Ubisoft confirms microtransaction for Far Cry 5 , why not.

ItsMitch
1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Except BC2 also had multi-player, where cosmetic MT's can be understandable (even though I'm not fond of them).  This is strictly a single-player game.

Apparently the cosmetics are for during co-op play as the whole game can be done in co-op

I won't judge anything until I see it. Cosmetics in a SP game? We've had that for god knows how long and it has never been a problem. If that is purely like cosmetics in Tomb Raider and Dying Light, I don't see a problem, because there is no problem. Someone explain it to me why that is a problem. Before you say "Because you can spend money", just remember we had cosmetic DLCs for I reckon a decade, and no one raised a single pitchfork. I want good arguments.

But if we're talking buying your usual Far Cry craftable items with silver bars, instead of let's say skinning 5 bears, you can buy a bigger ammo capacity bag directly, then we've got a huge, and I mean huge problem. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

But if we're talking buying your usual Far Cry craftable items with silver bars, instead of let's say skinning 5 bears, you can buy a bigger ammo capacity bag directly, then we've got a huge, and I mean huge problem. 

In Assassins Creed, they have always done this, pay X to skip Y so I don't know if this'll be the same thing to "Save time" 

image.png.df0072aabaec41b8f1210296c5f4b682.png

but HOWEVER

image.png.5637036830502da2999e3ce61d80a4d8.png

Does this mean you can PAY to skip the whole crafting system? Seems a bit bullshit to me

X=Money

Y=Crafting grind

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

In Assassins Creed, they have always done this, pay X to skip Y so I don't know if this'll be the same thing to "Save time" 

image.png.df0072aabaec41b8f1210296c5f4b682.png

X=Money

Y=Crafting grind

As I said, not saying anything until I see what we're dealing against. I hope we're talking only skins that used to be cosmetic DLCs. I do love Far Cry, so I am hoping here that they don't mess it up, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. 

EDIT: Also, "done always"? I don't see the option on let's say AC2. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

As I said, not saying anything until I see what we're dealing against. I hope we're talking only skins that used to be cosmetic DLCs. I do love Far Cry, so I am hoping here that they don't mess it up, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. 

4 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

image.png.5637036830502da2999e3ce61d80a4d8.png

Does this mean you can PAY to skip the whole crafting system? Seems a bit bullshit to me "Skins" aren't specific enough.

I just edited my post as you replied, but I'm still on the edge of it all. 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I just edited my post as you replied, but I'm still on the edge of it all. 

Here I am, hoping that silver bars are this rare items that you can find only in game for best loot and not buy for real money, but I am being overly naive, ain't I?

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Here I am, hoping that silver bars are this rare items that you can find only in game for best loot and not buy for real money, but I am being overly naive, ain't I?

You're hoping from a lot from Ubisoft to be honest, boss. 

Aaaaand right on queue @SC2Mitch

image.png.716c3de0aed8b8ee1b29ac327a8836c5.png

I guess we need to accept most people have already embraced microtransactions.

In the future I'm sure many of these same folks will cry 'Why am I paying 60 for base game, pre-order exclusive bonuses, 20 to 40 for each DLC or another 60 to 100 for the Season pass for season pass exclusive content, a 9.99 monthly fee for the servers and microtransactions to unlock lootboxes for mostly cosmetic but also some gameplay elements and if I want to skip them I can just grind for 4000 to 5000 hours while paying 9.99 per month plus the game cost plus the season pass for the privilege of grinding?"

And many will honestly wonder how did we got here if Microtransactions on paid games for cosmetic items were just fine, how come it turned into this? Why was there no push back and why are most gaming companies gone out of business?

You all normalized this shit, that'd be why.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Why is everyone saying this is a single player game? Has it been confirmed as such? Because Far Cry 4 had both standard multiplayer and co-op.

1 hour ago, Morgan Everett said:

Yeah, Far Cry 5 has multiplayer coop. 

1 hour ago, Shanhara said:

Apparently the cosmetics are for during co-op play as the whole game can be done in co-op

I stand corrected.  I was not aware of that, since I don't dabble much in multi-player or co-op stuff.

I'm still not a fan, but at least it makes a little more sense.  It's still going to be a "Wait for a sale" game at best, though.

Just when I thought devs were getting better after bf2

SMH

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Are me comfortable with this being the default state? Or are we gonna make some noise!

I pretty much already voted with my wallet quite some time ago. Besides Skyrim, which I bought with all DLC included in a sale for $10, I don't remember the last time I bought a AAA game. I got Battlefield 3 as a Christmas present some time ago, but I quickly disliked how tightly controlled (by EA) that game was. I pretty much wrote off AAA gaming altogether after that.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I pretty much already voted with my wallet quite some time ago. Besides Skyrim, which I bought with all DLC included in a sale for $10, I don't remember the last time I bought a AAA game. I got Battlefield 3 as a Christmas present some time ago, but I quickly disliked how tightly controlled (by EA) that game was. I pretty much wrote off AAA gaming altogether after that.

Everyone says BF3 was the best  Battlefied game aside from Bad Company or BF2,EA's BF series only got worse after bf3 though. BF4 DLC was expensive as the game itself,BF1 has alot of bullshit, like even the DLC weapons are behind unlocks.

There's tons of cheap "indie" games that can be more fun people just need to take the time to look on steam.

did anyone expect any different? lol

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

My stance is to an EXTENT Micro transactions depending on WHAT they are can be okay in a MP game. In Rainbow6 you buy R6, you "can" buy Operators with this and money or you can play the game and unlock them fairly quickly. Almost EVERYTHING in the game can be earned at a reasonable rate through gameplay. Even cosmetics. 
Though fuck off with them in SP games. 
Season passes I've been on edge on whether I like them or not. Day 1 season passes to me are always give me the idea of "here is Far Cry 5, it is in a good enough state to call a full game but don't worry, in 3 months we'll add some stuff that really makes the game whole". If the DLC is like a whole new game, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragons being a DLC for FC3 kind of big.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

Are me comfortable with this being the default state? Or are we gonna make some noise!

We shouldn't be making noise. It's the entire reason why they keep pulling this bullshit. People need to start not buying these games to send a message to the publishers that this isn't ok. What incentive do publishers have to stop these annoying and shitty practices if people keep sending their finances into the black?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I could care less about cosmetics being there as long as they don't affect gameplay.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Aaaaand right on queue @SC2Mitch

image.png.716c3de0aed8b8ee1b29ac327a8836c5.png

I guess we need to accept most people have already embraced microtransactions.

In the future I'm sure many of these same folks will cry 'Why am I paying 60 for base game, pre-order exclusive bonuses, 20 to 40 for each DLC or another 60 to 100 for the Season pass for season pass exclusive content, a 9.99 monthly fee for the servers and microtransactions to unlock lootboxes for mostly cosmetic but also some gameplay elements and if I want to skip them I can just grind for 4000 to 5000 hours while paying 9.99 per month plus the game cost plus the season pass for the privilege of grinding?"

And many will honestly wonder how did we got here if Microtransactions on paid games for cosmetic items were just fine, how come it turned into this? Why was there no push back and why are most gaming companies gone out of business?

You all normalized this shit, that'd be why.

Yep let's make a slippery slope argument. Seems super sound logic. There is a difference between certain microtransactions. I mean look at how much flack EA got for BF2 microtransactions vs blizzard with their overwatch lootboxes. Clearly the community is saying what blizzard is doing is ok and what EA did was not. If a company makes a game with dumb microtransactions then more than likely they will get flack for it but don't assume if people aren't against all microtransactions that microtransactions will get more and more ridiculous.

Do you remember when cheats and cosmetics were part of gameplay experience? Pepperidge farm remembers

Im completly on the side of @Misanthrope, this shit will only go further and game publisher bootlickers will continue to find bullshit arguments like corporations also need to eat, games get more and more expensive to create and all other wankery like that, despire most 3xA games reusing something akin to 60% of the previous installment in the series as the base for the new game and blowing more then half of the budget on marketing and pretty motion-capture cinematics. I guess we should thank lord Gaben for opening the floodgates for this with tf2 hats, and i know that valve is the least offender in this, maybe besides csasino:go.

Well, i hope you everybody is ready for xbox:live sub services coming to pc, since ea already mentioned that shit in sliding in their shareholders reports. And dont say that servers cost money, all that shit is budgeted into initial cost of the game way before development even begins

44 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yep let's make a slippery slope argument. Seems super sound logic.

There is no logic needed when we can already see a very gradual but very steady increase in the tolerance level for this bullshit: If you tried this 12 years ago you'd have a widespread gaming revolt but little by little, with calculated risks and timely concessions, they have sold everyone here on the idea of kidnapping content away one way or another for a game you already paid for.

I can appreciate most of you being far too young to really remember but gaming has evolved quite a bit from the days of support content being called an expansion to the current standard of "let's turn our devs into modders except sell those cosmetic items" deal of this thread.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I was excited for FC5.

Now all I can think of is how much I'll b*tch about it when it releases.

What I still find interesting is how games that games that do not incorporate these shady tactics are becoming less and less of a thing.

AAA games are becoming the new blockbuster movies, some really great gems & some that just need to bring in money.

My hope is that indie games will becoming the new old AAA games. We'll see where this goes.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Why buy the clothes when you can't see the clothes tho

The game might have third person? You know, where the player camera is behind the character? Allowing to see their clothes, that you collected the bars to unlock.

Also co-op mode.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

MT's in a single-player game are the problem.

Which has been done countless times before. You're not forced into buying the bars. If anything the player would be suggested to do the exploration to find them.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

22 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You're not forced into buying the bars.

Forced is a nice word. Ofc nobody is pushing you at gun-point, but redesigning gameplay elements to make micro-transactions seem more appealable is, in a way, far worse. And the kicker is - after you allow mt's into gameplay, you can never be sure that game systems are not affected by it, ranging from making basic character model look displeasing/irritating to increasing grinding to borderline infuriating levels, since you know, you gotta sell those timesavers, and who needs timesavers when the part of the game you are selling skip for is enjoyable enough not to be skipped. Or, regarding bars, making getting them via gameplay a non-viable option for non-masochistic person. In ye old good time masochists got super rare items costumes and stuff, nowadays they get what other people opt to pay for

I whole-heartedly recommend getting acquainted with concepts of soft power and smart power, and then trying to implement that knowledge to understanding corporate tactics, esp b2c ones

I like it how they are free to admit they will have micro transactions but refuse to say if the game will support Nvidia SLI. Shows what a great game this will be...

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

6 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

The game is $60, Micro transactions shouldn't be a thing

The price of games hasn't changed for a significant time. It being a $60 game isn't a good defense against microtransactions, it's the big reason behind them. If you, or anyone else doesn't want microtransactions to exist, start a petition to get publishers to raise prices and remove them, or just don't buy the damn game.

clothing items (Why are clothing items in a SP game??

Depending on the game, clothes can change stats, like strength, stealth, health, mana, stamina, luck, etc.

Season pass is the deluxe box of bullshit in my eyes

It's just a preorder on the DLC, ands again, game prices have largely stayed the same for a long time.

6 hours ago, Energycore said:

Are me comfortable with this being the default state?

I am. Plenty of indie games out there that are sustainable whilst asking for significantly less money, nor do I even remotely need to buy them. That, and I have an understanding that in order to pay increasing bills, I need to find ways of making more money.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.