HARD DRIVE Mining? This is getting ridiculous...

Regardless of the hate that YouTube comments tend to spew about mining and whatnot, I actually find this interesting even if I'm not going to do it :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What the balls... The last thing we need is hard drive prices to go up... Next thing you know there'll be USB Thumb Drive mining akin to the ASIC's for mining bitcoin when it came out in 2009.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

What the balls... The last thing we need is hard drive prices to go up... Next thing you know there'll be USB Thumb Drive mining akin to the ASIC's for mining bitcoin when it came out in 2009.

Well let me put your mind at ease.

At current prices, if you bought 90 * 12TB drives, you would make back 1 drive per month so your drive ROI time alone would be 7.5 years :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

At current prices, if you bought 90 * 12TB drives, you would make back 1 drive per month so your drive ROI time alone would be 7.5 years :)

In that case.... I kinda sorta want to redact my previous comment towards this topic. LOL.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I think Bethesda will be suing over this.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

But you know what the thing with prices of cryptocurrencies is, right? Bitcoin was dirt cheap at one point.

1 minute ago, Snapperx said:

But you know what the thing with prices of cryptocurrencies is, right? Bitcoin was dirt cheap at one point.

Yah, it's just if you want to take that risk but right now it doesn't make sense :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yah, it's just if you want to take that risk but right now it doesn't make sense :)

That's correct. Lets see what the future brings. As soon as it gets lucrative miners will jump on it.

I don't know how Burstcoin works but would a SSD mine faster?

Just now, Snapperx said:

That's correct. Lets see what the future brings. As soon as it gets lucrative miners will jump on it.

As far as I know, no. It's based on the space of the drive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

As far as I know, no. It's based on the space of the drive.

Well thats some soothing news for the future :)

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

well... if you worked at some kind of hdd reclying plant or something along those lines... maybe instead of destroying them you could use them to mine till they die? i mean, sure, it's a weird idea but you never know with how scummy some people are..

(i mean, i did rma a half-dead drive but it probably could have lasted a few more months/years, add up all the people doing the same I did and you can have a pretty nice amount of working drives to mine?)

Now we just have to wait for keyboard mining. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

17 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

It shouldn't. The concept of mining using storage is called Proof of Capacity - you store a bunch of pre-calculated points on a graph using your hard drive, when it comes to mining you look for something which would match the difficulty you are mining at on the drive and use this value to prove the block.

https://coincentral.com/what-is-proof-of-capacity/

22 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I think Bethesda will be suing over this.

Error 404: Reference not found

30 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Regardless of the hate that YouTube comments tend to spew about mining and whatnot, I actually find this interesting even if I'm not going to do it :)

interesting ? sure !

harddrives are not that expensive but you know how it always goes - some people can just never get enough and WILL buy up everything they can get their greedy hands on if this ever becomes profitable... 

i see warehouses full of harddrives in my head already. 

This is what happens when you have NINE THOUSAND different types of Cryptocurrency - miners are becoming as bad as eBayniacs who buy tons of limited edition stuff, just so they can sell it for 10 times the price to people who actually want them.

Hmmm... I just happen to have a spare 6TB WD Red drive lying around doing nothing and a USB dock lying around doing nothing as well.

Can I expect to make $1/day with that???

1 hour ago, Froger96 said:

Am i the only one that saw how linus didn't warn his employee on how to correctly lift and place down heavy objects when lifting them.
tut tut tut  ;)

29634455_2045174412177275_1916336386_o.png

Haha, it was fiiine. I like to refer to NickyV's lifting tips.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

55 minutes ago, Edzel Yago said:

Haha, it was fiiine. I like to refer to NickyV's lifting tips.

R.I.P Nicky V

i remember his job interview video like it was only yesterday

Im still going to do the things talking about even though its a bad idea. I got 15 10TB drives full of work and things I have. I need better storage, but gona sue half for mining to be cool lol.

this is interesting, ive got a few drives laying around that are probably almost dead anyways. i'd be willing to give this a shot.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

I read about this like several months back (saw a miner over on TPU talking about it ).  It is a interesting way to mine.

5 hours ago, Snapperx said:

What sucks for me.  I knew about Bitcoin when it was a few cents per each one.  Before alt coins appeared and before ASICs came about.

....yeah, I kick myself so hard now.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU