Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

No INDYs been doing a mix for a few years. 5 ovals, 5 road courses and 5 street courses. I believe they only use Sebring for testing, but per RACER they were hitting 53/54 second laps with the new bodywork.

target aquired

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

6 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Snip

Thanks man, Yeah did see a new clutch and fan surround is super cheap, Ok so I'll Already accept that the water pump is gone, so water pump and new bottle are on the list. 

With the manual how does the Bently one compare to the Green Haynes one? 

Guess I'll keep the Stock fan just replace whats needed. If there is a bit of oil leaking (Don't know Location Yet) anything you can suggest. I can get my hands on another block but it'll be just the block. and think the leak could be a seal or something. 

The belts are fairly new, but one looks like its about to come off so need to see whats going on there. 

Happy I found someone who knows these 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Guess what got a Nugget!! 

Poor thing has been so badly abused. But got it for like $200, needs a good look at the cooling system but engine idles beautifully smooth. 

Its the e36 325 Coupe. No idea what I'm planning on doing with it, but first its get it back on the road as more of a daily. 

6c174777-2ca5-482a-bd36-e39c173472b6.jpg

I say make it a true daily, make it comfy and such, restore it to a good condition.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Does talk about semitrucks count, and specifically, ones in simulators like ETS2?

Because if so, the new Scania is gorgeous. Albeit not incredibly practical.

20180118145724_1.thumb.jpg.0c870a781ee311b4d7bb4fdde644bc57.jpg

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If semis don't count.... Then here we go...

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-front-view-parked.jp

In Europe, I know this is the Opel Insignia or Vauxhall Insignia. In Australia it's replacing the Commodore.

I kinda wished the GS would allow RWD to be an option instead of the other trims being RWD with AWD option and the GS/TourX being AWD standard or whatever.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I say make it a true daily, make it comfy and such, restore it to a good condition.

Yeah, I'm thinking something along those lines, I won't put big money into it, actually Super Keen to Wrap it as never done that on a car before but who knows, for now, it's sorting out the cooling system, and a bunch of other broken bits it came with. Once I know its going to be worth it to repair then will look at the nice things like that. 

As I said the issue Is don't want to split the money to much between it and my ST. So its more of a fun project to kill time and learn things about cars 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

21 hours ago, Wedsea040 said:

No issues with air bubbles or creasing? I've heard some people have issues with that type of stuff.

Had no issues personally. If you can, take them off the car it will help a lot 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

35 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Thanks man, Yeah did see a new clutch and fan surround is super cheap, Ok so I'll Already accept that the water pump is gone, so water pump and new bottle are on the list. 

With the manual how does the Bently one compare to the Green Haynes one? 

Guess I'll keep the Stock fan just replace whats needed. If there is a bit of oil leaking (Don't know Location Yet) anything you can suggest. I can get my hands on another block but it'll be just the block. and think the leak could be a seal or something. 

The belts are fairly new, but one looks like its about to come off so need to see whats going on there. 

Happy I found someone who knows these 

Bentley is significantly better than Haynes.

If your stock fan is missing blades, it needs replaced (the imbalance will kill it, and wear out the new water pump's bearings quickly). If it isn't, then it should be fine. The fan's what, $50?

Oil -- oh man. Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, rear input bearing, front seal, timing cover, timing chain tensioner, vanos gasket, oil filter housing gasket, valvecover gasket, oil dipstick tube/gasket, etc etc. Narrow down where it's coming from first. I wouldn't go to the effort of swapping blocks unless the engine internals are trash.

Could also be power steering, which is normal to leak. Replace all the hoses for ~$200

You likely need a new set of tensioners and idler pulleys if the belt is trying to slip off, estimate ~$100-200.

There's a popular saying for the E36 M3- it's a $10-12k car. Subtract your purchase price from that amount, and that's roughly what you'll throw at it in the first year or two to bring it up to snuff.

For the non-Ms...call it a $5k car. Most of the wear and maintenance components are the same so the delta really is just the value of M over non-M.

I think you have quite a good learning project on your hands. These are super easy cars to work on and learn, but they're expensive to keep running. The cheaper parts will not last as long as the OE parts, so if you aren't intending on selling it soon, I'd pony up for the higher quality parts.

All that said-- these are super fun cars to drive, once they're in good shape. There is light at the end of the tunnel but it will take money and time to get there.

29 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Snip

Thanks man, Got a mate with an e36, so will buy the book together so if I sell the car it'll still help him out. 

when you say cheap parts don't last long what are we talking 20 000km 50 000km or 5000km? I drive 2km to work and most driving will be sub 15km a day. so if I do keep it it would just be to run around town. 

I'll get pictures of the oil leaks and seek your guidance :P 

yeah will replace the Fan blades (See they a separate item, will prob also need a new clutch) and do the water pump, saw some with metal impellers  yeah thinking it'll need all that done as well. Man turing into a huge project and haven't even seen whats wrong yet. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

9 hours ago, terrytek said:

a Miata??? wuuuuuuuut

Yup, 1999 NB.

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

hue hue hue

Can't wait xD

Just now, byalexandr said:

Yup, 1999 NB.

Can't wait xD

quite the twist. I wished you went FWD and got a protege manual instead but that will do. Tell me again, what's gonna be of the Speed3 again?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

quite the twist. I wished you went FWD and got a protege manual instead but that will do. Tell me again, what's gonna be of the Speed3 again?

Fwd isn't the answer

M iata

I s

A lways

T he

A nswer

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

M iata

I s

A

T errible

A nswer

:P

gotta side with him. impractical for daily use.

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I don't think it's wholly impractical for daily use.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't think it's wholly impractical for daily use.

I wouldn't even remotely call it a grocery getter, unless you live on a box of cereal and a bowl of milk a day. Plus passenger seating is limited, and looks kinda cramped for even 2. But still looks like they're fun as hell to drive still.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I wouldn't even remotely call it a grocery getter, unless you live on a box of cereal and a bowl of milk a day. Plus passenger seating is limited, and looks kinda cramped for even 2. But still looks like they're fun as hell to drive still.

Then prelude is the Answer, more power, more room, and actually beat the Miata a few years as best handling car

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

You can get groceries in a Miata..

"Miatas aren't practical"

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

Not really. Trunk is more spacious than you think. + the parcel shelf under the rear window is pretty big. 

+ if you’re by yourself the passenger seat is only 4 bolts. I’ve taken mine out a few times to say, transport a large object such as a tire before

the biggest downside really is driver fitment. Anything more than 6’ and it’s pretty much a no go. I’m 5’11” and I still find myself uncomfortable at times. Mainly with the steering wheel being in the way of my legs.

If only I could solve that without ensuring my death in a car accident...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

Does talk about semitrucks count, and specifically, ones in simulators like ETS2?

Because if so, the new Scania is gorgeous. Albeit not incredibly practical.

20180118145724_1.thumb.jpg.0c870a781ee311b4d7bb4fdde644bc57.jpg

Always find myself driving the Scanias, since the steering wheel logo is nearly identical to my Saab :D

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Not really. Trunk is more spacious than you think. + the parcel shelf under the rear window is pretty big. 

+ if you’re by yourself the passenger seat is only 4 bolts. I’ve taken mine out a few times to say, transport a large object such as a tire before

the biggest downside really is driver fitment. Anything more than 6’ and it’s pretty much a no go. I’m 5’11” and I still find myself uncomfortable at times. Mainly with the steering wheel being in the way of my legs.

I fit in a NA at 6'5"

But I'm all torso height and have short legs, car also had a Bride Low Max seat, and quick release steering wheel which probably contributed to me actually fitting

2 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Yup, 1999 NB.

Can't wait xD

Haven't been following but what happened to your MazdaSpeed3?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Cage + harness