HARD DRIVE Mining? This is getting ridiculous...

He says higher temperatures is a problem to hard drives, its actually not:

Usage isn't a problem either.

quote:

other notable patterns showed that failure rates are indeed definitely correlated to drive manufacturer, model, and age; failure rates did not correspond to drive usage except in very young and old drives (i.e. heavy data "grinding" is not a significant factor in failure); and there is less correlation between drive temperature and failure rates than might have been expected, and drives that are cooled excessively actually fail more often than those running a little hot.

https://www.engadget.com/2007/02/18/massive-google-hard-drive-survey-turns-up-very-interesting-thing/

So keep your drives in a nice warm place :)

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

What sucks for me.  I knew about Bitcoin when it was a few cents per each one.  Before alt coins appeared and before ASICs came about.

....yeah, I kick myself so hard now.

Well I have heard about it in an early stage as well.

But two things you should never do:

1. Never be sad about profits that you didn't make

and

2. If you invest like that only do it with money that you can easily afford to loose

Tomorrow's news; GPU prices are in freefall. PC Gamers rejoice worldwide.

In other news, supply of storage drives has dwindled to perilously low levels as desperate miners snap up both HDDs and, against all common sense, SSDs, leaving naught for the PC gamer to actually store games on. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

with all that being said ... i have been mining Burst for a little while now... there is  more to mining burst on the back end..  from the looks of the video in a month he should have forged a block by now.. have him hit me up and go over his rig setup 

18 hours ago, Luscious said:

Hmmm... I just happen to have a spare 6TB WD Red drive lying around doing nothing and a USB dock lying around doing nothing as well.

Can I expect to make $1/day with that???

My estimate is you normally make a bit less than a dollar a tb a month. And unless prices go way up or the amount of miners go way down, you won't get near the 1 dollar a day with that drive.

I wonder how much more money you could get if you took that same storage and used it to run an ad funded pirate streaming site.

35 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I wonder how much more money you could get if you took that same storage and used it to run an ad funded pirate streaming site.

You mean it as in having a livestream on board of a pirateship?
If not then the question is: I wondeRRR how much moRRe you would have to pay once you get caught. ARR!

19 hours ago, Luscious said:

Hmmm... I just happen to have a spare 6TB WD Red drive lying around doing nothing and a USB dock lying around doing nothing as well.

Can I expect to make $1/day with that???

$0.12. Message me, though, I've been looking into a new mechanical drive. 

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

Also,

burstcoincalculator.com

it's time

18 hours ago, Snapperx said:

Well I have heard about it in an early stage as well.

But two things you should never do:

1. Never be sad about profits that you didn't make

and

2. If you invest like that only do it with money that you can easily afford to loose

O, I had money that I could of taken a bet with back then.

Not sad, but even if I had like one or a few bitcoins would been super nice.  O well, my other investments are still doing decent (actually one did super well last year).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

52 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

O, I had money that I could of taken a bet with back then.

Not sad, but even if I had like one or a few bitcoins would been super nice.  O well, my other investments are still doing decent (actually one did super well last year).

Almost everyone who bought bitcoin when it was cheap (<$1) sold it a long time ago, those who didn't almost certainly forgot about it until now. It seems the best tactic is to buy a number of strong coins and then forget about them for a couple of years, they you will not be tempted to sell if there is a large market correction.

5 hours ago, Wizord74 said:

with all that being said ... i have been mining Burst for a little while now... there is  more to mining burst on the back end..  from the looks of the video in a month he should have forged a block by now.. have him hit me up and go over his rig setup 

If one had a couple of old hard drives around e.g. 3+ 500GB, would it be worth it to mine using these? Not for profit of course, just as an interest such as while gaming when the power consumption due to the mining is negligible.

Edit: The network has an estimated capacity of 350PB, at $150 for an 8TB drive it would cost just over $4.3 Million to execute a 51% attack, Burstcoin really needs to grow a lot before it is secure enough for large scale transactions.

1 minute ago, ScratchCat said:

Almost everyone who bought bitcoin when it was cheap (<$1) sold it a long time ago, those who didn't almost certainly forgot about it until now. It seems the best tactic is to buy a number of strong coins and then forget about them for a couple of years, they you will not be tempted to sell if there is a large market correction.

Yep, I saw those early sellers.  Though one chap did his cards right, cashed out and invested the money smartly into other endeavors.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

9 hours ago, RollTime said:

Well at that rate I'll be a penny millionaire in... 83333 days O.oO.oO.o

8 hours ago, Luscious said:

Well at that rate I'll be a penny millionaire in... 83333 days O.oO.oO.o

Only 22 years lul. So you're not planning to sell it?

it's time

I have orderd 20 10TB hard drives BTW SO slowly gona buy them!

Dear lord... I'm still trying to walk off the pain after buying 6 new drives for my NAS...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Now you guys have a challenge; To build the cheapest, profitable, Burst mining rig. You've gone overboard in true LTT-style and made $100 or so a month, but there may be a cheaper config with lower power consumption which might still be profitable right out of the gate. I'd like to see the results!

It may be a foolish question, but with density rates per unit much higher than drives, would archival tapes work for this? I'm curious as the ROI per tape would much better, with only a higher initial investment. It got me thinking when it was put out there that the higher speed of an SSD doesn't affect results much, and with a brief google search I found no results on this question.

(Edit) so I used Bing, on Google I found a reddit post 

answer may be the same, (basically no) but It might be fun to try

Edited by L4rgo

On 01/04/2018 at 10:04 AM, L4rgo said:

It may be a foolish question, but with density rates per unit much higher than drives, would archival tapes work for this? I'm curious as the ROI per tape would much better, with only a higher initial investment. It got me thinking when it was put out there that the higher speed of an SSD doesn't affect results much, and with a brief google search I found no results on this question.

(Edit) so I used Bing, on Google I found a reddit post 

answer may be the same, (basically no) but It might be fun to try

1) Burst has a minimum response time, if a machine takes too long to respond then it loses out on potential reward.  This is why drive spin downs are discouraged.  Even just a tape drive spinning through film to find the right spot in the tape would take longer than needed.

2) Tapes are cheap.  Tape drives not so much.  You'd still need all of your data online and accessible so you couldn't have your tapes ejected.  (Also ejected tapes would even more so fail that minimum response time requirements)

Tape drive? Why not go full automated hot swap 3.5inch HDD?

You'd need to have some really fast servos and boot times to keep up with the "minimum response time", but hey... it's just an engineering challenge... right?! ;)

8 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Tape drive? Why not go full automated hot swap 3.5inch HDD?

You'd need to have some really fast servos and boot times to keep up with the "minimum response time", but hey... it's just an engineering challenge... right?! ;)

"We saved a tonne of money vs a traditional set up!"
"How much did you spend on the robot?"

"Uhh, well... Let's see... Development, materials, fabrication, labor, debugging, replacing the first Burst machine after the robot accidentally ripped it to scrap metal...  ...Uh oh."

On 3/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, Name Taken said:

There are actually Litecoin mining routers like the AntRouter R1-LTC.

They make absolutely nothing though.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

You know whats ridiculous, is the cheesy childish facial expressions for the thumbnail.