Microsoft confims Windows 10 S mode in 2019

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

S Mode will be a mode for all editions of Windows 10. And it will be free to turn on and off for ALL Windows 10 users.

Microsoft says:

So if you buy a system with Windows 10 Pro in S Mode, it will be a toggle away to get Windows 10 Pro. No extra charge. Basically the OEM gets to pick if they want S Mode enabled or not by default.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-announces-upcoming-changes-windows-10-s-and-its-good-news

I'm pretty sure most OEMs would ship their systems with it disabled by default or else they're going to get several thousand calls from people wondering why they can't install Chrome properly. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

17 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm pretty sure most OEMs would ship their systems with it disabled by default or else they're going to get several thousand calls from people wondering why they can't install Chrome properly. 

A previous rumor suggested that OEMs would get Windows for cheaper if they shipped the computers with S-mode on.

Not sure how legitimate that was though, but I have no problem imagining Microsoft doing that. They are already going to force it on people buying Windows stand-alone.

Sigh... More shit that I need to change before Windows 10 becomes usable.

• 2 years later...

First of all, S mode in my opinion is nonsense as I don't have any use for it. Can't even get a clean install of Windows in "non" S mode until you go through the Windows Store and deactivate S mode. I even tried using the ei.cfg trick on a clean install and still ended up with S mode. PC magazine is also stating that some people are stuck in S mode with no option of getting it out of S mode because the Windows store fails to deactivate it with no ETA from MS for a fix. When machine comes with a legitimate key for the full version of Windows, we shouldn't be forced to install this S mode crap then take it out of S mode through the Window store which I remind you requires a Microsoft account (This increasing nonsense of requiring a Microsoft account needs to stop too). It should be an option right out of the box, if OS is pre-installed, or an option during a clean install of Windows if you wish to have S mode on or off (still looking for a way to this via install media, help is welcome). I still believe that Windows S mode is just another step of Microsoft going to a tier based OS subscription where they can charge us out the yin yang a month just to use a somewhat decent (yes sometimes crappy) operating system. If someone is a lawyer reading over this and thinks it's a class action worthy lawsuit, please do and sign me up. I hate having to do extra work for something that never should have been an issue to begin with. It's a waste of time and money if you do this kind of work (IT) for a living. If it wasn't from games and some apps that are Windows based only, I would drop the MS BS and move to a Linux distro. That also goes for the corporate field as well as we are forced to use Windows. But again, this is just my opinion....

5 hours ago, psyfer9983 said:

First of all, S mode in my opinion is nonsense as I don't have any use for it. Can't even get a clean install of Windows in "non" S mode until you go through the Windows Store and deactivate S mode. I even tried using the ei.cfg trick on a clean install and still ended up with S mode. PC magazine is also stating that some people are stuck in S mode with no option of getting it out of S mode because the Windows store fails to deactivate it with no ETA from MS for a fix. When machine comes with a legitimate key for the full version of Windows, we shouldn't be forced to install this S mode crap then take it out of S mode through the Window store which I remind you requires a Microsoft account (This increasing nonsense of requiring a Microsoft account needs to stop too). It should be an option right out of the box, if OS is pre-installed, or an option during a clean install of Windows if you wish to have S mode on or off (still looking for a way to this via install media, help is welcome). I still believe that Windows S mode is just another step of Microsoft going to a tier based OS subscription where they can charge us out the yin yang a month just to use a somewhat decent (yes sometimes crappy) operating system. If someone is a lawyer reading over this and thinks it's a class action worthy lawsuit, please do and sign me up. I hate having to do extra work for something that never should have been an issue to begin with. It's a waste of time and money if you do this kind of work (IT) for a living. If it wasn't from games and some apps that are Windows based only, I would drop the MS BS and move to a Linux distro. That also goes for the corporate field as well as we are forced to use Windows. But again, this is just my opinion....

Please don't revive old threads in future. Locked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv