Judgment Day Nears for EU’s ‘Piracy Filters’

jagdtigger

https://torrentfreak.com/judgment-day-nears-for-eus-piracy-filters-180604/

he EU's plans to modernize copyright law in Europe are moving ahead. With a crucial vote coming up later this month, protests from various opponents are on the rise as well. They warn that the proposed plans will result in "Internet filters" which threaten people's ability to freely share content online. According to Pirate Party MEP Julia Reda, these filters will hurt regular Internet users, but also creators and businesses.

In short, the relevant text states that online services are liable for any uploaded content unless they take “effective and proportionate” action to prevent copyright infringements, identified by copyright holders. That also includes preventing these files from being reuploaded.

A main point of critique is that the automated upload checks will lead to overblocking, as they are often ill-equipped to deal with issues such as fair use.

“The proposal would require platforms to filter all uploads by their users for potential copyright infringements – not just YouTube and Facebook, but also services like WordPress, TripAdvisor, or even Tinder. We know from experience that these algorithmic filters regularly make mistakes and lead to the mass deletion of legal uploads,” Julia Reda tells TF.

“It will make those Internet giants even stronger, because they will be the only ones able to develop and sell the filtering technologies necessary to comply with the law. A true lose-lose situation for European Internet users, authors and businesses,” Reda tells us.

Why im not surprised by this... Its just insane that a private industry gets this much protection without checking if their issues are self induced or not. GDPR wasnt good for some companies, but this is even worse.  At this rate those good for nothing parasites will get an effective censorship over the internet and silence anything that do not fit their tastes. Sorry but the rest of my thoughts wouldnt pass the profanity filter/cant be translated to English... :D

BTW please try to stay clear of politics and flame wars over "piracy is theft", etc. Both sides have valid arguments but giving the private sector this much power is both dumb and dangerous.

this is extremely dumb and disappointing. Europe is inching closer and closer to a police state. And like its stated in the article the only people that have the funds to develop good enough filters are the tech giants. Its almost like they are in bed with them with the way they are acting with these laws.

That's stupid, hopefully “effective and proportionate” action ends up being mostly nothing as soon as they realize it's impossible to do it effectively.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, ItsJosh18 said:

this is extremely dumb and disappointing. Europe is inching closer and closer to a police state. And like its stated in the article the only people that have the funds to develop good enough filters are the tech giants. Its almost like they are in bed with them with the way they are acting with these laws.

This is also some interesting timing right after they distract everyone with how good GDPR seems, add in an overreaching law to protect from piracy lol.

I am not in the least bit surprised. Money speaks louder than ideals, you know. We've all been on a downward slope ever since Internet was invented and the slope is just getting steeper -- mark my words, this won't stop here.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

mark my words, this won't stop here

Right....so what do we do about it?

Seriously. What do we do? Sitting behind our keyboard and kvetching won't solve it.

What.do.we.do?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Right....so what do we do about it?

Seriously. What do we do? Sitting behind our keyboard and kvetching won't solve it.

What.do.we.do?

Nothing. Unless you have bigger pockets than the copyright-lobbyists.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Nothing. Unless you have bigger pockets than the copyright-lobbyists.

I don't.

Individually.

But think, for a moment, about this:

10$ from each person on LTT.

10$ from each user on slashdot

reddit...ArsTech...overclocker(or ing) tom's hardware.

Pretty soon, we have enough money.

Not to fight them, they'll tie it up for years in courts.

No, to buy our own country. Then make our own laws.

(yeah, a pipe dream I know...but if we're gonna dream, dream big)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then make our own laws.

Random Internets-nerds making laws.. I shudder at the thought.

52 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Random Internets-nerds making laws.. I shudder at the thought.

Would it be any worse than clueless geriatrics making laws on things they don't understand?

Yeah I don't think this will fly really. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I don't.

Individually.

But think, for a moment, about this:

10$ from each person on LTT.

10$ from each user on slashdot

reddit...ArsTech...overclocker(or ing) tom's hardware.

Pretty soon, we have enough money.

Not to fight them, they'll tie it up for years in courts.

No, to buy our own country. Then make our own laws.

(yeah, a pipe dream I know...but if we're gonna dream, dream big)

And who will collect it? Last time someone attempted this the "banker" kept the money.

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

And who will collect it?

We'll run a KickStar...

..no....

Indego.....

ummm....gofundm.....

fuck it. nevermind :D

I havent payed too much attention to this, but what does this actually change? Is it automatic filtering, or is it filtering on command by companies? 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I havent payed too much attention to this, but what does this actually change? Is it automatic filtering, or is it filtering on command by companies? 

Basically it's filtering of content deemed to be "infringing copyright" based on the say-so of another company. IE: All the big companies need to wave their magic wand and make the bad things go away, somehow.

Edit:

There have been articles before that talk about how even the copyright holders can't tell what's infringing and what isn't in a good number of instances but they expect Google, Facebook, etc. to have magic powers that can figure it out for them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Eh, some people are making it seem worse than it is.

I will wait and see what actually happens.

And like all stuff, this isn't the final, over time many laws or regulations change to try to be better.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Eh, some people are making it seem worse than it is.

I will wait and see what actually happens.

And like all stuff, this isn't the final, over time many laws or regulations change to try to be better.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

And what is even the difference between this and DMCA?

-Stephen Hawking

26 minutes ago, Mihle said:

And what is even the difference between this and DMCA?

Close to fuck all from a laymen's perspective.  it appears many people here have not actually read the directive or how it applies. 

I don't claim to be all knowing, but it certainly doesn read the way people are talking about it.  It' not compulsory and you can only be found guilty of copyright infringement if your website falls within a distinct parameter.  I.E it has to be making money from the content, the content has to be promoted by the website and the website has to be organizing it into searchable content.  Basically the only websites that fit this definition are piracy websites.

EDIT: I have gone into greater detail with links in this thread:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Can we put an end to region lock BS instead so those outside the US don't have to download the series due stupid region locks on netflix or other services i mean come on, it is 2018 and we still are being racist towards most of the world putting in region locks for content everyone watches all over the globe, i would love to watch one piece on crunchyroll for example in the Netherlands.

Amen!

I'd say the same back here in Belgium!

5 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Happens everywhere and its stupid.

At one time in Australia it was cheaper to get on a plane and fly to LA to buy a copy of adobe photoshop than it was to buy in Australia due solely to Geo blocking.   Geo-blocking has a case in situations where local 3rd parties pay for the rights to provide content, but it there is no such thing with software.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Happens everywhere and its stupid.

Yes, but very often, we are the ones that get screwed with such region locks. More than other parts of the world.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

I.E it has to be making money from the content, the content has to be promoted by the website and the website has to be organizing it into searchable content.  Basically the only websites that fit this definition are piracy websites.

How does that not define YouTube? Or any number of other content websites that have incidental infringing content and recommendation lists?

I agree that this isn't internetpocalypse like everyone is suggesting, but it's also not totally innocuous.