Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ya'll really ain't heard of Blackstone Labs? SEND YOUR OIL IN TO GET ANALYZED! At least once per year, it can catch impending doom and tell you if you're changing it often enough or can go further on the changes.

no lol, there's test strips you can get if you're worried about gas or water in your oil, and you can always look with a magnifying glass to see if there's bits of metal. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

no lol, there's test strips you can get if you're worried about gas or water in your oil, and you can always look with a magnifying glass to see if there's bits of metal. 

That's the equivalent of tasting your piss to see if you got diabeetus.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They use a mass spec to read actual contents of the oil, not just guessing if the metal is iron, aluminum, of babbit.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ya'll really ain't heard of Blackstone Labs? SEND YOUR OIL IN TO GET ANALYZED! At least once per year, it can catch impending doom and tell you if you're changing it often enough or can go further on the changes.

Its under warranty. I really don't care lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

They use a mass spec to read actual contents of the oil, not just guessing if the metal is iron, aluminum, of babbit.

understandable, still couldn't see myself doing it as I don't own anything worth a shit. 

AMD blackout rig

I could see myself doing it on something like those BMW’s that have bearing issues and multi-thousand dollar engines

but yeah I don’t have anything that fancy...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

While I appreciate the effort here, this is hardcore science for expensive and/or race engines. Most people derping around day to day will gain almost nothing from this. Even an average wrencher should be able to look, smell, and feel oil, coolant, and examine spark plugs to tell how a car is doing. Well enough to keep it on the road at least, maybe not run a 12 hour, 150 MPH endurance race.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

But it's really not and it's not expensive either. I send in sample for either of my sub $6,000 cars from time to time just to see how they're holding up and if I need to take any corrective action before it costs me an engine. They can test any oil, transmission, hydraulic, etc. I'd rather catch something while it's cheap to fix like a loose air filter box (high silicon and elevated iron) than later when I've got a scored cylinder with low compression.

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I could see myself doing it on something like those BMW’s that have bearing issues and multi-thousand dollar engines

but yeah I don’t have anything that fancy...

I knew a guy with a nikasil engine in his BMW, he was insufferable about gas and all the other stuff associated with it.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

11 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I knew a guy with a nikasil engine in his BMW, he was insufferable about gas and all the other stuff associated with it.

You kind of needed to be, if that coating was damaged it was a real nightmare. Some mopes and scooters had nikasil liners in them too, also a real pain to deal with when they wear. I've got an engine with MMC cylinders myself, not nearly as sensitive or failure prone but you can't trust that anyone has done anything correctly if you're buying a block that's not right from the dealer or you just have to get it sleeved but then you're dealing with the possibility of a dropped sleeve.

Meanwhile I've only ever serviced 1 of my cars (out of 7 so far) and that was just after i got it, purely cause the last service record on it was 2016 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

13 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You're destroying the environment, gosh.

I live in ND; I'm rooting for global warming.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

18 hours ago, Bitter said:

But it's really not and it's not expensive either. I send in sample for either of my sub $6,000 cars from time to time just to see how they're holding up and if I need to take any corrective action before it costs me an engine. They can test any oil, transmission, hydraulic, etc. I'd rather catch something while it's cheap to fix like a loose air filter box (high silicon and elevated iron) than later when I've got a scored cylinder with low compression.

25 samples = 1 engine (prob)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I live in ND; I'm rooting for global warming.

Naw what we should do instead is shovel the ground out of the Dakotas at least a couple hundred feet deep and turn them in to another great lake.

22 hours ago, Bitter said:

my car is, well to be frank, sub 2000. 

AMD blackout rig

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

25 samples = 1 engine (prob)

It's $30 for the sample testing and test kits are free. Maybe you can get a good junkyard engine for some cars for $750. That's why I suggest once maybe twice a year (once every 10,000 or so miles).

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

It's $30 for the sample testing and test kits are free. Maybe you can get a good junkyard engine for some cars for $750. That's why I suggest once maybe twice a year (once every 10,000 or so miles).

I thought it was $40 I was thinking $1k 

but even then... you find you have metal in your oil. What does that mean for your old commuter car? Prob just gonna get another engine anyway since rebuilds usually aren’t worth the effort and can go wrong.

only thing it changes is you know before it disentegrates completely. 

but I do totally understand for a special car you love or something more expensive. Just not something common & cheap. 

especially since 30 oil samples is 300k miles and you can or almost can buy a used engine instead of 30 oil samples in that time frame. 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I thought it was $40 I was thinking $1k 

but even then... you find you have metal in your oil. What does that mean for your old commuter car? Prob just gonna get another engine anyway since rebuilds usually aren’t worth the effort and can go wrong.

only thing it changes is you know before it disentegrates completely. 

but I do totally understand for a special car you love or something more expensive. Just not something common & cheap. 

especially since 30 oil samples is 300k miles and you can or almost can buy a used engine instead of 30 oil samples in that time frame. 

Ample time to trade it in! A little metal once isn't a big deal, I had elevated iron twice. Once a rip in my air filter frame letting dirt in and another time it was a loose air intake resonator clamp letting dirt in. Both times it was a small issue I'd probably have never noticed but overtime would have damaged the engine. I need to do a sample this year, I haven't in a while. $50 in tests probably extended the life of the engine substantially by reducing wear on it.

My Celica always comes back looking great and I hope that continues, it's mostly for that car that I do them once in a while to spot check it. Mazda I do just so I know if there's incoming problems or anything terrible going on so I can dump it while I still can.

what would be a good first car/project car for a high schooler with to much time and resources all the cars i have access to are to nice

12 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

what would be a good first car/project car for a high schooler with to much time and resources all the cars i have access to are to nice

anything Japanese from the 80's, 90's or 00's

they all old and need work at this point

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

anything Japanese from the 80's, 90's or 00's

they all old and need work at this point

question can i 350 swap them because i have an old racing chevy 350 

6 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

question can i 350 swap them because i have an old racing chevy 350 

you can swap anything into anything. Whether it's worth it or not is another story

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

you can swap anything into anything. Whether it's worth it or not is another story

well we have an entire auto shop lifts in all and me being the idiot i am you can bet i will send it down the highway

Yeah S10 is about your best option for a first build if you want to use a 350.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra