Finland's Government Now Classifies Esports as a Traditional Sport

ItsMitch
27 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

e-Sports aren't traditional sports. No cultural background, no physical activity.

It'd just go over the proponents' head, so no.

Checkmate. Wait...... No..... God damn it.

Just now, EG! said:

Ah you're that kind of person, you can't compare physical labor to mental labor, that happens in jobs too. I work as a programmer some amount of hours as the blue collars in the factory here yet who's job is harder, I'm mentally tired at the end of the day and they are physically tired but is one harder then the other?

Cant compare? Dude im a network engineer for an ISP that sits at a fucking desk all day. Not only that I used to play WOT professionally. 

Yes I know what it feels like at the end of a day with the stress and shit I go through. But I have also gamed for 10 hours with not even remotely close to what I feel after a day at work. 

Still is more skill in physical sports. Period. There are plenty of fast paced sports that require quick thinking and strategy during the play all while moving your body. Physical attributes and training are part of the skill. 

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The games that qualify as e-Sports require little to no mental labor. Most games in general don't require a whole lot of thinking.

Explain?

Overwatch, CS:GO, LoL, Dota2, Starcraft II all require skill, experience, training and fast decision making like most sports.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

Not sure if im pleased with this or disappointed. A little of both xD. More or so pleased since some recognition is better than nothing. Hell my own school is opening up an esports class of some sort so its pleasing to see something I enjoy being adopted slowly by the mainstream. So good on ya Finland :D 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, EG! said:

Explain?

He probably doesn't play Starcraft 2 to understand the mechanics required for extremely high level play lol. 

Isnt the Egames or E-Games becoming a thing? Or am i missing out on something? Its supposed to be the electronic equivelent of the Olympics.

Just now, EG! said:

Explain?

Overwatch, CS:GO, LoL, Dota2, Starcraft II all require skill, experience, training and fast decision making like most sports.

Because its not critical thinking. Gaming (and even real sports) because natural over time, almost habit. Thinking and stress drop the more you play. So the mental draining you are talking about is now moot. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Isnt the Egames or E-Games becoming a thing? Or am i missing out on something? Its supposed to be the electronic equivelent of the Olympics.

It was apart of the winter olympics with a Intel partnership

https://www.pcgamer.com/scarlett-wins-intels-pre-winter-olympics-2018-starcraft-2-event/

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Because its not critical thinking. Gaming (and even real sports) because natural over time, almost habit. Thinking and stress drop the more you play. So the mental draining you are talking about is now moot. 

Well that's the exact same for regular sports, Messi won't stress for what he does, it's rince and repeat all day.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

Oohh, Thats pretty cool! Lots of good gaming news coming out of Europe! First Loot boxes getting fucked now sports fans getting triggered 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

It was apart of the winter olympics with a Intel partnership

https://www.pcgamer.com/scarlett-wins-intels-pre-winter-olympics-2018-starcraft-2-event/

Thats what i thought. Hopefully it catches on as esports actually become "sports" (legally that is). Another thing is that competetive shooting is quite comparable to games in my mind. (As a eks-competetive that is)

Just now, EG! said:

Well that's the exact same for regular sports, Messi won't stress for what he does, it's rince and repeat all day.

Exactly....but you still prove my point. Both games and physical sports have mental stress but sport require physical stress too. Over time both mental stress of the players plummet, leaving physical sports requiring more skill. 

1 minute ago, EG! said:

Explain?

No, they don't. They require basic (and minimal) muscle memory.

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

He probably doesn't play Starcraft 2 to understand the mechanics required for extremely high level play lol. 

I've played quite a bit of it. It takes very little thinking to be good at the game.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Again, different group of idiots promoting that laziness gets you recognition.

5 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

More or so pleased since some recognition is better than nothing

Some recognition is worse than none in this case.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Man you are just full of negativity -_-. How is it worse than none? People make some good money out of this and I sure as hell couldn't push through like pro's can. Gaming is rather demanding on the body and hence why I don't play as much anymore since it takes a huge toll on me. I can only imagine what an esports player must feel like at the end of the day

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

Just now, Silentprototipe said:

Man you are just full of negativity -_-. How is it worse than none? People make some good money out of this and I sure as hell couldn't push through like pro's can. Gaming is rather demanding on the body and hence why I don't play as much anymore since it takes a huge toll on me. I can only imagine what an esports player must feel like at the end of the day

I wasnt anywhere near pro level but i used to take part in WoT torments in college, its stressful and you find yourself aching after a match from how stressed it gets, and that was for 100 bucks worth of prizes, let along multi million prizes

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Now that just insults. Im sorry but it is.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

How is competetive shooting any different? If its all basic muscle memmory why is there a large gap between the avarage and the profesionals that we also see in "real" sports. 

actually, it's e-sports, not esports. Just like how it's written "e-mail" and not email

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Exactly....but you still prove my point. Both games and physical sports have mental stress but sport require physical stress too. Over time both mental stress of the players plummet, leaving physical sports requiring more skill. 

Physical sports require less mental stress, cycling, running then again not all sports are physically challenging and that shouldn't be a reason to be legally accepted as sports.

But I do get the point you make for some esports, which then again goes for some sports too, golf physically hard.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I've played quite a bit of it. It takes very little thinking to be good at the game.

Then why isn't everyone a pro gamer? Why aren't you making millions being 'lazy' as you call it.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You seem a troll that gives no arguments for your opinion, you scold all that disagrees with what you think

look at @mynameisjuan he gives argumentation for why he believes what he says you are just saying the same thing over and over without argumenting.

Desktop

Laptops

Dell 7577

Macbook pro 2018

2 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

Gaming is rather demanding on the body and hence why I don't play as much anymore since it takes a huge toll on me. I can only imagine what an esports player must feel like at the end of the day

Demanding how? I could game for hours on end with ease. After I would go workout and run. 

This is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. 

Just now, Cole5 said:

I wasnt anywhere near pro level but i used to take part in WoT torments in college, its stressful and you find yourself aching after a match from how stressed it gets, and that was for 100 bucks worth of prizes, let along multi million prizes

I can imagine it was, I can barely sit down for 3 hours to game before I feel like absolute shit. Funny thing is once I started exercising gaming keeps taking a bigger and bigger toll on me. But thats besides the point. Gaming is rather demanding on the body and I sure as hell wouldnt want to be a pro. I can only imagine having millions of dollars on the line and your the one the whole team depends on. God the nightmares :/

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Demanding how? I could game for hours on end with ease. After I would go workout and run. 

I get what you mean I can play for hours and all that hurt are my eyes from time to time 

But I still think that both chess and esports deserve to be recognised as sports (chess already is).

Just for legal reasons, I don't think pro players will have long careers as younger generations will be quicker.

Desktop

Laptops

Dell 7577

Macbook pro 2018

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

It is rather demanding, I work out myself and I can no longer bring myself to game for more than 3 hours at a time. It takes a toll on my back and wrists and so I end up playing maybe 6 hours a week anymore 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

e-Sports aren't traditional sports.

Of course e-Sports isn't your traditional sport, hence why it is electronic sport and has only took off very recently. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No cultural background, no physical activity.

I get both of these points. You've got no cultural background in e-Sports because it is only just starting to take off properly (last 5-10 years when football and rugby has 100-200 years). I also get the no physical activity bit, as much as I could argue that the average Dota players wrist moves a lot, e-Sports doesn't exert as much as running around a field for 80-90 minutes. 

However, see below the definition of 'Sport' :

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

This is what Pro Players of who play the games they play (from StarCraft to Dota) do on a day to day basis, from casual games of Public matches for no prize or on the main stage at internationals. 

I think you'll find that e-Sports is considered a sport. Even eSports professionals need coaching and help to ensure they don't choke under pressure and have a positive mind frame. Take the below team for example. They were crap under pressure, hell, I even remember watching one of there games and wondering if they were pulling a iBuyPower. They brought in a professional who aided them. What you know, they won the next major - 

I think its the right move from Finland to keep up with the moving times. I would like to see Finland push more exercise with this however this could be from a campaign at school to keep kids fit and healthy or just extended PE lessons. 

8 minutes ago, EG! said:

I get what you mean I can play for hours and all that hurt are my eyes from time to time 

But I still think that both chess and esports deserve to be recognised as sports (chess already is).

Just for legal reasons, I don't think pro players will have long careers as younger generations will be quicker.

Chess is a mental stress on its own. No different than my projects I do at work try to fix broken shit from people before me. 

Ive done professional gaming, made some quick bucks than called it quits. It wasnt stressful at all nor draining. I just had to stop because it was killing my relationships with my girl and my friends. 

I am more stressed and beat now with an engineering job and occasional lifting than I was bodybuilding and playing games. Games just are not that draining. More physical health issue than anything. 

But I dont think careers are going to last long due to a games life. I dont think kids will be quicker, teenagers today have already grown up in the tech world. 

8 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

It is rather demanding, I work out myself and I can no longer bring myself to game for more than 3 hours at a time. It takes a toll on my back and wrists and so I end up playing maybe 6 hours a week anymore 

Thats not demanding....thats just a toll on your body. 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

e-Sports aren't traditional sports. No cultural background, no physical activity.

Racing is considered a sport also but there technically little to no physical activity and cultural background what does that mean?

and its not like pro player don't struggle to get were they are either similar to traditional player.

also many sports like shooting for example require almost no physical activity but there still in the Olympics right ? 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing