Microsoft confims Windows 10 S mode in 2019

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/7/17089850/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-changes-2019

No quotes here typically because I'm going to do a quick run down of the news topic and then get into opinions! 

So basically, Microsoft is confirming that the Windows 10 S mode is going to be shipped with most windows 10 PCs regardless of their OS versions (more on this later). Microsoft says that its a "mode" now, not a dedicated version of windows 10. We don't know what new features this S mode brings, but, if your already a windows 10 user, this mode will be already in your OS (of course, when its actually released), typically for windows 10 home users, this feature can be temporarily disabled from the click of a button, for free, now as I mentioned before about specific W10 versions, windows 10 Pro users will have to pay a fee of $49 to get full access to the full version of windows 10 pro.

I do have a question though: 

but Windows 10 Pro customers with S Mode enabled on their device will be forced to pay $49 to get access to a full version of Windows 10 Pro.

Does this suggest that people with windows 10 pro don't actually have the full version of windows 10 pro?

This does concern me as the price to get windows 10 from microsoft (not any key sites) is very steep. What I see is microsoft wringing money out of the customer.

From Microsoft's website:Capture.thumb.PNG.a9a45b1e85345ddd424342493e72173d.PNGThis is stupid there should only be two versions. Windows 10s with only support for windows store apps and windows 10 pro with support for everything including the store. Its annoying for the customer to have to learn about these differences and try and make an informed decision on which they need. Its not like anyone in best buy is going to be able to tell them which one they need. Not to mention that Microsoft is still having trouble releasing stable updates which gives me very little confidence even though it should be easier to maintain windows 10s due to the inability to modify it heavily.

Basically, I don't think this is horrible but I have lost a lot of faith in Microsoft's ability to release products that don't have bugs or problems anymore. If they make this work without causing people BSOD's all day I'll be happy and surprised.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No, Microsoft is adding features to Win10 Pro that the current Win10 Pro does not have.

And then to unlock them, existing Win10 Pro users have to pay for DLC

Actually no, who has Windows 10 Pro today will have the full version regardless, what the article says is that there will be a Windows 10 S Pro shipped with pre-builds and laptops when it releases and this version will require the 49$ to drop the S.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

No, Microsoft is adding features to Win10 Pro that the current Win10 Pro does not have.

And then to unlock them, existing Win10 Pro users have to pay for DLC

I see no benefit of adding Stupid mode to existing Windows versions. They are probably setting this mode as a precedent so that in future they will announce 10S as the base version of Windows. The existing non-stupid versions of Windows will then be one tier higher and they will charge us more to not have a stupid operating system.

See here is the problem, we're literally some of the tech people and we don't even know whats going on. That being said. I think Microsoft's plan is to create windows 10s as a way to manage the stupid people like apple does in their ecosystem. Can't fuck it up if you can't install it right!

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Oh boy, Microsoft once again trying to push their UWP garbage.

Maybe they should stop trying to force shitty products onto consumers and instead try and make good products appeal, so people willingly use them?

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Actually no, who has Windows 10 Pro today will have the full version regardless, what the article says is that there will be a Windows 10 S Pro shipped with pre-builds and laptops when it releases and this version will require the 49$ to drop the S.

What is windows 10 S Pro. Does this one have enterprise features plus no non windows store app support.

So....they're basically increasing Windows 10 Pro 50 bucks? What kind of company would function with the incredible crutch of requiring third party companies to develop for the Windows Stores otherwise pay us 50 extra bucks?

W...T...F...

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Thermite said:

What is windows 10 S Pro. Does this one have enterprise features plus no non windows store app support.

It is a waste of time that's what it is if you ask me :P

Seriously though this changes nothing to all of us more advance users because we don't buy prebuilds or cheap notebooks/netbooks/laptops that will come with these useless S variation Win 10 OS.

Since this does not really directly affect us I don't see why make such a fuzzle and qq about microsoft being evil and all... as we always knew this is aimed at schools and business where it is interesting to limit how much you can do on the PC to begin with.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

It is a waste of time that's what it is if you ask me :P

Seriously though this changes nothing to all of us more advance users because we don't buy prebuilds or cheap notebooks/netbooks/laptops that will come with these useless S variation Win 10 OS.

Since this does not really directly affect us I don't see why make such a fuzzle and qq about microsoft being evil and all... as we always knew this is aimed at schools and business where it is interesting to limit how much you can do on the PC to begin with.

Yes, but for those grandma's that go to buy a laptop and end up with windows 10 S and can't install their favorite picture sorting application its going to be an issue. And since its their issue its yours because your the resident tech guy who gets called out for all the stupid shit. Now you have to tell your grandma that she bought the wrong version of windows when she didn't even know there was more than one version and she has to pay $50 dollars on top of the $400 she already spent on the laptop. Its not a problem for us its a problem for everyone else who isn't aware.

This wouldn't be a problem if the Microsoft store actually had useful apps, but it doesn't. They need to partner first with developers and make good apps then ask people to buy their windows 10 S.

6 minutes ago, Thermite said:

Yes, but for those grandma's that go to buy a laptop and end up with windows 10 S and can't install their favorite picture sorting application its going to be an issue. And since its their issue its yours because your the resident tech guy who gets called out for all the stupid shit. Now you have to tell your grandma that she bought the wrong version of windows when she didn't even know there was more than one version and she has to pay $50 dollars on top of the $400 she already spent on the laptop. Its not a problem for us its a problem for everyone else who isn't aware.

This wouldn't be a problem if the Microsoft store actually had useful apps, but it doesn't. They need to partner first with developers and make good apps then ask people to buy their windows 10 S.

I had this. Someone upgraded to Windows 10, no returns as after 30 days. Now cannot find their photos, as they only know how to use Windows 7. :/

Ugh, this version.. Can they fragment and confuse less. 

Or make Home free or really cheap and merge Pro and Enterprise for that that market space. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

48 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So....they're basically increasing Windows 10 Pro 50 bucks? What kind of company would function with the incredible crutch of requiring third party companies to develop for the Windows Stores otherwise pay us 50 extra bucks?

W...T...F...

It's worse than increasing the price by 50 dollars.

They are making S-mode the default. I would think these were bad news even if the unlock was free.

They are making a restricted and limited mode the default, this taking control away from users.

44 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

as we always knew this is aimed at schools and business where it is interesting to limit how much you can do on the PC to begin with.

The way I read these news, S-mode will be the new default for everyone, not just schools and business computers.

37 minutes ago, Thermite said:

It's a chicken and egg problem.

Nobody wants to develop for it because the audience isn't there, and the audience isn't there because the programs they want doesn't exist as UWP.

Microsoft is trying to "solve" the problem by forcing an audience to adopt the platform, thus making it more appealing to developers.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's worse than increasing the price by 50 dollars.

They are making S-mode the default. I would think these were bad news even if the unlock was free.

They are making a restricted and limited mode the default, this taking control away from users.

The way I read these news, S-mode will be the new default for everyone, not just schools and business computers.

Well I do expect them to eventually move to "Home users need to pay for the good mode too" later to "Just forget about non UWP apps you pleb"

-------

Current Rig

-------

The S stands for Shit. Windows 10 Pro Shit mode

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I'm sure we'll quickly see some registry edits that will "unlock" Windows 10 S so I'm sure it won't be THAT bad.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

9 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

The S stands for Shit. Windows 10 Pro Shit mode

S = Stripped

1 hour ago, Thermite said:

From Microsoft's website:Capture.thumb.PNG.a9a45b1e85345ddd424342493e72173d.PNGThis is stupid there should only be two versions. Windows 10s with only support for windows store apps and windows 10 pro with support for everything including the store. Its annoying for the customer to have to learn about these differences and try and make an informed decision on which they need. Its not like anyone in best buy is going to be able to tell them which one they need. Not to mention that Microsoft is still having trouble releasing stable updates which gives me very little confidence even though it should be easier to maintain windows 10s due to the inability to modify it heavily.

Basically, I don't think this is horrible but I have lost a lot of faith in Microsoft's ability to release products that don't have bugs or problems anymore. If they make this work without causing people BSOD's all day I'll be happy and surprised.

Dont forget that they took RTFS support away from the Windows 10 Pro with an "update" (more like downgrade) and then they made Windows 10 Pro for Workstations with RTFS support.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

S = Stripped

Dont forget that they took RTFS support away from the Windows 10 Pro with an "update" (more like downgrade) and then they made Windows 10 Pro for Workstations with RTFS support.

Nah, be honest, it actually stands for Shit.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Welcome to the world of forced upgrades, where companies can take features away from your computer and sell them to you again.

That Microsoft's behavior is acceptable is mind blowing to me. They should be sued the living crap out of.

Just more confirmation of MS actively taking small steps to claim ownership of the hardware you paid with your own money. But, obviously, the MS defence force will come here and enlight us on how good this actually is and why you shouldn't be left alone to decide what to do with your devices (also something something Google does it too something )

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

27 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Just more confirmation of MS actively taking small steps to claim ownership of the hardware you paid with your own money. But, obviously, the MS defence force will come here and enlight us on how good this actually is and why you shouldn't be left alone to decide what to do with your devices (also something something Google does it too something )

While that might be true for schools and old people, this is Microsoft’s way of pushing UWP for security reasons. But just like any fortified ajd locked don fortress, it can be conquered with the right planning and weapons. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

wait what do you mean you can temporarely disable "S" mode? that gives S mode no point and its literally just in your way most of the time -_- 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

for security reasons

They just want to stop vulkan in its tracks so they can keep their monopoly in gaming.... (not to mention how they try to keep the r=1 user from using free alternatives)

Moved to Tech News section as entry does not meet the posting guidelines.

S Mode will be a mode for all editions of Windows 10. And it will be free to turn on and off for ALL Windows 10 users.

Microsoft says:

We expect the majority of customers to enjoy the benefits of Windows 10 in S mode. If a customer does want to switch out of S mode, they will be able to do so at no charge, regardless of edition. We expect to see new Windows 10 devices ship with S mode, available from our partners in the coming months, so check back here for updates.

So if you buy a system with Windows 10 Pro in S Mode, it will be a toggle away to get Windows 10 Pro. No extra charge. Basically the OEM gets to pick if they want S Mode enabled or not by default.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-announces-upcoming-changes-windows-10-s-and-its-good-news