Facebook allows NASA child slave colony on Mars posts

rcmaehl

Sources:
Tech Crunch

Business Insider

TL;DR:

Despite attempting to combat "fake news" Facebook has refused to ban Infowars in fear that it would create a Martyr in the conspiracy community

Quotes/Excerpts:

Infowars is a fake news-peddler. But Facebook deleting its Page could ignite a fire that consumes the network... This week Facebook held an event with journalists to discuss how it combats fake news. explained that, “I guess just for being false, that doesn’t violate the community standards." sites like it that constantly and purposely share dangerous hoaxes and conspiracy theories “We don’t have a policy that stipulates that everything posted on Facebook must be true — you can imagine how hard that would be to enforce,” rumors and fake news spread through forwarded WhatsApp messages have led to crowds lynching people in India and attacks in Myanmar.

has claimed that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax with actors. The outlet has also said 9/11 was a so-called false flag and that the moon landings were faked. Jones also promoted the Pizzagate conspiracy theory, for which he apologized after being threatened with lawsuits.comments drew criticism from journalists, Facebook followed up with a series of posts on Twitter defending its position. A group of brands including Nike suspended their advertising on YouTube after they discovered their ads were being run alongside Infowars' channels.

My thoughts:

I can understand allowing Satire such as TheOnion on Facebook, even with Facebook marking it as Satire nowadays. However, obvious repeat offenders of obvious Conspiracy theories should not be allowed.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I'll take the potentially unpopular opinion here.  Why should I let Facebook...no anyone for that matter tell me what is fake news?  Are they basically trying to tell the individual that they are incapable of doing that themselves and we need Big Brother Zucc to do it for us?

Agreed, it's up to the individual not a corporation with it's own sets of interests and agendas to determine which information is relevant and factual. If you believe everything you see on the internet, that's your own fault. It's basic common sense to take everything you see on the web with a grain of salt.

Now that "fake news" has been tossed around left and right, I highly recommend this video regardless which part of the political spectrum you position yourself which details the history of fake news and why do people fall for it and what are echo chambers. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

they shouldn't ban anything. Fuck em. If people wanna believe people are space enslaving children on mars, fuck em. Low gravity is easier labor anyway 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

they shouldn't ban anything. Fuck em. If people wanna believe people are space enslaving children on mars, fuck em. Low gravity is easier labor anyway 

62% less gravity means 62% more work right?

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

All I know is a person that is 18 in martian years is probably about 33 ish in earth years, so they really probably aren't children by earth standards, so this is certainly fake news. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Eventually it will run so efficiently that all the physical labor will be done by a single Australian man!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Bruh do you even Gravity?

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Eventually it will run so efficiently that all the physical labor will be done by a single Australian man!

Saxton Hale? Junkrat? That one dude with a "survival" show?

26 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I'll take the potentially unpopular opinion here.  Why should I let Facebook...no anyone for that matter tell me what is fake news?  Are they basically trying to tell the individual is incapable of doing that themselves and we need Big Brother Zucc to do it for us?

Agree, this is like banning the tabloid magazines at the grocery.

Infowars has plenty of crazy nonsense, but they also have plenty non conspiracy theory content involving politics, etc. Hell, look at Alex Jones documentary inside Bohemian Grove, that documentary alone proves that Jones is not 100% full of shit, though I'd believe he's close to 70%. 

Furthermore conspiracy theories and fake news are mutually exclusive by definition. If a conspiracy theory were proven incorrect, in which fake news must be, then it is no longer a conspiracy theory.

17 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Exactly, any blocking of media sources for news(bogus or not) is basically public thought control no matter how trivial the outlet.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

29 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Wait people still use Facebook?

40-60 year olds mostly, but yes.

(If you ignore messenger, young people use that)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

I'll take the potentially unpopular opinion here.  Why should I let Facebook...no anyone for that matter tell me what is fake news?  Are they basically trying to tell the individual that they are incapable of doing that themselves and we need Big Brother Zucc to do it for us?

In an ideal world with an intelligent populous I ABSOLUTELY agree with you.

However, we live in a world of dumbfucks and drooling morons that amaze me when they survive tying their shoes without using a helmet and a rollcage, so I don't expect most people to be able to parse what's real and what's fake. 

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

1 hour ago, infamoustrey said:

Agreed, it's up to the individual not a corporation with it's own sets of interests and agendas to determine which information is relevant and factual. If you believe everything you see on the internet, that's your own fault. It's basic common sense to take everything you see on the web with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Agree, this is like banning the tabloid magazines at the grocery.

Infowars has plenty of crazy nonsense, but they also have plenty non conspiracy theory content involving politics, etc. Hell, look at Alex Jones documentary inside Bohemian Grove, that documentary alone proves that Jones is not 100% full of shit, though I'd believe he's close to 70%. 

Furthermore conspiracy theories and fake news are mutually exclusive by definition. If a conspiracy theory were proven incorrect, in which fake news must be, then it is no longer a conspiracy theory.

Exactly, any blocking of media sources for news(bogus or not) is basically public thought control no matter how trivial the outlet.

FaceBook is a private entity. The can block whatever the f**k they want. How many of you are complaining about the lack of pro Hillary articles on Breitbart?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

11 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

FaceBook is a private entity. The can block whatever the f**k they want. How many of you are complaining about the lack of pro Hillary articles on Breitbart?

I agree that they are a private entity, but they claim to be a platform, not a publisher. This is where the problem lies. Breitbart, The New York Times, DailyWire, Wall Street Journal, etc. are publishers. They are responsible for everything in their publication/on their website, and they can remove an article before publishing, or take one down, if they desire. They are supposed to vet everything. If a picture is used in their publication without the creator/photographer’s permission in an article, the publisher gets sued, not the author. (That’s why publishers always give credit or use their own photographers). 

Facebook claims to be a platform, in the case of being a platform, they should allow all legal things to be posted. Once they start vetting and editing and such, they become a publisher.

Here’s a hypothetical situation that could occur in a “Facebook as a Publisher” World:

Now Joe Schmoe sets a pretty sunset as his profile picture, but Joe Schmoe didn’t take the photo, Jane Lane did. Jane Lane now knows that Facebook is now supposed to vet content, so it’s Facebook’s fault someone is using her photograph (which she had behind a paywall before it somehow got distributed) without permission. Jane Lane sues Facebook for allowing someone to use her photo on their vetted website without her permission. Will she win? Probably not, but it’s a dumb lawsuit Facebook has to deal with (and probably the first of many). 

This is one of many reasons Facebook should stick to being a platform, and not be a publisher. 

4 minutes ago, sanfilippo12 said:

I agree that they are a private entity, but they claim to be a platform, not a publisher. This is where the problem lies. Breitbart, The New York Times, DailyWire, Wall Street Journal, etc. are publishers. They are responsible for everything in their publication/on their website, and they can remove an article before publishing, or take one down, if they desire. They are supposed to vet everything. If a picture is used in their publication without the creator/photographer’s permission in an article, the publisher gets sued, not the author. (That’s why publishers always give credit or use their own photographers). 

Facebook claims to be a platform, in the case of being a platform, they should allow all legal things to be posted. Once they start vetting and editing and such, they become a publisher.

Here’s a hypothetical situation that could occur in a “Facebook as a Publisher” World:

Now Joe Schmoe sets a pretty sunset as his profile picture, but Joe Schmoe didn’t take the photo, Jane Lane did. Jane Lane now knows that Facebook is now supposed to vet content, so it’s Facebook’s fault someone is using her photograph (which she had behind a paywall before it somehow got distributed) without permission. Jane Lane sues Facebook for allowing someone to use her photo on their vetted website without her permission. Will she win? Probably not, but it’s a dumb lawsuit Facebook has to deal with (and probably the first of many). 

This is one of many reasons Facebook should stick to being a platform, and not be a publisher. 

A platform isn't under any obligation to do anything.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Correct. They should take no responsibility for what is posted on their platform. 

For example, AT&T takes no responsibility for what is said over their platform. They don’t vet, edit, or censor phone calls. 

If Facebook is going to claim to be a platform, they need to act like it and do nothing about the user-posted content. 

Once they vet, edit, and censor, they become a publisher and they become responsible for everything posted. 

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Hell, look at Alex Jones documentary inside Bohemian Grove, that documentary alone proves that Jones is not 100% full of shit, though I'd believe he's close to 70%. 

Actually I would argue that point. I'd heard about this and how it was supposed to be better than other of his stuff. Really it's poorly researched and he makes up a bunch of crap about it too. I found someone who described the problems well, and they are a conspiracy theorist themselves pointing out his crap

http://skepticproject.com/articles/alex-jones/dark-secrets-inside-bohemian-grove/

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

10 minutes ago, sanfilippo12 said:

Correct. They should take no responsibility for what is posted on their platform. 

For example, AT&T takes no responsibility for what is said over their platform. They don’t vet, edit, or censor phone calls. 

If Facebook is going to claim to be a platform, they need to act like it and do nothing about the user-posted content. 

Once they vet, edit, and censor, they become a publisher and they become responsible for everything posted. 

According to the new Supreme Court pick ISPs have a first amendment right to filter and edit content as they please.

21 minutes ago, sanfilippo12 said:

Nope. You're just making shit up.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Nope. You're just making shit up.

I’m really not making stuff up. Why would I do that?  I did research and posted my findings. Would you like my sources?

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I agree, but at this point they either get rid of all fake news or none of it... paradoxically, by removing other fake news but leaving infowars alone they are basically endorsing it.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Wait people still use Facebook?

More people than ever as a matter of fact. Also, let me remind you that facebook owns whatsapp and instagram too so you can expect this sort of policy to affect those platforms in the long run.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

From what little I've seen of Alex Jones, even the stuff that isn't conspiracy theories is mostly bullshit or a selective, twisted outlook on the facts. Maybe he does tell the truth at times, but only if it suits him - I'd say he can't be trusted.

51 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Legally they can do whatever they want on their own site (as long as it's not, well, illegal), and blocking content on their platform is not censorship - this doesn't mean we can't criticize them for what they do.

26 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Yes they are, although it doesn't apply to this specifically. They must remove illegal stuff if it is brought to their attention, for instance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Sources:
Tech Crunch

Business Insider

TL;DR:

Despite attempting to combat "fake news" Facebook has refused to ban Infowars in fear that it would create a Martyr in the conspiracy community

Quotes/Excerpts:

My thoughts:

I can understand allowing Satire such as TheOnion on Facebook, even with Facebook marking it as Satire nowadays. However, obvious repeat offenders of obvious Conspiracy theories should not be allowed.

They should probably ban posts that insight violence like the ones references in the article that caused violence in India. Much easier to enforce than trying to ban all fake information.