Using "Modern Times / "The Year" As Justification For Immorality

Graham Carter

chaplinmodern.thumb.jpg.8457a2c3c5ad3b5648f96caa3407a85d.jpgIs it just me, or does this (the title of this thread) annoy the hell out of anyone?
Let me offer an example, there will be a news article with user comments, or a social media post with comments, and folks come out with responses such as...

* "People Its 2018, we are not living in the dark ages"
* Its the 21st century, why are we still against Ghey Marriage" 

...IE using "The Year" Or "Modern Times" as a misguided justification for immorality!
This is not a ghey debate though, its to discuss using the era we live in, as justification for allowing previously regarded bad shit to happen!

Yeah...I don't know what you're on about.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Well, I guess you are saying that this is not an argument? Though it can be, in my opinion.

Saying: "you agree with slavery? This is 2018!" Its ok.

Saying: "eww, you eat bread? This is 2018!" Makes no sense.

About the gay marriage example, I think its pretty ok. It never made sense to be "against" gay marriage anyway, but today its just so ridiculous that its baffling.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Yeah...I don't know what you're on about.

Lowkey dude probably found some strong ass drugs and this is the first thing that came to mind.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's called Progress.

We used to make menstruating women leave the village so as not to bring the wrath of the gods upon us too.  Half the population of the earth is glad that "morality" is dead.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

It's called Progress.

We used to make menstruating women leave the village so as not to bring the wrath of the gods upon us too.  Half the population of the earth is glad that "morality" is dead.

Ummm i dont think thats what he is getting at... 

More like... i just shut down a ladys cake shop because she didnt make me a cake for my gay wedding. Even though it goes against her religion. Its 2018 cmon.

Or like, yeah i just had my daughter taken in to get surgery so she wouldnt be a whore and get pleasure from a man. Its 2018, cmon let me be.

I mean i dont really have great examples, but still.

Did you know the term "dark ages" comes from renaissance rich kids who looked down on the poor of the middle ages?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

IE using "The Year" Or "Modern Times" as a misguided justification for immorality!

If you're using religion as a source of what IS moral then you've already lost the plot. We don't eff our cousins here in Atheist land because it's 2018!

44 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Ummm i dont think thats what he is getting at... 

More like... i just shut down a ladys cake shop because she didnt make me a cake for my gay wedding. Even though it goes against her religion. Its 2018 cmon.

Or like, yeah i just had my daughter taken in to get surgery so she wouldnt be a whore and get pleasure from a man. Its 2018, cmon let me be.

I mean i dont really have great examples, but still.

You got it!  Its just as bad as when people who are trying to cement their opinion and use "fact" in their statement as if stating "fact" makes it any more accurate!

I can't believe you made this thread....it's the current year, we shouldn't even be talking about it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Graham Carter said:

-snip-

eh we live and learn, it happens, worldviews change, as long as the morality increases who cares why? If a person stops being racist because the modern world won't accept it anymore, I'm just happy they're not being racist anymore

Also what the crap is 

Ghey Marriage

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

That's OP trying to be cool since the "interwebz" isn't fun anymore.

It's 2018 OP, come on.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I think most are getting off topic... the meat n potatoes of this discussion is simply why do some use "the modern times" as a groundless excuse for something to be accepted.

By all means back up your argument with reasons of morality, religion, right and wrong etc, but not just throw phrases around like the example already provided...

"Its 2018, cmon let me be."

Humans tend to go the easy route to confirm their view point (usually a general term that refers to group thought).

Nothing new really, most just don't put in the effort.  About the most effort I ever saw was in my college History and English classes when our teachers had us talk about past culture norms in history.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Sometimes you gotta knock up a chicken to fry some eggs. 

Cmon its 2018

8 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Humans tend to go the easy route to confirm their view point (usually a general term that refers to group thought).

Nothing new really, most just don't put in the effort.  About the most effort I ever saw was in my college History and English classes when our teachers had us talk about past culture norms in history.

Never thought if it like that, but whole heartedly agree :-)

Because the current year isn't the explanation as to WHY those things are not considered immoral.  It's just an explanation that those things are no longer considered immoral at this time and that your attitudes are not in line with contemporary standards.

2 hours ago, Graham Carter said:

The Year" Or "Modern Times"

Its the ole addage of the 1999 fear.

Life moves on and times flies by

in no time today will long in history

or as I assume you are inferring, today are modern times and just living for the moment as compared to the past.

I would argue that you're looking at the statement wrong.

Saying "It's the current year" is rarely used as an argument or justification on its own.

Rather, it's a way to create a context in which to argue some kind of point.

Referencing the year helps create a historical context, and in this case, puts moral outrage into perspective of the development in moral (and overall social) norms. What was considered morally reprehensible 100 years ago isn't today, and some things that were allowable 100 years ago are frowned upon today.

We're thereby forced into considering our outrage and consider why we're outraged in light of our historical development.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

18 hours ago, Volbet said:

I would argue that you're looking at the statement wrong.

Saying "It's the current year" is rarely used as an argument or justification on its own.

Rather, it's a way to create a context in which to argue some kind of point.

Referencing the year helps create a historical context, and in this case, puts moral outrage into perspective of the development in moral (and overall social) norms. What was considered morally reprehensible 100 years ago isn't today, and some things that were allowable 100 years ago are frowned upon today.

We're thereby forced into considering our outrage and consider why we're outraged in light of our historical development.

Some very good points, I like this :-)

For me personally, it comes back to frustration, from, as has already been highlighted, sheer laziness to explain ones reasoning.....

For example, where there are discussions be they online or in person, when the phrase is used, regardless of its intentions, or as you so eloquently summarised to highlight what was morally wrong in years gone by...

...Whatever the motive for using the "modern phrase" my frustration is that when its "clearly" used as an excuse or justifications for actions without backing it up with ones reasoning (going back to the laziness once again)

Smacking children is another hot topic... and if I or someone replied to a discussion along the lines of "I don't smack my child, because OMG its the 21st century!

...would summarise the reason for this discussion!

However, if someone said " I don't smack my child, because A) bad experiences in the past B) prefer other methods of punishment etc, this would be a quality rebuttal 

If your passionate about something, then shout it from the rooftops and backup it up with passionate arguments and reasoning... don't just blurt out "because its 2018"

8 minutes ago, Graham Carter said:

sheer laziness to explain ones reasoning....

Is it any less lazy than you using the word 'immortality' as if what is moral and is immoral is fixed and absolute and that others are being 'immoral' and justifying their 'immorality'?