can Mac users be tech savvy

Eduard the weeb

Of course they can? What kind of statement is that? It's just preference. I'm finishing my second year in Computer Engineering (Over half way through however) but love my 2014 13" Macbook Pro, my 5820k and 980ti, and I also own an iPhone X after I fucked my 6. I'd say I'm pretty tech savvy but I really enjoy the experience of the Apple ecosystem.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I know those who use iOS are NOT technical savvy because the OS can’t do so many things. I am still trying to figure out how to properly download something on my safari. Not because I am not tech savvy, (I use Linux as my daily driver and code games as a hobby) but because it simply striped away so many functionalities to baby sit none tech savvy users.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I'd like to see a $300 acer be able to run iMessage thank you

They are so good they don't need to, you just think who you want to message and what you wan to say and they instantly know what you mean. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/21/2018 at 7:13 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

First you have to answer this question: What does being "tech savvy" even mean?

EDIT: Wow I can't write today.

For me it means knowing how to torrent which Apple users of iOS can’t do.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I actually like mac but no there not tec savy their laptop People like enough said lol

On 22-3-2018 at 1:02 AM, DildorTheDecent said:

Able to use MS Office suite? Good job kid, you're set for life.

MS Office? This is about the Apple ecosystem dude. Use Pages :P

Actually: Don't use pages. It sucks

On 3/21/2018 at 8:21 PM, KenjiUmino said:

the vast mayority of people who buy windows machines are totally not tech savvy either.

i'd say the percentage is about equal - just that generally less people buy macs

Linux users here. We laugh at both Mac and windows users constantly. So many noobs on these platforms. Hahahahahabahaha

you can literally open up command prompt, type in shutdown /s /t 0 and freak out average windows user by doing it.

for Mac users, we laugh at their shiny+expensive+Apple logo=better mentality. I heard one such Mac user tell me Mac is superior because his $1500 MacBook with core i7 and ultra fast ssd never freezes on him while his $500 pentium windows laptop with HDD did constantly.

I couldn’t help rolling my eyes...

Sudo make me a sandwich 

i feel like the only purpose for this thread's existence is for confirmation bias

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

48 minutes ago, wasab said:

Linux users here. We laugh at both Mac and windows users constantly. So many noobs on these platforms. Hahahahahabahaha

you can literally open up command prompt, type in shutdown /s /t 0 and freak out average windows user by doing it.

for Mac users, we laugh at their shiny+expensive+Apple logo=better mentality. I heard one such Mac user tell me Mac is superior because his $1500 MacBook with core i7 and ultra fast ssd never freezes on him while his $500 pentium windows laptop with HDD did constantly.

I couldn’t help rolling my eyes...

I don't care what it Really is, either one. But at the time that all really took off it was allll MacBook Killer stuff. Their right it's very Noob what happened lol....I heard that too, oh bro it's i7 and ssd and my Pentium and q6600 and Athlon sucks, and who the fucking hell here held on to a Celeron D...lol

On 3/23/2018 at 3:34 PM, TidaLWaveZ said:

For real, it's so crazy that businesses nearly exclusively use Windows given that Mac OS is objectively better.

Hahaha, the word “better” by itself is inherently a matter of opinion. Asserting something as “objectively better” is nothing short of an oxymoron.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

Hahaha, the word “better” by itself is inherently a matter of opinion. Asserting something as “objectively better” is nothing short of an oxymoron.

Because it's apparently still winning in that accessible ease of use for end user thing. I do think it's been pretty smooth..smoother going than in the past that's for sure. I see the support or something.  

They're plenty of tech savy mac users. It's just that they prefer MacOS over Windows or Linux. I have a desktop running windows for games. But I really enjoy my macbook pro for everything not gaming. To me and what I do, my macbook is superior to equivalent laptops that run windows. My opinion is that macOS is a superior operating system for a portable pc.

Your's Truly

6 minutes ago, JohnVHSTapes said:

They're plenty of tech savy mac users. It's just that they prefer MacOS over Windows or Linux. I have a desktop running windows for games. But I really enjoy my macbook pro for everything not gaming. To me and what I do, my macbook is superior to equivalent laptops that run windows. My opinion is that macOS is a superior operating system for a portable pc.

I don't think Mac is any better I just thought it was cool. The Noobs would Probably freak the hell out about Linux so that's not much an option.  So that Leaves Windows. 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

there are a lot of noobs and even more arrogant snobs using linux so please don't laugh at them windows and mac users.

try to educate the noobs - but when they don't even want to listen and are arrogant snobs in their own way (like the guys with the shiny+expensive+Apple logo=better mentality) THEN please laugh at them as hard as you can. because in that case, they deserve it. 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

even better: you can do it over the network so the user does not even know what or who hit him ;)

1 hour ago, wasab said:

I heard one such Mac user tell me Mac is superior because his $1500 MacBook with core i7 and ultra fast ssd never freezes on him while his $500 pentium windows laptop with HDD did constantly.

make him use a core 2 macbook (with stock HDD) and ask him if that thing does not freeze either. :D

Linux cause noob be thy Noob and not gonna figure out how to even boot the shit lol

50 minutes ago, JR88 said:

Iwho the fucking hell here held on to a Celeron D...lol

Goes hides in a box.

Sorry, I have a bad hardware hoarding habit.  :P

Heck, I manage to get my Uncle's computer to run an updated Linux and that computer still ran on DDR2 sticks.  That one was an old AMD chip and even help revive his old Athlon chip in another computer too.  (I even have two old IBM 1U rack servers that I trying to source DDR2 sticks and SAS drives to get those back up and running).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

This may come off strange, but I spent over half of my life as a (-n at least part-time) Mac user. I started out with Windows 2000 years before that, but Windows is still a tad foreign to me (even though I spent more time around it than Mac). As a person who prefers *nix OS's in general, Mac OS X is kinda first-nature to me. Do you consider me tech-savvy?

Edited by TopHatProductions115
forgot a word :|

Good grief, why is this even a thread?

There are many tech-savvy Mac and iOS users.  There are many tech-savvy Windows, Linux and Android users.  And there are plenty of clueless people across all those camps.

Your choice of OS doesn't indicate your technical skill -- it indicates your priorities.  A Mac user can be a pro media editor or Unix fan, or they can be an everyday user who's tired of Windows.  A Windows user can be a knowledgeable hacker or gamer... or a total neophyte who just buys whatever PC is on clearance at Best Buy.

Hell, even Linux is full of contrasts.  Linux champ Richard Stallman is arguably one of the most limited technology users on the planet, since his rabid open source ideology prevents him from using so many modern conveniences.  I suspect a Chinese iPhone user has more practical freedom than he does.

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Goes hides in a box.

Sorry, I have a bad hardware hoarding habit.  :P

Throw that away burn it or something lol

Just now, JR88 said:

Throw that away burn it or something lol

Nope, it stills runs.  :D   I even made it run L4D2.  :P The proceed to make it do BOINC units.

I am not called a nutty gal for nothing.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

11 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Nope, it stills runs.  :D   I even made it run L4D2.  :P The proceed to make it do BOINC units.

I am not called a nutty gal for nothing.

Yeah old cpus that still work surprisingly...but this is where it's even more nerdy transistor ageing and stuff.

40 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

there are a lot of noobs and even more arrogant snobs using linux so please don't laugh at them windows and mac users.

True but not as many but then again... we Linux users aren’t as many either :/ 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I use a MacBook pro in hopes of learning swift and programming on it some day, but I use an android phone and I will NEVER switch to iPhone (I was actually considering an iPhone 7 [cause the + is too big IMO] several months ago before IOS 11, but the've messed it up with so many errors and glitches and I don't like the slide up thing).  I think I am pretty tech savvy. Build a pc, fixed several regarding hardware and software wise, did some things I probably shouldn't have done at my school regarding it's adobe programs but I wasn't caught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back in my iSheep days, I was fairly tech savvy for at least other people my age.

I was very intrigued by Apple products from when I was 8 to about 13.

But I had the most access to them at that time and it was far more interesting to me than a Windows PC.

I definitely will consider buying an iPhone when the time comes for me to replace my Galaxy S8+ just because I don't think Samsung will keep the headphone jack. I was sort of surprised to see it on the S9, but I'm certainly not expecting it on the S10 or S11. But that's not to say that maybe Samsung won't keep it, I'm just not holding my breath

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

On 3/26/2018 at 10:38 AM, mr moose said:

They are so good they don't need to, you just think who you want to message and what you wan to say and they instantly know what you mean. 

I don't need to think I have Siri to do that for me