Finland's Government Now Classifies Esports as a Traditional Sport

ItsMitch
15 minutes ago, EG! said:

Then why isn't everyone a pro gamer? Why aren't you making millions being 'lazy' as you call it.

Not everyone is a lazy piece of shit.

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Now that just insults. Im sorry but it is.

How is competetive shooting any different? If its all basic muscle memmory why is there a large gap between the avarage and the profesionals that we also see in "real" sports. 

Competitive shooting requires endurance, critical thinking, and strength.

21 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

Man you are just full of negativity -_-. How is it worse than none? People make some good money out of this and I sure as hell couldn't push through like pro's can. Gaming is rather demanding on the body and hence why I don't play as much anymore since it takes a huge toll on me. I can only imagine what an esports player must feel like at the end of the day

It's glorifying something that doesn't benefit society: glorifying an excessively lazy piece of shit that only games.

14 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

It is rather demanding, I work out myself and I can no longer bring myself to game for more than 3 hours at a time. It takes a toll on my back and wrists and so I end up playing maybe 6 hours a week anymore 

No, bad posture and lack of physical activity is damaging to the body.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Why is everyone arguing weather or not eSport should be considered a sport per definition? When this article is about eSports being treated the same as a Sport in the eyes of the law in Finland. This is topic is about eSport players and organization in Finland being able to operate the same as a Sports team(or player) in the eyes of the law.

Example a athlete can get a athletic visa, but before a eSports pro can't.

@mynameisjuan @Silentprototipe @EG!

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Racing is consider sports also but there technically little to no physical activity and cultural background what does that mean?

Racing is actually quite hard physically. Like as boring and fucking pointless nascar is, it requires a lot of physical work just to fight the cars, heat, water loss and Gs from all that left turning. 

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

In only 2 very rare cases represented by CSA only 2 professional SC2 players have had access to an American P-1A VISA (Athlete VISA) 

https://dotesports.com/starcraft/news/choi-polt-song-hyuen-athletes-visa-united-states-starcraft-71#list-3 but they don't do them anymore as it's a lot easier to get in on Athlete. 

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Why is everyone arguing weather or not eSport should be considered a sport per definition? When this article is about eSports being treated the same as a Sport in the eyes of the law in Finland. This is topic is about eSport players and organization in Finland being able to operate the same as a Sports team(or player) in the eyes of the law.

That's a good question but I've gave up asking questions in this discussion. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Chess is a mental stress on its own. No different than my projects I do at work try to fix broken shit from people before me. 

Ive done professional gaming, made some quick bucks than called it quits. It wasnt stressful at all nor draining. I just had to stop because it was killing my relationships with my girl and my friends. 

I am more stressed and beat now with an engineering job and occasional lifting than I was bodybuilding and playing games. Games just are not that draining. More physical health issue than anything. 

I understand your point and your experience with it, here in Belgium they want Teaching to be recognised as hard labor so they can retire at a younger age and a lot of people don't understand that either. 

There will always be people that find things easier than other, what you're saying makes me believe you handle stress very well but there are very few people that handle that good.

I think legally esports is sports but different, which doesn't make it better or worse.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's glorifying something that doesn't benefit society: glorifying an excessively lazy piece of shit that only games.

Have you seen some of these pros? If anything they are far from excessively lazy. Yes there are rather "unfit" pros but there are also some that are rather fit for being a professional esports player. Just saying xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Competitive shooting requires endurance, critical thinking, and strength

No real endurance needed as you are not lifting the rifle. No critical thinking needed as all you think about is pulling the trigger. Strenght not needed as you are not actually lifting the rifle. Equipment hold the rifle. 

The argument can be made that one needs some endurance to not get stale. Even then its minimal at most.

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

@mynameisjuan @Silentprototipe @EG!

Most countries have visa's for esports already but it needs to be recogined as a sport and I find it odd that people call it lazy or easy compared to cycling or running after a ball or beating eachother K.O.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

inb4 @Ashiella get triggered 

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

yeah but the only thing basketball, football, etc is bring economic gain. like it wrecks your body and makes gives you brain damage. also you clearly have not seen people like freakzoid formerly on c9 then if he is lazy 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I don't agree with this at all. It's not a sport. A competition, sure absolutely. A sport? No. Thanks young millennials. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

No real endurance needed as you are not lifting the rifle. No critical thinking needed as all you think about is pulling the trigger. Strenght not needed as you are not actually lifting the rifle. Equipment hold the rifle. 

Get behind a rifle, and you'd be singing a different tune.

<removed>

Edited by SansVarnic

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

The anger in this thread is palpable. Who pissed in your cereal?

Possibly the most infantile rage I've seen in a while and propped up by silly comparisons and a sense of superiority and arrogance. 

No one is allowed to enjoy something when the fun police is on patrol apparently.

1 minute ago, EG! said:

I understand your point and your experience with it, here in Belgium they want Teaching to be recognised as hard labor so they can retire at a younger age and a lot of people don't understand that either. 

I argue with construction workers all the time that that my job is just as draining as theirs but most are too cocky to understand that. 

14 minutes ago, EG! said:

There will always be people that find things easier than other, what you're saying makes me believe you handle stress very well but there are very few people that handle that good

I can control it but the stress I go through can make me a mess, mostly due to managers though and not my actual work. Being in the IT field helped control my stress and just take a step back when something is wrong and understand at times things will go wrong.

15 minutes ago, EG! said:

I think legally esports is sports but different, which doesn't make it better or worse.

I never said they are not sports though. I argued that they are not as taxing. If poker is considered a sport then I lost all meaning to what is a sport.

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

A sport? 

In my eyes, eSports is much as a sport as Snooker and Pool. Snooker and Pool need you to have good coordination and skill, as much as any major eSports game these days. If you don't see Snooker and Pool as a sport, I get why you don't see eSports. If you see Snooker and Pool as a sport but not eSports then :thinking:

27 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And how do normal sports benefit society? A bunch of dudes running around and throwing balls. Yeah, this definitely benefits society. Get real. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I don't really think esports are traditional sports the same way I don't consider chess a traditional sport. I think that it is its own thing and that's fine. Although i'm all for governments seeing esports players the same as athletes if it gives them an easier time with visas and the like.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

11 minutes ago, Dukester said:

In my eyes, eSports is much as a sport as Snooker and Pool. Snooker and Pool need you to have good coordination and skill, as much as any major eSports game these days. If you don't see Snooker and Pool as a sport, I get why you don't see eSports. If you see Snooker and Pool as a sport but not eSports then :thinking:

Pool requires a high level of control of one's own stregnth andban understanding of deflection to be exceptional at.

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

And how do normal sports benefit society? A bunch of dudes running around and throwing balls. Yeah, this definitely benefits society. Get real. 

Glorifies healthy activity.

Except American Football.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

52 minutes ago, Dukester said:

I get both of these points. You've got no cultural background in e-Sports because it is only just starting to take off properly (last 5-10 years when football and rugby has 100-200 years). I also get the no physical activity bit, as much as I could argue that the average Dota players wrist moves a lot, e-Sports doesn't exert as much as running around a field for 80-90 minutes.

Depends what game it is. Echo Arena involves plenty exertion.

42 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Chess is a mental stress on its own. No different than my projects I do at work try to fix broken shit from people before me. 

Ive done professional gaming, made some quick bucks than called it quits. It wasnt stressful at all nor draining. I just had to stop because it was killing my relationships with my girl and my friends. 

I am more stressed and beat now with an engineering job and occasional lifting than I was bodybuilding and playing games. Games just are not that draining. More physical health issue than anything. 

But I dont think careers are going to last long due to a games life. I dont think kids will be quicker, teenagers today have already grown up in the tech world. 

Thats not demanding....thats just a toll on your body. 

you cant compare any sports (esports or traditional) to working. sports are generally relaxing mentally than working. you will feel the mental stress if you have to get make the clutch 3 pointer or bring the bomb to B site, but it's not like the constant workload you have to deal with for real world problems such as team/project management, getting marketing material ready etc.

now what I think esport should be consider sport has two reasons, first ofc legal, make it much easier to get visa and staff. and second, is the competitive side of it. when you are behind, you dont give up, and you keep finding ways to get back into the game. thats what sports should promote. and theres a must to add 'e' in the front becuz theres a fundamental difference: traditional sport also promote health body shape.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

e-Sports aren't traditional sports. No cultural background, no physical activity.

It'd just go over the proponents' head, so no.

well normal sports did get called "sports" at some point... even when there was no cultural background at that point in time. Cultural background is more of  a thing that's grown over time... you still have to start with nothing

that said I agree in a sense that it is hard for me to comprehend why essentially video games are becoming a sport. We're all not used to this being "a sport" so it just doesn't feel right. But I mean after seeing about how all the strategy and planning that goes into playing some games competitively as well as it being a group/team effort, they really do have some sports elements to them...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Pool requires a high level of control of one's own stregnth andban understanding of deflection to be exceptional at.

Most popular sports have shown to result in various degrees of damage to the brain so it's not unique to football - it's just a lot worse in football.

There's a lot of drug use in pretty much all physically demanding sports.

The damage done to the body being pushed beyond its limits, getting surgery to get back on the field faster and playing with injuries.

So many dark aspects of modern sports yet we should celebrate it more than other things?

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Most popular sports have shown to result in various degrees of damage to the brain so it's not unique to football - it's just a lot worse in football.

There's a lot of drug use in pretty much all physically demanding sports.

The damage done to the body being pushed beyond its limits, getting surgery to get back on the field faster and playing with injuries.

So many dark aspects of modern sports yet we should celebrate it more than other things?

when there's million dollars on the line, ofc players will do (or forced to do) wutever to get a win. its not the sports fault. its the entertainment systems' fault.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Dota/StarCraft etc requires a high level of eye to hand coordination and understanding to be exceptional at, both take an impact to you mentally if you lose/win a tournament/professional match... 

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I don't get this line.... NOBODY has said to ditch sports and only do eSports... Sports is still going to be popular, football isn't just going to die cause Finland now support competitive dota..... It shouldn't ONLY be down to professional sports to glorify healthy activity. It should be down to the government through campaigns, schools through PE and awareness and most importantly Parents to say when enough is enough..... 

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well normal sports did get called "sports" at some point... even when there was no cultural background at that point in time. Cultural background is more of  a thing that's grown over time... you still have to start with nothing

Most sports are modern adaptations of games or training.

But the "traditional" also plays a role in this.

7 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

@Dukester will be very upset after hearing this

Meh. Football is just the pussy version of Rugby.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.