate doesn't vary that much when comparing people in similar groups (age, sex and weight).

The reason why some people can "eat whatever they want and not get fat" is because they naturally eat fairly well.

The reason why some people can eat "next to nothing" and still gain weight is because they suck at actually counting what they are eating.

Actually, people in general are extremely bad at estimating how much or how little they are eating.

The whole thing about "fast" or "slow" metabolism is an excuse people come up with when they simply fail to properly estimate how much they have eaten. It is a real phenomenon, but it's extremely rare to have so fast or so slow that it actually makes any meaningful impact.

At the end of the day, our bodies has to follow the laws of thermodynamics.

Eating well includes taking care of your microbiome, which helps use the food you eat correctly. Microbiome imbalances are associated with all kinds of illnesses, including obesity.

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

Eating well includes taking care of your microbiome, which helps use the food you eat correctly. Microbiome imbalances are associated with all kinds of illnesses, including obesity.

The research on that is very inconclusive right now. At best there have been observations that obese people can have decreased Bacteroidetes and increased Firmicutes, but that may be the result of obesity and lousy eating habits, rather than the cause.

That is to say, being fat can lead to gut microbiome imbalance, but there is no solid evidence that microbiome imbalance will make you fat.

If no one else is going to say it I will :P

Sex burns a flying shit ton of calories.

That's an F in the profile pic

@LAwLz explains why my brother is thicker. He’d always eat tons of candy & I was never a huge fan of it. 

Physics does a lot more for explaining things than I considered. I’ll bring this up next time I see my friend majoring in it & see what he thinks. Thanks!!!! 

What bodily function uses the most calories?

Guitar Hero: Dragonforce - Through the Fire and the Flames 1 hour edition

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25