Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Test drives are normal. Doing 70 in a 45 like that for an plate sticker inspection is not normal.

This is pretty much what I've gathered, though most say New York State Inspections do not require a test drive. 

Honestly if I found he had done 45mph on the 4 minute test drive (and not 70 on a rainy day) we wouldn't be having this conversation. Definitely going to let the manger/supervisor/owner know and not throw a fit. At absolute most, hint that my $125 alignment that only adjusted rear toe on the car should maybe knocked down since no work on the front two wheels seemed to be performed (the alignment check was free). 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Wouldn't you be interested in playing the Karen once in your life? 😉

Not really. It doesn't change what was done and it wouldn't actually make me feel any better about what happened. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@vetali

Thoughts? Pending P0507 and a set P2646, 190K miles 06 Element. Snap-on scanner is wiggin out.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Not really. It doesn't change what was done and it wouldn't actually make me feel any better about what happened. 

yeah i mean it's not like he crashed the car or something. I'd probably say something like "hey it's not a big deal to me but just letting you know, other customers might not take it as lightly if it happens again" that sort of thing.

I don't burn bridges if i can avoid it. Never know who you'll meet again one day.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah i mean it's not like he crashed the car or something. I'd probably say something like "hey it's not a big deal to me but just letting you know, other customers might not take it as lightly if it happens again" that sort of thing.

I don't burn bridges if i can avoid it. Never know who you'll meet again one day.

The bridge will be left standing but I will need good incentive to cross it again after this. That's also means about $2600-3100 of labor is lost for my GF's car repair they quoted her; we will be taking that elsewhere (AKA my garage, but we planned on doing that anyways)

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The bridge will be left standing but I will need good incentive to cross it again after this. That's also means about $2600-3100 of labor is lost for my GF's car repair they quoted her; we will be taking that elsewhere (AKA my garage, but we planned on doing that anyways)

Fuck them, let them know exactly why they lost that repair.

56 minutes ago, Bitter said:

@vetali

Thoughts? Pending P0507 and a set P2646, 190K miles 06 Element. Snap-on scanner is wiggin out.

Oh boy. So the idle won't drop below 950, we're starting to think someone juiced the idle up to hide low oil pressure. There's a new aftermarket looking IACV on it. It does pass both scanner tool tests for vtec and IACV but customer says it shakes over 3K rpm which jives with a vtec problem. This is probably going back to the car lot and not getting fixed.

48 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I've never really found a good mechanic where I live, just do everything myself. 

I want to find that little guy works who maybe has his own little shops, doesn't have too many customers so he can spend more time on everyone's cars, loves everything he touches and goes the extra mile to make sure everything is done right. So hard to find.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 3/18/2021 at 3:29 AM, Beasterdudeman_yt said:

Is that v6 on a MOTORCYCLE?!?!

Unfortunately not. It's a Triumph Rocket III, a three cylinder model. 

Even now, six years after the post you quoted, it's my "realistic" dream motorcycle. 

But as other's have pointed out, you can get motorcycles with V6 engines and above. 

The most overkill that I know being the Boss Hoss 502, which uses a Chevrolet V8.

Boss-Hoss-Black.jpg 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I've never really found a good mechanic where I live, just do everything myself. 

I want to find that little guy works who maybe has his own little shops, doesn't have too many customers so he can spend more time on everyone's cars, loves everything he touches and goes the extra mile to make sure everything is done right. So hard to find.

Thankfully I found that in a paint guy a few miles from my house. Freaking loves the blue on my car and the quality of half the stuff I bring him to paint for me (comparing my rear valance to a STI fiberglass front bumper he had for a different customer)

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

This is pretty much what I've gathered, though most say New York State Inspections do not require a test drive. 

Honestly if I found he had done 45mph on the 4 minute test drive (and not 70 on a rainy day) we wouldn't be having this conversation. Definitely going to let the manger/supervisor/owner know and not throw a fit. At absolute most, hint that my $125 alignment that only adjusted rear toe on the car should maybe knocked down since no work on the front two wheels seemed to be performed (the alignment check was free). 

Nah. Just tell them/show them what happened, let them know you're not happy about it, and that you won't be returning as a customer again. Then don't return as a customer again. Or at least not as long as that employee works there. 

That speaks poorly of their work ethic too, I wouldn't trust that guy with my brakes or anything really. If he does that kind of dumb shit driving what kind of dumb shit does he do wrenching?

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Oh boy. So the idle won't drop below 950, we're starting to think someone juiced the idle up to hide low oil pressure. There's a new aftermarket looking IACV on it. It does pass both scanner tool tests for vtec and IACV but customer says it shakes over 3K rpm which jives with a vtec problem. This is probably going back to the car lot and not getting fixed.

This is really really ironic. I just went through 3 IACs on a CRV. 2 aftermarkets both fixed the initial complaint but ran at 1100 RPM. OEM it was fine. I rechecked my diag each time and came up with a faulty IAC. I will DM some info, can't share publicly.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

58 minutes ago, vetali said:

This is really really ironic. I just went through 3 IACs on a CRV. 2 aftermarkets both fixed the initial complaint but ran at 1100 RPM. OEM it was fine. I rechecked my diag each time and came up with a faulty IAC. I will DM some info, can't share publicly.

Appreciate it, I'll do a quick check on the thing monday morning and maybe re-talk to the client however I think they're off the deal on the car now and I don't think it was a deal. Honda or not buying a used car with almost 200K miles doesn't seem like a good idea.

Randoms amazing luck strikes again. last week it was the hood. this week they finally finished the install and take it on the test drive to find it surging. after a while on the phone with fitech they concluded that the efi unit on the motor is bad.. I wasnt getting a tach signal in the system at all and according to fitech is a common defect. yayyyyy. so NOW i get to figure out how rma works with a fucking motor lol also herd ATK warranty is trash so i guess ill be seeing how trash very soon. brand new motor..... sigh

edit heres part 2 of hood replacement saga fml on that too

i musta been an aweful person in a past life cause its like amazing how bad my luck is

image.png.7af85cded0e76396537b2ba0f77716d7.png

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

14 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Randoms amazing luck strikes again. last week it was the hood. this week they finally finished the install and take it on the test drive to find it surging. after a while on the phone with fitech they concluded that the efi unit on the motor is bad.. I wasnt getting a tach signal in the system at all and according to fitech is a common defect. yayyyyy. so NOW i get to figure out how rma works with a fucking motor lol also herd ATK warranty is trash so i guess ill be seeing how trash very soon. brand new motor..... sigh

edit heres part 2 of hood replacement saga fml on that too

i musta been an aweful person in a past life cause its like amazing how bad my luck is

You can't just send back the EFI unit, you have to send the whole engine back? EFI unit=ECM right? Oh is this one of those units like a bolt on EFI TBI setup in place of a carb? Why not just go with a port EFI setup and more traditional EFI intake manifold setup but with a standalone ECM?

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You can't just send back the EFI unit, you have to send the whole engine back? EFI unit=ECM right? Oh is this one of those units like a bolt on EFI TBI setup in place of a carb? Why not just go with a port EFI setup and more traditional EFI intake manifold setup but with a standalone ECM?

$1200 vs 3-5000 and fitech said everything attached to the tbi woudl need to go back. sensors and all. even the handheld system that goes in the car im not sending the motor back cause there is no reason for that. just everything electronic on the motor

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Just now, That_Random_Guy said:

$1200 vs 3-5000

A compelling reason!

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Besides the very high-end models above the RS4, they're all Volkswagen engines enyway. And that the Audi TT and Audi R8 are being discontinued in a year or so also isn't news, they said that one or two years ago already. Apparently to "improve their eco rating".

What VW’s use the 3.0L V6? (supercharged or the later turbo ones)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Benji said:

None, but they are also a rarity in Audis. The Touareg even has a V8 TDI from Audi. They have been designed by Audi but they are sparsely used anyway. Volkswagen has 4cyl only IIRC. I think it's sad that Volkswagen discontinued their own 2l 4cyl Bi-Turbo diesel. Same as Ford outside of the Ford Edge, the 240hp Bi-TDI would've been great in the Focus ST Diesel over the Mk3 185hp and the Mk4 190hp single-turbo.

Man two turbos greatly increases cost tho I can see why they didn’t 

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Benji said:

What do you have to say about the BMW B57 V6 higher-end quad-turbo engine? 😉

i mean a car made for rich ppl is a diff story lol. at that point you're just doing it because why not

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Benji said:

B57 V6?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, Benji said:

None, but they are also a rarity in Audis. The Touareg even has a V8 TDI from Audi. They have been designed by Audi but they are sparsely used anyway. Volkswagen has 4cyl only IIRC. I think it's sad that Volkswagen discontinued their own 2l 4cyl Bi-Turbo diesel. Same as Ford outside of the Ford Edge, the 240hp Bi-TDI would've been great in the Focus ST Diesel over the Mk3 185hp and the Mk4 190hp single-turbo.

3.0 TDI the V6 ... was originally an Audi Engine that was redone by VW 

2 hours ago, Benji said:

also BMW has never made a V6 to my knowledge .. its all I6 

even MB went back to I6 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

even MB went back to I6 

They never had quite gotten that whole V shaped timing thing down so well when it came to long term durability.

Just now, Bitter said:

They never had quite gotten that whole V shaped timing thing down so well when it came to long term durability.

look at their diesels .. their CDI V6 diesel line up was hell of a lot more reliable than the beloved OM606 while making even more power and torque

plus their V12 TT thingy by AMG is seriously reliable ... if you look past some minor oil leaking issues and needing to disassemble half the engine for some of the seals 

and V8s are ... id say .. better than BMWs offerings 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO