Finland's Government Now Classifies Esports as a Traditional Sport

ItsMitch

Source: https://news.unikrn.com/article/finland-governement-recognizes-esports-sports

Our friendly finks have been in the news again for Esports. (plz don't use e-Sports or i'll be very upset and write a lengthy paragraph why you're using the incorrect language) 

The Finnish office of European Affairs, Culture and Sport has announced that the Federation of Finnish Electronic Sports will be classified as a charitable organization by the government, giving it classification as a traditional sport, as well as funding youth programs for Finland's youth.

Finland's new focus on esports as traditional sports seems to stem from giving the youth of their country a new past time, in addition to traditional sports.

There has been some debate as to the importance of esports being classified as official sports by the general public, but it is important for governments to do so for a number of reasons. If classified as sports, governments have processes in place to help players traveling to their country for events obtain visas, help teams obtain government funding if they are based in that country, and tax benefits for athletes.

Finland traditionally has not been the strongest in esports. In League of Legends, the most notable teams hailing from Finland include Arctic Storm and nDurance Gaming, neither of which performed particularly well at the Nordic Championship, which was part of the qualification for EU Masters. However, with official government backing for esports, we could see further investment in esports teams in the region — the tides are changing rapidly, and a new generation of pros could rise from the country's nascent scene.

As for other notable Finnish esports stars, Team Liquid's Lasse Aukusti "Matumbaman" Urpalainen is probably the most successful. He was a member of Team Liquid's International-winning roster and remains so now.

Good news for people following esports and wanting actual international acception. A few months ago at the Olympics in South Korea, Pyeongchang a StarCraft 2 event happened so this is still a good move for esports and actual international acceptance of it but the iOC are still evaluating the options on gaming in the olympics, they don't want particularly violent games so you can kiss your BR and shooters alike not to be on the list.

Overall, GOOD NEWS, GOOD PROGRESS. 

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

eh? may I pre-empt the explanation? o_o

i may shout at you but sure 

esports HAS ALWAYS BEEN esports or Esports, IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN e-Sports OR THE FUCKING WORSE VARIANT OF E-Sports THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOT GOOD PEOPLE AND ARE VERY BAD PEOPLE WHO STRUGGLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER USE A DASH IN A NAME UNLESS IT'S REQUIRED, IT'S LIKE SAYING MY DAY IS GOING-WELL SIR, IT'S SUCH A MINDFUCK AND IT'S USELESS AND IT TRIGGERS ME TO THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON, OUR LORD AND BRUTAL SAVAGE REKT PAUL CHALONER ROLLS IN HIS GRAVE (EVEN THO HE'S NOT DEAD YET) ABOUT IT, IT'S A HORRIFIC TIME AND IT NEEDS TO END. THANK YOU FOR READING THIS LONG AND REALLY LOUD STATEMENT ON THE CORRECT USAGE OF esports / Esports. NEVER, EVER e-Sports or E-Sports.

Thanks!

/s

About time someone did.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

@SC2Mitch

So E-Sports, what is it exactly again?

:P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Wow. That's fucking stupid. The Finnish government is fucking stupid. So par for the course of the EU.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Overall, GOOD NEWS, GOOD PROGRESS

No. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Wow. That's fucking stupid. The Finnish government is fucking stupid. So par for the course of the EU.

Why do you think its stupid?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Care to elabourate instead of insulting? 

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Why do you think its stupid?

e-Sports aren't traditional sports. No cultural background, no physical activity.

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Care to elabourate instead of insulting? 

It'd just go over the proponents' head, so no.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

e-Sports aren't traditional sports. No cultural background, no physical activity.

That's why it's called esports and not sports, there is often more skill in competitively playing games than playing a traditional sport.

See it like chess, you need great skill to compete on the highest level it's not sports but has most aspects of it.

I find lol esports really entertaining whereas I find csgo and overwatch really boring.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

3 minutes ago, EG! said:

That's why it's called esports and not sports, there is often more skill in competitively playing games than playing a traditional sport.

A) Read the thread

B) e-Sports do not require more skill.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ok, but the point of the classification is to make it like sports in a legal sense. for things like athletic visa and employment laws. I see this more as a way to make it more of a legitimate business model in Finland. I don't see this as a official classification to define esports as a sport but to allow people and organisations to operate esports players and teams like a traditional sport.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I guess you missed the fact that Starcraft 2 actually was played at the Olympics in partnership with the IOC in South Korea a few months ago, I guess the all of the IOC is considered stupid for allowing this? I also guess that you missed the 2017 article by Reuters. I guess the IOC is very stupid then. Silly guys for allowing an electronic sport into the olympics where they train a lot harder than traditional athletes since games require a lot more harder mechanics than just training. SC2 is a prime example for this. 

Competitive e-sports could be part of the Olympic experience as long as it adhered to Olympic values, the International Olympic Committee said on Saturday.

The rapidly growing world of e-sports and its popularity among young people has ignited the interest of the IOC as it looks to refresh its own ageing audience and make the Games relevant to a new generation.

“The Summit agreed that 'eSports' are showing strong growth, especially within the youth demographic across different countries, and can provide a platform for engagement with the Olympic Movement,” the IOC said in a statement after the meeting with Olympic stakeholders in Lausanne.

Those stakeholders included international federations, national Olympic committees and athletes’ representatives among others.

“Competitive ”eSports“ could be considered as a sporting activity, and the players involved prepare and train with an intensity which may be comparable to athletes in traditional sports,” it said.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/e-sports-gets-closer-to-being-part-of-the-olympics-games-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I'm guessing that you're not a professional player then lol. 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

where they train a lot harder than traditional athletes

Reading through this thread I was somewhat in agreement with you but this... no.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

8 minutes ago, EG! said:

there is often more skill in competitively playing games than playing a traditional sport

Thats a bold statement you got there.

A) Read the thread

A) Yes what is your point?

B) How many football players train 8 hours+ a day and then for fun do the same, I don't believe you could say that, the reaction speed of professional players is very high, they adapt strategies faster than most common sports like football which is slow paced and has way less tactics compared to some games. Some sports might be harder, some a lot easier.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

3 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Reading through this thread I was somewhat in agreement with you but this... no.

OK that's fine to disagree, just my input on the matter, it's fine to have other opinions :) just in my eyes, it seems a lot harder to play consistently at a extremely high level and not to get burned out. 

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Sports started somewhere too, so that argument is nonsensical. As for physical activity, there are both sports with negligible physical activity, and esports with considerably physical activity, so that cannot set them apart.

2 minutes ago, EG! said:

B) How many football players train 8 hours+ a day and then for fun do the same, I don't believe you could say that, the reaction speed of professional players is very high, they adapt strategies faster than most common sports like football which is slow paced and has way less tactics compared to some games. Some sports might be harder, some a lot easier.

Hmmmm....8+ hours of physical work or 8+ hours of sitting on your ass......wonder which one is harder and energy draining. I mean come on dude....

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Hmmmm....8+ hours of physical work or 8+ hours of sitting on your ass......wonder which one is harder and energy draining. I mean come on dude....

Isn't chess trying to become an olympic sport in the 2020 games? isn't that the exact same? 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Ah you're that kind of person, you can't compare physical labor to mental labor, that happens in jobs too. I work as a programmer some amount of hours as the blue collars in the factory here yet who's job is harder, I'm mentally tired at the end of the day and they are physically tired but is one harder then the other?

Desktop

Laptops

Dell 7577

Macbook pro 2018

3 minutes ago, EG! said:

Yes what is your point?

The point is that a bunch of idiots are claiming that someyhing, that shouldn't be considered a sport in any capacity, is the same as something with cultural ties and actually requires physical activity.

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Isn't chess trying to become an olympic sport in the 2020 games? isn't that the exact same? 

No. It's a different set of idiots. Though Chess is still closer to being a sport than sitting on one's lazy ass and gaming excessively.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, EG! said:

you can't compare physical labor to mental labor

The games that qualify as e-Sports require little to no mental labor. Most games in general don't require a whole lot of thinking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

World Cup of E-Sports coming up, what a great way to promote E-Sports.... E-Sports

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s