Nvidia: No next gen graphics cards for a long time

Wh0_Am_1
1 minute ago, Motifator said:

You know that monitor costs at least $2000, right? Availability is an issue too. There are FreeSync 2 monitors that cost 1/3 of it which do HDR. Although not as well as that one, but they still sort of do it. Most people can't afford that monitor anyway. In Europe it costs upwards of €2500 with VAT, even.

Yes, but as always with tech, since the work has been done, after this monitor makes it's rounds on the market tech like this will become cheaper.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yes, but as always with tech, since the work has been done, after this monitor makes it's rounds on the market tech like this will become cheaper.

FALD is currently too expensive on computer monitors. It's been that way for some time now, Asus made a 32 inch monitor using the tech and it was just as expensive. It's not coming down in price anytime soon. Not unless you buy a TV. But then, you know...

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

FALD is currently too expensive on computer monitors. It's been that way for some time now, Asus made a 32 inch monitor using the tech and it was just as expensive. It's not coming down in price anytime soon. Not unless you buy a TV. But then, you know...

There was a time when 27" hd LCD's cost nearly 2K, you can now pick them up for less than $200. Asus just needs to get their ROI on their R&D, competition needs to catch up, and new manufacturing techniques perfected, on top of that the manufacturing equipment needs to be payed off.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Uhm, it's not Asus who does that. You don't seem to understand the procedure behind those monitors. AU Optronics makes them, aka Acer. Due to the panels being new and having too much tech on them, they cost a lot. There are some things needed to be done on AUO's end as well. 27 inch is too small for me, I want at least 30. IMHO 32 would be far better for those panels. There is no competition between those IPS G-Sync panels (or even some non-G-Sync) as they're all made by AUO. There is however competition between them and LG maybe, and LG seems to be taking the cake for those that buy AMD GPUs, since their FreeSync monitors cost much less.

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Uhm, it's not Asus who does that. You don't seem to understand the procedure behind those monitors. AU Optronics makes them, aka Acer. Due to the panels being new and having too much tech on them, they cost a lot. There are some things needed to be done on AUO's end as well. 27 inch is too small for me, I want at least 30. IMHO 32 would be far better for those panels. There is no competition between those IPS G-Sync panels (or even some non-G-Sync) as they're all made by AUO. There is however competition between them and LG maybe, and LG seems to be taking the cake for those that buy AMD GPUs, since their FreeSync monitors cost much less.

Well, I didn't know that it was Acer that made the display, but they aren't the only company that manufacturers high end monitors.

22 minutes ago, Motifator said:

There are FreeSync 2 monitors that cost 1/3 of it which do HDR

But is this HDaRe or HDaRen't?

EDIT: Nvm, you answered it. "Sort of",

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well, I didn't know that it was Acer that made the display, but they aren't the only company that manufacturers high end monitors.

In the G-Sync IPS department, it's pretty much only Acer.

Just now, Lathlaer said:

But is this HDaRe or HDaRen't?

$700 gets you a very high quality LG panel capable of HDR at 500 nits. Granted, it won't look as good as the $2000 one but it will still do it. You will still get the experience on games and movies, Hardocp did a test of it with lower end monitors and said it was worth it.

4 hours ago, Rattenmann said:

The ONE time i get myself to not buy ever new card,... the ONE time i manage to hold me back a generation.

Now i still have a 970 and want to upgrade for almost 2 years,... i only wanted to skip a single generation.

Who knew the generation would be like 4 years. Damn.

Right, and now you might end up buying a 1080 or something anyway, which is EXACTLY why Nvidia is doing this. What else are you gonna buy? AMD, HA!

They might as well make that their new slogan: "Nvidia, because what else are you gonna buy?"

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

P.S. is loses HDR capabilities when pushed beyond 120hz

96hz if you want proper Chroma 4:4:4.

22 minutes ago, maartendc said:

"Nvidia, because what else are you gonna buy?"

Simple yet effective :D:P

6 hours ago, Okjoek said:

The problem is you (maybe not YOU specifically, but I suspect this to be the greater general issue) people shouting at AMD to make competition are giving them no incentive to chase after gamers because you don't buy their cards for gaming even when they do catch up enough for nVIDIA to respond. It's the consumer's fault just as much as it is AMD's fault.

It's not the consumers fault for not wanting to buy a product that underperforms for what they want. That's like saying people should start buying Pontiacs to revive the firebird. Pontiacs cars were shit and they went out of business due to their lack of good product. If AMD wants to win over more people they first have to give them a reason to do so. That's what they did with their CPU's and that's what they need to do with their GPU's.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

44 minutes ago, maartendc said:

What else are you gonna buy? AMD

AMD has equivalents to the 1080, so yeah. That's an option that's on the table.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

AMD has equivalents to the 1080, so yeah. That's an option that's on the table.

To the 1060 too. RX 580 + VA Freesync monitor > 1060 + TN panel G-Sync. They both cost about the same.

cool. give NVidia more time to develop their 11 series to be better than ever.

and since people like to speculate, here's mine. prepare to be triggered;

NVidia are holding back on releasing their 11 series because AMD would have no answer to it and therefore push them out of the market since there will be no competition for the 11 series and therefore will be accused of having a monopoly.

People are blaming NVidia for this, but i blame AMD, they need to get their shit together on the GPU side of things.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

26 minutes ago, Motifator said:

To the 1060 too. RX 580 + VA Freesync monitor > 1060 + TN panel G-Sync. They both cost about the same.

In the same budget scenario, the TN panel is a pretty damn big compromise. It'll be a low quality monitor running a low quality panel.

It's also not happening if you go bang for the budget, a cheap G-sync panel goes for $330, a cheap 1060 (3gb) for 200 even, 6gb for 300. $530 minimum entry. 630 for the 6gb.

A cheap freesync panel goes for $125, a cheap 580, a cheap 580 (4gb) goes for 290 , a cheap 8gb goes for 300, so a $415 minimum entry for the 4gb card, $425 for the 8gb.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Why do I feel like they may have hit a snag and are using this power "position" as a ploy to mitigate any weaknesses? 

Nah, that's just my imagination again. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

The wait for an affordable 4K GPU goes on...

Affordable is relative.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Yeah, I bought my 1080 Ti right on the launch time. Hit the store at night and picked it up before pretty much anybody else did. $750 or some crap, on top of my head.

19 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Nvidia has announced at Computex tonight that there will be no new GPU for a long time.

Well how long is "a long time"

I mean for you it might be a couple months, to others half year increments or full years.

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Well how long is "a long time"

I mean for you it might be a couple months, to others half year increments or full years.

I was expecting some kind of teaser preview at Computex. But maybe good since GRRD6 prices might come down in a few months? A couple months could be " a long time" if you want more FPS at 4K.

19 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

AMD, our lord and savior, please bestow upon us the blessing of competition

Bestow upon us power efficiency. You practically need a dedicated power supply for a Vega card. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

20 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A couple months could be " a long time"

Its a blink of an eye. That will fly by like a picked booger flicked to the wind.

I know I know when your younger a couple months is a long time. You want everything a week ago.