Finland's Government Now Classifies Esports as a Traditional Sport

ItsMitch
11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Glorifies healthy activity.

Competitive shooting is a sport, Archery is a sport, what kind of healthy activity do these glorify? 

And a lot of professional athletes use performance enhancing drugs, which, last time I checked, aren't very healthy.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Archery is a sport

Don't you need strong upper body strength to draw bows? Or is that something that only affects non-modern bows?

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

45 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Get behind a rifle, and you'd be singing a different tune.

Don't lump me in with them. Especially cuz some of them are gen z dipshits.

As i said earlier. Ive been behind a rifle. I own a 3000$ competetive rifle and equipment. Im not talking out of my ass here. Ive talked to veterans and current championship contenders. They all say the things ive said and hold strong by.

Sorry for the late reply

tbh I think this is really cool because Esports seem to be a really inclusive environment compared to traditional sports and allow pretty much anyone and everyone to participate regardless of race, gender, place of origin, etc. because the only thing holding someone back for the most part is skills

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

No real endurance needed as you are not lifting the rifle. No critical thinking needed as all you think about is pulling the trigger. Strenght not needed as you are not actually lifting the rifle. Equipment hold the rifle. 

The argument can be made that one needs some endurance to not get stale. Even then its minimal at most.

I must say that you most likely have never carried or fired a rifle, or never participated in a match... its takes quite a bit of endurance and critical thinking to compete.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

27 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

<removed>

I also don't get why this comment is necessary, eSports is growing by the tournament, look at DotAs TI exceeding itself every year ($25mil for Ti7) it's time to either get with the time or miss the opportunity. 

As a 17 year old lad, I am starting to play dota more competitively, taking part in every Dota Battle Pass tournament at the weekend, every faceit tournament I have a go at. BUT I also understand the value of staying fit, I go to the gym 3-5 times a week to stay healthy.

Just because the times are moving and people are starting to see video games as a sport does not mean that other sports such as football are just going to die....

Picture it this way, do you still class a eSports player (let's say somebody like Miracle from Team Liquids dota team) as a professional?

Do you class Ronaldo from (insert team he plays for here) as a professional? 

Each sport is different, if eSports isn't for you, don't follow it but don't kick up a fuss because you don't. I could rant on about me thinking  football was not a sport and how everybody acts when they pretend to get hurt, but do I? No. 

Edited by SansVarnic

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Isn't chess trying to become an olympic sport in the 2020 games? isn't that the exact same? 

Also, has he ever tried sitting and using his brain for 8+ hours straight? I find focusing intently on something for hours to actually be more exhausting that physical work...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Competitive shooting is a sport, Archery is a sport, what kind of healthy activity do these glorify? 

3 gun shooting involves running, quick switching of weapons, and reloading.

Drill/runs shooting is like 3 gun, but minus a gun, more running, and diving onto ground.

Marksmanship shooting involves holding an exact position, which comes down to endurance.

Bow strings require a goood bit of strength and endurance to draw and keep drawn once yoy get competetive.

20 minutes ago, Hidden Orange said:

Don't you need strong upper body strength to draw bows?

Yes, you do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I must say that you most likely have never carried or fired a rifle, or never participated in a match... its takes quite a bit of endurance and critical thinking to compete.

Now i havent participated in any high level tournament. Though i have aquintases that have. And i do own two rifle and have fired them quite a lot. 

Either i have missunderstood the word critical thinking or am i missing something here?

You arent supposed to need endurance to be able to participate well. Technuice and straps along with purpose made clothes make it so that you are supposed to excert almost no force against the rifle. If done incorrectly yes you will need endurance to manage to keep the rifle in place. I will agree that some endurance does help though its not critical to be among the best. 

That is based on what ive learned taking courses and talked with long time shooters and from the time ive spent shooting. You may have percieved and experienced things differently from what i have. And i cant argue much against that

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Now i havent participated in any high level tournament. Though i have aquintases that have. And i do own two rifle and have fired them quite a lot. 

Either i have missunderstood the word critical thinking or am i missing something here?

You arent supposed to need endurance to be able to participate well. Technuice and straps along with purpose made clothes make it so that you are supposed to excert almost no force against the rifle. If done incorrectly yes you will need endurance to manage to keep the rifle in place. I will agree that some endurance does help though its not critical to be among the best. 

That is based on what ive learned taking courses and talked with long time shooters and from the time ive spent shooting. You may have percieved and experienced things differently from what i have. And i cant argue much against that

I am referring to 3-gun matches, there is endurance and critical thinking that goes into it. If we are talking about those that do long range shooting with those super expensive weird looking shoots-for-you guns (lol almost) then yeah there is not much involved endurance wise and i'll agree with you there. 3-gun matches test a more real world application of shooting and its more strenuous.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

20 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am referring to 3-gun matches, there is endurance and critical thinking that goes into it. If we are talking about those that do long range shooting with those super expensive weird looking shoots-for-you guns (lol almost) then yeah there is not much involved endurance wise and i'll agree with you there. 3-gun matches test a more real world application of shooting and its more strenuous.

Im reffering to competetive 30 round (or so) matches. I am not familiar with any other as this is the only one popular enough to get on national television. In 3-gun matches is more strenuous indeed

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Pool requires a high level of control of one's own stregnth andban understanding of deflection to be exceptional at.

Except American Football.

Brain damage and ignoring injuries is healthy? Huh who knew

1 minute ago, Cole5 said:

Brain damage and ignoring injuries is healthy? Huh who knew

Pretty sure I addressed that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Pretty sure I addressed that.

Hardly

Your mad that something YOU dont see as a sport, is a sport,

13 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

Hardly

Your mad that something YOU dont see as a sport, is a sport,

No, something that is not a sport is now being considered a traditional sport.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, something that is not a sport is now being considered a traditional sport.

And the difference being?

2 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

And the difference being?

Already covered that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Pool requires a high level of control of one's own stregnth andban understanding of deflection to be exceptional at.

Except American Football.

Yeah, lets talk about siege my friend. Not even starting on the hand-eye coordination required to actually aim at an enemies head and react fast enough to flick and fire...

W = forward, A = left, S = backward, D = right, Q = lean left, E = lean right, C = Crouch, Ctrl = Prone, Shift = Sprint, R = reload, V = knife, F = interact, easy stuff right? Well to be good in gunfights you gotta know how to strafe, crouch or prone (given on the situation and how disadvantaged you are, or notso) and beaulo peek (hitting qeeqqeeqqeeq repeatedly like that and you need to sprint out this doorway, look left, aim on a head, crouch and beaulo peek, make sure to use that response time and sound theres a door to your right a guy is shooting at you from now, prone and flick onto him as well, oh, you died. It requires allot of skill dude. -- I regularly work out and so do all of my teammates, so we get plenty of exercise.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

8 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

i may shout at you but sure 

esports HAS ALWAYS BEEN esports or Esports, IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN e-Sports OR THE FUCKING WORSE VARIANT OF E-Sports THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOT GOOD PEOPLE AND ARE VERY BAD PEOPLE WHO STRUGGLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER USE A DASH IN A NAME UNLESS IT'S REQUIRED, IT'S LIKE SAYING MY DAY IS GOING-WELL SIR, IT'S SUCH A MINDFUCK AND IT'S USELESS AND IT TRIGGERS ME TO THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON, OUR LORD AND BRUTAL SAVAGE REKT PAUL CHALONER ROLLS IN HIS GRAVE (EVEN THO HE'S NOT DEAD YET) ABOUT IT, IT'S A HORRIFIC TIME AND IT NEEDS TO END. THANK YOU FOR READING THIS LONG AND REALLY LOUD STATEMENT ON THE CORRECT USAGE OF esports / Esports. NEVER, EVER e-Sports or E-Sports.

Thanks!

/s

image.png.e2c4f495195145faab170790b2eeb046.png

image.png.5e770efc4aebc5d8340b43ad492cae8e.png

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Wow, why are people so wound up about the term?  You can't apply a concrete unchanging definition to a word.  Language evolves, it changes with use, just because some people have a mindset that the word sport means one specific thing doesn't mean it doesn't have other definitions.

Physical exertion is only one of 4 definitions of "SPORT".  the others include:

1. success or pleasure derived from an activity (not specifically physical).

2. something done for pleasure.

3. a source of fun.

The word comes from disport, which means something done outside of work for pleasure.  

So unless you wish to fight the immense evolution of language and dig up the original grunting of cave man days and strictly use that then;  esports, Esports, e-sports and E-sports are all the same fucking thing and relevant sports just like chess and billiards. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Esports is created for those that has no future, so they can think, they still have one. Esports, "sports" for the lazy snowflake generation. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

To label something a sport IMO implies that you've taken a game or activity and infused it with so much competition where everyone is so serious that winning, fame, money etc. has replaced having fun as the primary objective. I mean that's not to say that competition and winning should be discouraged though. The only game I currently play that has such a professional league is Rocket League and I never play it beyond a casual capacity.

I used to scoff at the idea of esports, but now I'm amazed at the high level of skill. Way more intensive than

CurlingSweep.gif