Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On V8 muscle cars, yeah, the 40's sound awesome. but on a 4 cylinder, not so much. ;)

The Cherry Bomb Vortex sounds good on pretty much any engine. :)

Good point. Don't intend to own a 4 cylinder any time soon though. :D

I like Flowmaster 40 series more in sound. :/

They sound great on my 5.0!

Good point. Don't intend to own a 4 cylinder any time soon though. :D

Yeah, but the KA24DE is a 4 cylinder.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Should say, differential housing, not the gears themselves.

The hardest part of building a housing is the bearing surfaces in the center. If you already have a housing you want to modify, that is much simpler.

I'll try to dig up some pics of external differential mounts I have made in the past.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

They sound great on my 5.0!

:D

Yeah, but the KA24DE is a 4 cylinder.

Isn't relevant to me.. :P

The hardest part of building a housing is the bearing surfaces in the center. If you already have a housing you want to modify, that is much simpler.

I'll try to dig up some pics of external differential mounts I have made in the past.

That'd be helpful. :o

It's relevant to what originally brought up the muffler suggestions :P

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

It's relevant to what originally brought up the muffler suggestions :P

I know. :)

I know. :)

:P

There are a few different years and designs in here but all following the same basic design. The Differential is a Zexel-Torsen. 

Here is a 2013 brake side mount, with some A-arm mounts:

2013-03-26%2013.55.01_zpshj1pzima.jpg

Several from 2011 (mostly) in various stages of completeness:

SAM_0065_zpsctwipvrb.jpg

SAM_0066_zpsn1batuky.jpg

SAM_0067_zpsccucrrxw.jpg

SAM_0083_zpsfinnlmka.jpg

SAM_0092_zpsgihshlly.jpg

Complete Assembly:

SAM_0128_zpsccrwevc1.jpg

SAM_0129_zpsatpp9129.jpg

Complete 2011 car:

SAM_0121_zpsk06oljum.jpg

SAM_0122_zpsskmdfxlc.jpg

I am still trying to dig out my albums from 2013, but I am afraid I was not very organized that year lol. 

EDIT:

Bonus pics of the Front uprights; IMHO the coolest looking single parts on the car:

SAM_0070_zps8jriauvm.jpg

SAM_0089_zps8w2vpo5o.jpg

SAM_0069_zpsuxf7tvqy.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Whys it so quiet ?

11921720_10153449322256815_3207009030063

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Any recommended larger Alternators for a NA MX5?

A friend of mine keeps killing Alternators ever since he added Subs to his sound system. So a larger alternator is the solution coming to mind. Which one would you recommend?

How much budget is he looking at? Is he looking for a drop on replacement, or is he willing to fabricate a mount for a large competition/RV alternator?

I suppose a basic upgrade is what he is after (I don't think it is an over the top build, as that is rare on roadsters). If so, Powermax sells affordable drop-on units. They have a 130A alt for older Miatas. Do a fused big-3 wiring upgrade with the new alternator.

I use Powermax' 240A alternator on my other car, and it's been running for years. Not nearly as good as a competition alternator, but the extra capacity at a low price (with no fabrication) is definitely great.

Have you considered a big capacitor at the amp? Is he using under drive pulleys?

Even a high end alternator isn't going to be able to supply enough current at idle engine speeds for a decent sound system. A 75A alternator for instance is rated for about 1000w, but that is at like 5000RPM and not idle speeds. Idle is probably 1/3 of that output. Buffering the power draw with capacity can really alleviate the strain on the charging system.

A 6 cell lead-acid battery charges to about 12.6-12.8v at max, while the charging system runs above that voltage. Because of this, the amp is drawing all power solely from the alternator unless voltage at the amp terminals drops below battery voltage. Every big note shocks the voltage regulator on the alternator as it tries to maintain a constant voltage.

Using a capacitor can alleviate this shock to the voltage regulator. Capacitors will charge up to the same voltage as the alternator output unlike the battery and so those same huge notes will simply discharge the capacitor before it has a chance to shock the regulator in the alternator.

A capacitor won't do anything for constant power draws, but can make those instantaneous draws like what an amp does much easier on the charging system.

As far as alternators go, I usually use the cheap ones from the chain stores because they have awesome warranties. The only special alternator I ever used was from "Orange County Alternators" that a guy a NAPA ordered for me. I kept killing alternators because of a sound system (and a fuel pump that ran 100% duty cycle drawing a constant 20A). This alternator the dude ordered for me was for a Canadian model of my car and was rated for 90A instead of 75A. Daily running lights are required on Canadian car models so sometimes the alternators are a bit beefier (at least that was the case in my situation.

The 5000 rpm you may be talking about may be the alternator shaft rpm. With the pulley ratios that most cars are running, most can deliver the maximum charge rate at cruising rpms. The larger the alternator, the more capable it is of delivering sufficient output at low rpms (generally).

Caps do help smoothen the supply and demand to reduce the depth of voltage dips during transients. If he is killing alternators though, I bet there is already a serious deficit in output (killing the rectifier diodes or the brushes from running at continuous max capacity).

This woman completely crashed the back of my dad's Corolla while we were stationary in traffic.... Not much visual external damage on our car but I'm sure there's plenty of structural damage. The front of her car was smashed.

System: Thinkpad T460

This woman completely crashed the back of my dad's Corolla while we were stationary in traffic.... Not much visual external damage on our car but I'm sure there's plenty of structural damage. The front of her car was smashed.

That's sad man. I hope everyone's safe.

How dumb of an idea is it to weld your differential to something?

Very gud

Suggestions for a muffler for the KA24DE?

I want something kinda quiet at city cpeeds, but something that sounds mean at high RPMs but not too loud that I have to crank my stereo way up.

I would say get one of those mufflers that have a flap that opens and closes depending on the flow.

Anyone know if underglow is Legal in alabama?

I'm reading some stuff but its all questiony like only RED on the back and WHITE on the front and stuff like dat

Man I felt 15 again. Underglow is so much hassle that people don't do it anymore

In any crash when a car is hit from the back the car in the front will seem like they suffered less. But the one in the back will have bent metal and so on

1997 Corolla... here we go

?

New mcm video out today(Aussie time)

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

That's sad man. I hope everyone's safe.

Thanks everyone is fine.

Sad because our car was mint and my dad took crazily good care of it and it has been with us since brand new in 07. It only looks like there is some bent bumper, fenders, etc. but...

swAGQdH.jpg

The pic is of a structural part of the car running on each side of the car next to the fuel tank and shocks, struts, etc.

System: Thinkpad T460

Aight, let's do dis shit.

Does anyone know if a video where someone directs a torsen diff. I want to make the car I'm probably getting into a torsen but I don't want to screw up a daily

Time for some DIY work

Hopefully

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Does anyone know if a video where someone directs a torsen diff. I want to make the car I'm probably getting into a torsen but I don't want to screw up a daily

Best advice I can give you is to not come to me for advice on that.

Best advice I can give you is to not come to me for advice on that.

Hmmm mmm hımmm.

Btw the new mcm video is up on YouTube maaaddddd

Thanks everyone is fine.

Sad because our car was mint and my dad took crazily good care of it and it has been with us since brand new in 07. It only looks like there is some bent bumper, fenders, etc. but...

-snip-

The pic is of a structural part of the car running on each side of the car next to the fuel tank and shocks, struts, etc.

Welcome to the I drive a horribly-broken-rear-ended-Corolla club!!! :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1