Nvidia: No next gen graphics cards for a long time

Wh0_Am_1
2 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

How long is a piece of string?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

36 minutes ago, Carclis said:

2X half its length.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They're probably still unveiling cards within a few months. 

The Hot Chips story pretty much confirmed that and no CEO is gonna go out and say "stop buying graphics cards - we'll reveal something next month" nor can he legally talk about any unreleased product outside of any official press release.

This is certainly disappointing. I was looking forward to what they had to bring to the table this summer. Turns out it was nothing.

They still don't want my money I guess. I've been waiting for a few years, but when they don't release anything with the performance I want at any given time I don't want to drop that kind of money. One card is more expensive than SLI the last time I bought GPUs, so it doesn't feel right to pay that much for a card that won't stay over 60 fps in all the current games I wanna play.

Technology is like food, it's only worth buying while it's still fresh. Pascal is old and not worth spending money on today IMO, it's old tech for premium prices. Most 1080 Tis worth buying are still 150-200 dollars above normal price here in Norway, with the cheapest models just short of 100 above. That's asking way too much.

At this point I don't really mind as long as everything (Nvidia and AMD) comes back to MSRP and the memory shortage is ended.

GPU prices have been improving last few weeks. Nvidia more so than AMD.

If AMD can get their stuff back to MSRP then they at least they are performance competitive up-to gtx 1080 level. Well, they probably don't care as much as we do since they are selling out every GPU they can make and raking in the $$.

Well if we had like a full year of GPU scarcity this was to be expected: GPUs are not the only piece of the puzzle we also have game developers that likely delayed their plans to upgrade engines by a significant timeframe when they realized "Ok we have no gaming hardware sales we can't invest heavily in future software product improvements if we don't even know gamers will get to use new hardware that goes along with them for our games"

Plus this also comes at a time when developing costs are already at an all time high and quality is good enough that diminishing returns are an extremely real concern: there's no good way to quickly an cheaply create even higher quality assets even if they did have the horsepower to run them (Which we established they had a full year of uncertainty) More evidence of this can be seen in the level of support VR has gotten when it has not really gotten off the ground at all simply because a lot of people wanted it to become a thing to incentivize hardware sales and renewed interest for games that also took a noticeable beating in the visuals department but it just didn't pan out so far.

So given that because of my second point gaming was already due for a slowdown and that it was probably compounded by the first point about mining, this means that Nvidia will sit on their tech longer because they can still sell it to workstation use among other things (Maybe, maybe not in decent numbers but they're still going to try it seems). This also means that it might be particularly bad news for PC specifically since the consoles still have lots of rooms to increase power further because well, they were topping at fairly low midrange power anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

We don't need better engines, we need better gameplay and good ideas, less shitbox and "live"services that become "dead"services a year or two later.

On topic: I don't believe its just AMD's fault for not providing enough competition( even if its true), miners will also continue buying cards as long as they are making profits, just another reason they don't have to bother.

Can someone find a magic lamp and wish a few more competing companies into reality ?!

Right I also don't believe is just AMD or just one of the things I mentioned.

Like all things related to the economy it's all this things combined that cause the noticeable slowdown.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's called no competition. No company has to release new products, if there is no need then why do it. I could clean my car, I don't feel like doing it right now and no one can force me to, no one can force Nvidia to release a new architecture.

There would be no product to launch if they hadn't been working on it, but these things take time. They can't know 2 years ago what the situation would be now. They will have the "new product" regardless. Now, we don't have all the details of course. Maybe they're "done an Intel" and it isn't ready yet. Maybe it is completed and just waiting in the wings. They also can't just spring it on board makers at the last minute. If it is anywhere near usable, the board makers would already be testing samples. There may be reasons to delay, but it wont be forever.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

nor can he legally talk about any unreleased product outside of any official press release.

This is a good point. Information that may have a material impact on stock prices has to be disseminated in a careful way, and a major new product series would be significant.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Great! I'll keep having the best gaming card on the market for a bit longer so it seems :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, porina said:

There may be reasons to delay, but it wont be forever.

Which could legitimately be the new architecture design wise has been finalized and tested but they just don't want to release it yet. Was more of comment in reply to the anti-competitive comment, a company choosing not to compete or release new products is not that and no company has to, you would if you want to exist long term.

I mean I really don't like how Nvidia releases their graphic cards starting with locked down GPUs then later bringing out Ti card i.e. 1080 Ti. I don't like it but that's all I can really say about it.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I mean I really don't like how Nvidia releases their graphic cards starting with locked down GPUs then later bringing out Ti card i.e. 1080 Ti. I don't like it but that's all I can really say about it.

I never used to be like that.

First gen Kepler was the last "proper" launch. The GTX Titan along with the GTX 7xx series really kicked things off.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I can think of two possible reasons:

1, they know some people have to have the best, so they will upgrade along the way. I really can't see this being significant though.

2, it helps smooth out the releases between generations giving the impression of ongoing improvement. You need to beat your own previous top card to have a new halo product at latest generation launch, and the later Ti upgrade allows another marketing wave. And then throw in a Titan or two...

As a buyer, I think I've fallen into the Ti level myself, as last two generations are 980 Ti and 1080 Ti. I don't see myself getting a 1180 as not enough upgrade from 1080 Ti. I don't expect to get the Titan version as too expensive for the performance. I do expect to get the 1180 Ti as near enough the Titan for a more reasonable cost. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Now imagine if AMD wasnt around

They could announce no new GPUs in forever

And Ngreedia cucks would still put the blame on AMD

smh

Show me on the doll where the big bad Nvidia touched you....

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's called no competition. No company has to release new products, if there is no need then why do it. I could clean my car, I don't feel like doing it right now and no one can force me to, no one can force Nvidia to release a new architecture.

I still cant believe how many people think that companies HAVE to release new stuff. 

16 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

But it is if they have agreed not to release new products together and it is if they have agreed to restrict production while doing so to keep prices high. 

They havent. Neither AMD nor Nvidia are getting anything extra for their cards during the Crisis. 

1 hour ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

We don't need better engines, we need better gameplay and good ideas, less shitbox and "live"services that become "dead"services a year or two later

AC Origins end up being an awesome game that saved the franchised from doom... so yeah... all it takes is effort and all games could be a rich beautiful The Witcher 3 experience... it's just the too short development cycles and excessive micro-transactions with little care to story and plot that's killing gaming.

Also why do people "need" so much a better GPU? Why do they complain that Pascal is "too old"? a 1080 Ti is all you need to all the 4k gaming any one wants if you're not "I need all max out ultra every thing" kind of person, you make a balance get the same image quality for twice the fps:

Personally speaking people got used to constant "new releases" that were just refreshes of refreshes I do prefer it like it is now, more spaced time that allows Software to improve before messing with Hardware already.

All this without mentioning the most obvious point, the only competition which is AMD is still too behind, the longer Pascal remains relevant the more profit nVidia gets back from their investment... if there are "laws" that forbids a company from slowing down on their new releases of the same product or not I don't know...

I just think that the market is fine as is...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

45 minutes ago, porina said:

I can think of two possible reasons:

1, they know some people have to have the best, so they will upgrade along the way. I really can't see this being significant though.

2, it helps smooth out the releases between generations giving the impression of ongoing improvement. You need to beat your own previous top card to have a new halo product at latest generation launch, and the later Ti upgrade allows another marketing wave. And then throw in a Titan or two...

the big die GPUs are harder to fabricate and are more likely to result in defects. I.e. yields are lower. So it's more profitable to hold them back until either a new process node is more mature or to gain more experience fabricating a particular architecture.

Well, at least my fresh 1070Ti I got for MSRP will hold its value for the time being :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, Carclis said:

It sounds like not as long as people think. I mean he said that there will be a launch yet which leads me to believe that the launch has already been planned but it isn't in the near future. Maybe late this year or early next. 

@Princess Cadence i want a new Gen of GPUs that way the older gens will flow into the used market allwhile generally dropping im price. Im currently looking at R9 290x for a temporary upgrade. Would be nice if i could get a 980/ti or Fury instead. 

Im a cheapskate and i plan om keeping that way

Well, my GTX 960 will remain relevant for awhile longer it seems, not that it matters due to no internet (except for the awesomeness that is GoG).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Wow this sucks for all gamers!

Nvidia is in Intel mode anno 2012-2017 now. Without meaningful competition, why WOULD they have to release a new card? The 1080Ti is 35% faster than the Vega 64, and AMD has no immediate timeline to release something better.

Why waste money on R&D while your current products are still selling? Keep in mind that there is probably still residual demand from the mining craze, so people who could not afford to upgrade back then are still buying the 10 series now that it has become more affordable again. I am sure until they see demand for the 10 series level off, we will get no new cards. Commercially, only after the market is saturated with the 10 series does it make sense to release something new.

32 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

But it is if they have agreed not to release new products together and it is if they have agreed to restrict production while doing so to keep prices high. 

Agreed with who? With AMD? There is no evidence of that and hell would freeze over before they worked together.

33 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I do prefer it like it is now

34 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I just think that the market is fine as is...

Spoken like a true 1080ti owner :D

Joking aside, the people who have problem with that are probably sitting on a 980/980ti who were delaying their upgrade and now they are conflicted and left wondering what does "not anytime soon" mean in Jensen's vocabulary :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

Nvidia is in Intel mode anno 2012-2017 now

Not really. At least they are not releasing pseudo-upgrades. They would reach that level if they released 1180 that is 5% stronger than Titan Xp or 1080ti.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

Why waste money on R&D while your current products are still selling?

I'm pretty sure making a new GPU architecture doesn't happen over one weekend and as such the R&D department has been spending money for some time now ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones