can Mac users be tech savvy

Eduard the weeb
5 hours ago, mr moose said:

No, there is absolutely no way anyone who buys a computer can be tech savvy.     Just like people who buy cars know absolutely nothing about engines or tyres.

Gotta love absolute statements.  I've had many family members who built several computers in the 90's and 2000's, but now just buy them because they're busy with family/kids/work/life and prefer the convenience.  Some people just don't have the time or the care.  Probably for the same reason they can't be bothered to build a refridgerator or dishwasher.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

37 minutes ago, minervx said:

Gotta love absolute statements.  I've had many family members who built several computers in the 90's and 2000's, but now just buy them because they're busy with family/kids/work/life and prefer the convenience.  Some people just don't have the time or the care.  Probably for the same reason they can't be bothered to build a refridgerator or dishwasher.

I think your sarcasm detection system is broken :P

A lot of seriously tech savvy people use MacBooks just because of the amazing battery life. Mostly developers 

That's an F in the profile pic

3 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

he use Final Cut to edit tho, I was gonna be like yeah there alot like Marquess then he said that don't use Final cut and I couldn't think of any

Sigh... It's an idiotic thing to argue about in the first place.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

4 hours ago, minervx said:

I am absolutely certain I was taking the piss out of such a silly idea.  But alas, I apologise for not putting up the /s

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have a Mac as my daily driver, I have desktop PC now mainly for gaming. Also I am an IT engineer doing sys ops and dev. Still prefer Mac books (but not those new ones with OLEDs) for development/administration

I've done 200 level computer science papers at a high level and can code in Java, Python and C#, currently use a MacBook Pro 2016 as my daily and have an Apple Watch and iPhone 7. 

I can use Windows just fine, and I know the inner workings better than most, same for Linux, but I choose MacOS because of the superior cloud integration as it backs up everything I have to iCloud in real time. The portability of the MacBook is second to none as well - no one can dispute its a great laptop. MacOS runs a lot better on it as well. 

Just no need for a Windows or Linux machine. 

So yes. 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

- no one can dispute its a great laptop.

I can, It's a shit laptop, I've found secondhand $300 acers  are better :P

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 22/03/2018 at 7:10 AM, Eduard the weeb said:

So recently a friend and me were talking and they said, anyone who uses a mac other then for Final cut cannot be tech savvy, wall I personally don't agree I kinda want to see what a forum of ( mostly ) Tech savvy people think.

That to me is asking the wrong question. 

I don’t really see being tech savvy as being some sort of compliment. Especially if the implication here is that you need to be tech savvy to use windows. 

Likewise, if he is insinuating that macOS is so easy to use that even people who aren’t tech savvy can handle it with no issues, I actually view that as a compliment. 

If using a Mac means I am some sort of tech idiot, then let this be a badge of honour I wear with pride. 

Just take a look at MKBHD's youtube channel

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

On 3/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, minervx said:

I'm a Mac user and I'm tech savvy.

Quit relying on lazy stereotypes.

Mac because it is a better operating system than Windows. 

For real, it's so crazy that businesses nearly exclusively use Windows given that Mac OS is objectively better.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

On 3/21/2018 at 7:10 PM, Eduard the weeb said:

So recently a friend and me were talking and they said, anyone who uses a mac other then for Final cut cannot be tech savvy, wall I personally don't agree I kinda want to see what a forum of ( mostly ) Tech savvy people think.

No, that's a generalization and generalizations cause issues I'm assuming the question is a slight exaggeration.

There are certainly tech savvy individuals that prefer Mac OS that's a given

BUT

I'd be willing to bet that a much larger percentage of tech savvy individuals use Windows or Linux because

-Businesses overwhelmingly use Windows, so many more tech professionals will use Windows for income

-Apple targets non tech savvy individuals, it's quite literally a main selling point

-A good percentage of tech savvy individuals enjoy putting together/maintaining their own systems, which pretty much eliminates Mac OS as an option

I will note that my idea of tech savvy is extremely discriminatory, limited to those who have an above average grasp of technology. You must have advanced knowledge of each integral part of the computer/computerized electronics hardware, software and how they work.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

What does your friend think of those that use both?
Personally I use both. I have a MacBook Pro because it's powerful and portable AND the program I use for audio editing just plain runs better on Mac OS, and can be run on the mbp. However, I have a desktop I built for gaming and gpu intensive tasks.

Technically I'm a "Mac user" because... well... I use a Mac. So I guess even though I've done IT work for 5 years, built mine and my friends computers, I'm not "tech savvy".

Maybe your friend should stop being all uppity about what OS or hardware people use and stop dealing in absolutes.

It's not the computer that matters, it's how you use it.

10 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No, that's a generalization and generalizations cause issues I'm assuming the question is a slight exaggeration.

There are certainly tech savvy individuals that prefer Mac OS that's a given

BUT

I'd be willing to bet that a much larger percentage of tech savvy individuals use Windows or Linux because

-Businesses overwhelmingly use Windows, so many more tech professionals will use Windows for income

-Apple targets non tech savvy individuals, it's quite literally a main selling point

-A good percentage of tech savvy individuals enjoy putting together/maintaining their own systems, which pretty much eliminates Mac OS as an option

that's is very far behind what happens in reality. and the answer to the question greatly depends on the industry each individual works in.

if the choice for developers or DevOps/SRE" engineers now is a "windows" laptop where you can install Linux or an MBP most probably they are going with MBP why? linux still is a pain in the ass for some things, installing from source to have latest is a pain, so most people just go for mac because its user friendly you get a *nix like terminal with bash,zsh or whatever floats your boat and you get awesome tools like brew and painless docker experience that will make your life easier.

now if you're a developer or DevOps/SRE that live in the windows world, .net apps deployed to a windows server to managing windows servers services and tools, you will probably have a laptop/pc running windows.

i use both, i have an MBP for work, an imac5k i use to edit stuff for fun that i capture with my drones, and i have a windows pc for gaming and playing around with unity. (though in windows i have WSL and a bunch of unix like tools and VM's in case i cant use the OSX machines.)

Just now, lacion said:

that's is very far behind what happens in reality. and the answer to the question greatly depends on the industry each individual works in.

if the choice for developers or DevOps/SRE" engineers now is a "windows" laptop where you can install Linux or an MBP most probably they are going with MBP why? linux still is a pain in the ass for some things, installing from source to have latest is a pain, so most people just go for mac because its user friendly you get a *nix like terminal with bash,zsh or whatever floats your boat and you get awesome tools like brew and painless docker experience that will make your life easier.

now if you're a developer or DevOps/SRE that live in the windows world, .net apps deployed to a windows server to managing windows servers services and tools, you will probably have a laptop/pc running windows.

It's not my opinion I'm going by statistics. 

Nearly 90% of the total market share uses Windows, limit this to business/enterprise and the percentage only gets higher.

I get your point in regards to devs/engineers but what percentage of tech professionals do they represent(I honestly don't know) but I do know that the majority of tech professionals in general will be using Windows as the companies that employ them are overwhelmingly using Windows software.

10 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It's not my opinion I'm going by statistics. 

Nearly 90% of the total market share uses Windows, limit this to business/enterprise and the percentage only gets higher.

I get your point in regards to devs/engineers but what percentage of tech professionals do they represent(I honestly don't know) but I do know that the majority of tech professionals in general will be using Windows as the companies that employ them are overwhelmingly using Windows software.

i would love to see the statistic you mention saying the majority of tech professionals are using windows. so far the only ones i encounter are the ones using windows only technologies. 

17 minutes ago, lacion said:

i would love to see the statistic you mention saying the majority of tech professionals are using windows. so far the only ones i encounter are the ones using windows only technologies. 

I didn't mention a statistic that says the majority of tech professionals use Windows, it's an easy deduction that you can make by looking at what businesses use and the tech professionals they employ. Do you think the majority of tech professionals in the job force are high level devs/engineers/architects? I've worked for 4 different companies including 2 Fortune 500 and currently a Fortune 15 and throughout the complex(s) there's not a Mac in sight.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I didn't mention a statistic that says the majority of tech professionals use Windows, it's an easy deduction that you can make by looking at what businesses use and the tech professionals they employ. Do you think the majority of tech professionals in the job force are high level devs/engineers/architects? I've worked for 4 different companies including 2 Fortune 500 and currently a Fortune 15 and throughout the complex there's not a Mac in sight.

before my current stable job at a startup i been a contractor for lots of companies, including amazon web services, facebook, AVG/Avast, and a few others i would say people using windows were the exception not the rule. hence why i mention that windows or not will highly depend on the type of industry you work in.

at my current startup everyone uses mac tech or not. there is not a single soul using windows.

1 minute ago, lacion said:

before my current stable job at a startup i been a contractor for lots of companies, including amazon web services, facebook, AVG/Avast, and a few others i would say people using windows were the exception not the rule. hence why i mention that windows or not will highly depend on the type of industry you work in.

at my current startup everyone uses mac tech or not. there is not a single soul using windows.

You're totally correct, but you can still deduce that the majority of tech professionals are going to be working for the companies who employ the most people.

17 minutes ago, lacion said:

What are you trying to say exactly?  It sounds like you don't like the fact that windows has 90 odd% market share.  Because addressing over representation in specific fields doesn't change that statistic.  Nor does it change the fact that majority of businesses run both a work station and back end windows environment.  

If we are talking purely statistics here then you can argue that software engineering and social sciences have a over representation of mac use (google use Linux/mac as much if not slightly more than windows).  But as for the rest of the world, I.E  movie production, DAW, office, engineering and sciences are all predominately windows.  These statistics are reported in nearly every field and survey regardless of who or why they are carried out.

Literally anyone can be tech savvy, what matters is the definition...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

What are you trying to say exactly?  It sounds like you don't like the fact that windows has 90 odd% market share.  Because addressing over representation in specific fields doesn't change that statistic.  Nor does it change the fact that majority of businesses run both a work station and back end windows environment.  

If we are talking purely statistics here then you can argue that software engineering and social sciences have a over representation of mac use (google use Linux/mac as much if not slightly more than windows).  But as for the rest of the world, I.E  movie production, DAW, office, engineering and sciences are all predominately windows.  These statistics are reported in nearly every field and survey regardless of who or why they are carried out.

again, I'm not talking pure statistics, also me liking something or other does not really matter, the question specifically talked about tech-savvy, not general usage. 

not everyone using a mac is tech-savvy, that will also apply to windows, i was just probably wrongly assuming that most tech-savvy people work on tech-related scene.

A lot of mobile developers use MacBooks or Mac Mini's because it allows them to develop for both Android and iOS. Apple forcing iOS developers to own a Mac suggests there's probably a higher percentage of tech savvy people using Macs than there was a decade ago. 

On 3/23/2018 at 11:05 PM, mr moose said:

I can, It's a shit laptop, I've found secondhand $300 acers  are better :P

I'd like to see a $300 acer be able to run iMessage thank you