Washington Pass Its Own Net Neutrality Law

VitorG

A new development on the net neutrality on US. I'm European and it stiil worried about the new FCC rules.

Usualy other countries tend to follow US practices. The effects here are starting to show on small things, like differentiated fraffic rules.

Providers are also slowly, but steadly changing their business tactics. The world needs this actions against FCC.

Washington this week became the first state to pass a new law -- House Bill 2282 -- that restores and protects certain net neutrality rules, after the Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 in favor of repealing net neutrality nationwide late last year. Washington state's new rules were signed into law by Governor Jay Inslee yesterday, and prevent internet service providers from blocking and slowing down content online 

Sources:
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/06/washington-first-state-net-neutrality/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/business/net-neutrality-washington-state.html

OP your post does not meet the required content for a news post. Please review the below link and update accordingly.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@VitorG Your thread doesn't match the TN&R guidelines; you need to add personal, insightful thoughts. 

HUZZAH! TAKE THAT, A$$-HATS AT THE FCC! 

Spoiler

Florida is joining this movement at the usual pace of six years later... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Yup just make some passing remarks or any random thoughts you have.

ISP's will def find a way around slowing down connection. They really shouldnt be blocking content, and if that be the case then they should look at Facebook.

Wasn't there a stipulation in the original act that states couldn't make their own net neutrality laws?
How are they getting around that?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wasn't there a stipulation in the original act that states couldn't make their own net neutrality laws?

didn't they only repeal the act which would void that though?

Nothing to see here, move along

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

By pretty much walking past the FCC/Ajit Pai and going "up yours too buddy".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

didn't they only repeal the act which would void that though?

I haven't really been following it that closely to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

By pretty much walking past the FCC/Ajit Pai and going "up yours too buddy".

Haha, if they're doing that they deserve much kudos.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

I haven't really been following it that closely to be honest.

yeah I don't really either, even though i live in the US, Im just really busy.

My train of thought as basically, They pass net neutrality but said passing prevents state regulation, but then they repeal said law or whatever in whole, said restriction logically would be repealed as well.

Nothing to see here, move along

On 3/6/2018 at 7:56 PM, Canada EH said:

Yup just make some passing remarks or any random thoughts you have.

ISP's will def find a way around slowing down connection. They really shouldnt be blocking content, and if that be the case then they should look at Facebook.

They'll just add a stupidly low data cap

On 7.3.2018 at 4:07 AM, dizmo said:

As far as i know they block any service provider from getting contracts from the state (or others, not shure) if they break netneutrality principles. Effectivly its not breaking the rules the FCC put down.

6 hours ago, Daring said:

"Washington this week became the first state to pass a new law"

False. Montana passed its own NN law back at the end of January, followed by New York two days later.

Executive order vs law. Both of those articles say the governors signed an executive order, while Washington is the first to put it into law.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

13 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

As far as i know they block any service provider from getting contracts from the state (or others, not shure) if they break netneutrality principles. Effectivly its not breaking the rules the FCC put down.

So it's just state contracts? Like on a state government level? Or they can't get contracts from the population of said state?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So it's just state contracts? Like on a state government level? Or they can't get contracts from the population of said state?

I believe its only from the state, but that blocks quite a bit of revenue for the companies. I dont know all the details, but it is quite certain this will make companies refrain from breaking net neutrality rules. 

Also i dont think they get money from the goverment alocated to "improve" the infrastructure

To be honest, I'm divided on this debate.

I hate federal regulation. I think we need to go back to states governing themselves more than being governed by the federal government.

My reasoning is that it's FAR easier for a motivated population to hold local government responsible, than it is for a much MUCH larger and FAR more divided population to hold federal government responsible.

That being said, it's also FAR easier for a corporation to bribe local officials.

Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

To be honest, I'm divided on this debate.

I hate federal regulation. I think we need to go back to states governing themselves more than being governed by the federal government.

My reasoning is that it's FAR easier for a motivated population to hold local government responsible, than it is for a much MUCH larger and FAR more divided population to hold federal government responsible.

That being said, it's also FAR easier for a corporation to bribe local officials.

I don’t think that the division is much different federally vs state level, except in very small states. All you need to do I look at some of the state elections. I am not saying that federal government should run and control everything, but there is an inherent risk and difficulty in having wildly different laws and regulations in territories within the same country when it comes to business and the populous.