Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

14 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

People freaked when a woman was lead role for Star Wars Rogue One.  People freaked when a black man was a main character in The Force Awakens.  Just good ol' pointless internet outrage.

And those movies did absurdly well.  So it goes to show that the people who complained were just loud, not many.

2 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

This is true, but I bet there are more people whining about the women right now than people who played 1942

I actually didn't like 1942 that much....

I'd rather shit like bad company.

Hell make a bad company with half women, don't give a shit. Give me bad company style MP. Hell make it WW2 "styled" bad company. Not even a real time or place. I'm tired of people in nice suits chirping about realism and immersion over and over before we even see any gameplay, it's like they forget it's a game. After all pretty recently I'm sure they flat out admitted they don't even know what made BC2 so popular.
I mean they had Trevor Noah as a spokesperson for the game. Really? Spewing the same dead eyed marketing bullshit about "friend though I had served and I was like no, its battlefield" , but to give him credit he look so much less awkward doing it than say people at like e3 typically are.

I want some tired looking developer hype up on adderall telling me why I'll have fun playing it. I mean imo this is why BF1 failed.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

31 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If there are alot of people who are upset about it them maybe it isn't absurd? I mean maybe there is some legitimacy in what people are upset about?

Or maybe people nowadays are just looking to complain about anything just for the sake of it. Maybe people nowadays will never be satisfied regardless of what you do. Or should I point out how many people were horrified that the guy on the cover of BF1 was black (which was less than this).

People complaining about a woman being a problem, and not complaining about let's say other things like too fast tanks, setup like ridiculous people accuracy under those circumstances, ridiculous reloading skills which are nowhere real or the fact that the woman was shot at the beginning of the trailer (regardless of gender) and is just like "Hello old friend", is imo absurd. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

TIL I am a sexist for wanting women where they actually were during WW2

No, you are being sexist if you're unaffected by every massive historical inaccuracies presented in the Battlefield games, but you are obfuscated only by the presence of female characters.

I see you are concerned with other elements of WW2, so you cannot be considered sexist.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

10 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Okay, let me quote my own thread again

I knew it was coming and it did

thanks for removing the part right after where i showed why its ruining things 

5 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

TIL I am a sexist for wanting women where they actually were during WW2.

And they didn't even have to make up bullshit to place in women- russia! They battle of Stalingrad and really everything Russia is really cool and not a setting we see enough of. I'm also a sucker for snow levels for MP, but that's not the point lol

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Did anyone say immersion ? 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Just now, Beer_Nontitju said:

No, you are being sexist if you're unaffected by every massive historical inaccuracies presented in the Battlefield games, but you are obfuscated the presence of female characters.

I see you are concerned with other elements of WW2, so you cannot be considered sexist.

I don't think that makes you a sexist if you want women in WW2 where they are more likely to be. It's part of the atmosphere. If they honest to god want to bring us untold stories with women in them then do it. French resistance fighters, Russian snipers, disguised front line soldiers, ect.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Just now, Mr.Dingle said:

Did anyone say immersion ? 

Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion 

"But- what are you doing to make mp actually fun this time-"
Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thanks for removing the part right after where i showed why its ruining things 

The problem with the rest is: it's too political and doesn't belong on this thread (see admin message above). The intent of the post is talking battlefield and the people who like/dislike it.
Even if the whole thread has gotten super political anyway

1 minute ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

The problem with the rest is: it's too political and doesn't belong on this thread (see admin message above). The intent of the post is talking battlefield and the people who like/dislike it.

*Looks at title*

Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Hm. Looks like a pretty political thread to me.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Just now, Beer_Nontitju said:

The literal subject of this thread is political, you and sanvamic are out of your mind if you think this thread shouldn't be political.
Mod team did this a while ago again with a net neutrality thread. It's politics as a topic lol

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

I don't think that makes you a sexist if you want women in WW2 where they are more likely to be. It's part of the atmosphere. If they honest to god want to bring us untold stories with women in them then do it. French resistance fighters, Russian snipers, disguised front line soldiers, ect.

Which makes me come back to my 1st point: Battlefield never pretended to be historically accurate

This is a great video that talks about realism and immersion in video games.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

24 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

This is surreal. I literally quoted out of your text. Here, let me make a depiction for you. 

srsly.jpg

It's almost surreal how you only took one line out of that, which was also the phrase I talked about in a post before quoting the site. It's almost like the whole quote from the site does say it's a new way to expierence the battles of ww2, like their presentation said.

You have a nice way of cutting down posts to only the part that supports what you want to talk about, ignoring all else. I see ITT I'm not the only one you've done this to.

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion 

"But- what are you doing to make mp actually fun this time-"
Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion | Immersion

As much as i joke about it , im really dissapointed by the reveal trailer . BF fan ever since i got my hands on 1942 , and they just keep milking the franchise with no lube at hand ...

If Battlefield was a cow its udder would be 10 meters long by now from all the milking ... 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Just now, matrix07012 said:

This is a great video that talks about realism and immersion in video games.

Immersion and Realism are all fine and good, but when I hear immersion as a marketing phrase shoved down my throat, alarm bells go of.

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Which makes me come back to my 1st point: Battlefield never pretended to be historically accurate

That's kinda how both COD and Battlefield started tho. Set in WW2. Attempting to be as historically accurate as possible. It's the reason why they have started to lose some of the old school players.

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

new way to expierence the battles of ww2

... new way with women as soldiers, case and point.

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, they both gave up on that around the 3rd-4th games.

Battlefield was still attempting it up until BF1, which I thought was an awful section of time to create a game, and COD went for the action movie set piece but still had some atmospheric realism all the way up till BO2. Both series lost me somewhat after BF3(Albeit thats mostly the god awful launch that was BF4) and BO2.

1 minute ago, Mr.Dingle said:

As much as i joke about it , im really dissapointed by the reveal trailer . BF fan ever since i got my hands on 1942 , and they just keep milking the franchise with no lube at hand ...

If Battlefield was a cow its udder would be 10 meters long by now from all the milking ... 

I'm really worried about this series at this point. "We listened to community" "community driven" both red flags to me, believe it or not. Talked about that but 0 about how or why MP will be better. The community didn't want a build system lel.

I made the mistake of buying BF1 since my friends played the beta with me and I had a bit of fun (on that 24/7 sand map beta, the only map I really like in the game). When I played it own my own, it's not fun. Everything BF3 and past was like that. BFBC2 was so much fun with friends, but still really fun solo. My friends dont really like fps games and I don't have time these days to look for gaming groups and plan stuff 90% of the time, so I keep going back to BC2.

This looks like BF1-2 to me, and IMO even if  they just did a shit job at showcasing the game (lol it was 90% showing concept art and talking about it) I still have doubts that the game would be good even if it was better than we think. Itll just be ok at best imo. Another bf1, and completely tone deaf while screaming "we listened"

I know it was bad when twitch chat this year was being all toxic fanboi "RIP COD LEL". It was mostly "meh" or "RIP BF I GUESS"

muh specs 

All parts black

56 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

The problem is the reason why they are not liking it.
They say it's because of the "historic inaccuracy", but 
1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

Which shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism hiding behind the curtain of "historical accuracy"

I think that in BF1 they said that they prided themselves on historical accuracy 

The other inaccuracies are either necessary for gameplay or bugs ( trench warfare isn't that fun to play )

Saying that, complaining in YouTube wont actually solve anything, as at this point the only thing motivating EA is preorders and sales after launch

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

They lost it when they started adding zombies into COD.  Which was a bit earlier than BO2.

Well that wasn't part of the campaign and was shown as a massive off shoot of actual historical history. It was just a silly easter egg if you beat the game at the beginning anyway.

9 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

... new way with women as soldiers, case and point.

when people say a new way to experience something, they typically don't mean re-writing the events.

I mean except activision maybe, who thinks "remastered" means putting as many new DLC lootbox guns in the game as there were original guns
I'd be all for "re-imagined" ww2 with new stuff and battles that didn't happen, but they didn't sell it that way. I really think your grasping at a single word that can mean anything without context.

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

when people say a new way to experience something, they typically don't mean re-writing the events.

I mean except activision maybe, who thinks "remastered" means putting as many new DLC lootbox guns in the game as there were original guns
I'd be all for "re-imagined" ww2 with new stuff and battles that didn't happen, but they didn't sell it that way. I really think your grasping at a single word that can mean anything without context.

The tricky thing with the direction they've been taking the series (this isn't just related to BF5 either) is that the topic of war isn't really suppose to be fun or glorious.  But there are attempts throughout history to paint it that way.

So is this another one of 'those', you think?  And that there's a deliberate attempt to mislead?