Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Glad you realized you're wrong.

Nope, its just mote to argue with someone who doesnt know anything about electronics.....

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Nope, its just mote to argue with someone who doesnt know anything about electronics.....

Same for you about cars, clearly.

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Same for you about cars, clearly.

Im a car electrician and elextronoc hobbist, watch your mourh....

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

scuse me, coming through

https://contentgrid.homedepot-static.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOMNEW/fetch/NexGen/ContentPage/Drywall-Guide-2.jpg

when you got too much drywall tho

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

when you got too much drywall tho

That's impressive, I'd be behind a toolbox or something tbh

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's impressive, I'd be behind a toolbox or something tbh

Like some drywall?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

change of topic, should i change transmission on my 1998 civic ex from auto to manual, i do have expirience on working on a car, just never with the transmission

6 hours ago, ComputerBuilder said:

change of topic, should i change transmission on my 1998 civic ex from auto to manual, i do have expirience on working on a car, just never with the transmission

I mean, itd probably be cheaper to buy a manual civic than convert the auto. Since youre gonna need the box, clutch and flywheel, lines, selector linkages, pedal box and possibly ecus from a manual car

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

I mean, itd probably be cheaper to buy a manual civic than convert the auto. Since youre gonna need the box, clutch and flywheel, lines, selector linkages, pedal box and possibly ecus from a manual car

true, but it was my moms first car in america, she died to gene cancer, so no time soon am i selling it, it still will shift at like 800 under the rev range if you gas the shit outta it like i mean, GAS

lets just say my mom not like clutch

9 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Im a car electrician and elextronoc hobbist, watch your mourh....

Me too! Been in an independent shop for 15 years and was a home hobbiest for 5 years prior, took small engines and auto in highschool then the full course at a local college. Got taught electrical by a guy moonlighting from the GM training center. I need to get the rest of my ASE's but I'm fairly competent with vehicles.

Well guys, after much deliberation I sold my 1992 Miata with the hardtop and all. It was going to be parked for the winter anyways as the heat didn't work, and it always seemed like it had some kind of transmission problem, so I decided to move on. 

However, let me introduce you guys to my new project / daily 1994 Honda Civic Del Sol Si!

PXL_20210123_181842590.thumb.jpg.c4c788045a8a8fa32b63e4a2b7737231.jpg

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

24 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Me too! Been in an independent shop for 15 years and was a home hobbiest for 5 years prior, took small engines and auto in highschool then the full course at a local college. Got taught electrical by a guy moonlighting from the GM training center. I need to get the rest of my ASE's but I'm fairly competent with vehicles.

You forgot to mention you're numerous military decorations for keyboard warrior campaigns....  

Pete

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Just now, 711jrp said:

You forgot to mention you're numerous military decorations for keyboard warrior campaigns....  

come on guys, get along. Lol.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

55 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Me too!

No, you are not. If you were you would know some basic stuff like switching PSU's actually use PWM:
https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/blog/linear-regulated-vs-switch-mode-power-supply/

A switch mode power supply regulates an output voltage with pulse width modulation (PWM).

Advantages

• Small form factor. The step-down transformer in an SMPS operates at a high frequency which in turn reduces its volume and weight. This allows a switching power supply to enjoy a much smaller form factor than linear regulators.
  • High efficiency. Voltage regulation in a switching power supply is made without dissipating excessive amounts of heat. SMPS efficiency can be as high as 85%-90%.
  • Flexible applications. Additional windings can be added to a switching power supply to provide more than one output voltage. A transformer-isolated SMPS can also provide output voltages that are independent of input voltages.

So again, the video i linked pretty much shows how little heat-sinking is needed for a switching PSUs. If you need more examples take a look at computer PSUs which make several voltages with very little heat-sinking.

This is the end of this dumb argument.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

No, you are not. If you were you would know some basic stuff like switching PSU's actually use PWM:
https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/blog/linear-regulated-vs-switch-mode-power-supply/

So again, the video i linked pretty much shows how little heat-sinking is needed for a switching PSUs. If you need more examples take a look at computer PSUs which make several voltages with very little heat-sinking.

This is the end of this dumb argument.

Your initial ask was why blowers use resistor cards and not PWM controls. I told you that while it would be more efficient it would not be cost effective because a PWM blower control costs more for an insignificant gain in efficiency. I answered your question pretty thoroughly, why you can't accept that I don't understand. I have a basic grasp of PC power supplies, yes not an intimate one. I work on cars more than computers because that's my job 40hrs a week. What do you do for a living? Maybe you have a better grasp on electronics than cars and how/why they're built like they are? That's ok, no one knows everything.

not car related but it's bothering me: is it normal in life to get multiple attempts to be a multi-millionaire but fail at all of them just because you didn't do one or two simple little things that would of put yourself in that position? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

not car related but it's bothering me: is it normal in life to get multiple attempts to be a multi-millionaire but fail at all of them just because you didn't do one or two simple little things that would of put yourself in that position? 

I've had zero of those as far as I know so uh you're having better luck than me!

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

You paid for a pizza with bitcoin, didn't you?