Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

but 7320 ft-lbs....

@warmmilk

its glorious

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

but 7320 ft-lbs....

@warmmilk

i wonder how much stress this would put on the driveline. And how much grip you're gonna even have with that much torque in the first place.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i wonder how much stress this would put on the driveline. And how much grip you're gonna even have with that much torque in the first place.

im sure it limits the torque a lot. 

In fact i bet 99% of the time you're never getting the full torque amount. the car will only get you as much as possible without spinning the wheels if i had to guess?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

The torque is going to be constantly modulated to get rid of wheel spin. You wont be using even close to peak torque to take off. Like on the model s, application of torque will be done by a computer to maximize acceleration.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

7 minutes ago, bob345 said:

The torque is going to be constantly modulated to get rid of wheel spin. You wont be using even close to peak torque to take off. Like on the model s, application of torque will be done by a computer to maximize acceleration.

Then why even source such a powerful motor if you won't be able to even use all that torque?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

Then why even source such a powerful motor if you won't be able to even use all that torque?

because when you're going 200mph and want to get to 250, you need all the torque you can get.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, Electronic Nation said:

wut

Spoiler

Just now, terrytek said:

Knowing Elon Musk, probably just because he could. With that much torque, literally the only limiting factor would be tires. who knows what the new roadster would be able to do if they threw on some drag radials.

im so confused...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Electronic Nation said:

-snip-

at a personal level, off topic posts dont count towards you... 

At a thread level... yes we like posts. We like useful posts. not empty posts or stupid posts that is going to do nothing but get our beautiful car thread locked. so go away and go do that somewhere else

Spoiler

Back to the topic of crazy fast electric cars, here's a crazy diy e36 ev

Just now, bob345 said:

That a electric car?

-nvm-

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Electronic Nation said:

-snip-

well you caught me in a bad mood so....

sorry.

just dont spam. thanks.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bob345 said:

13 minutes ago, Electronic Nation said:

That a electric car?

Its one of the early fully publicised swaps yes, but I havent heard from EV West in years.

We've come a long way though, if you have the know-how.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

On the topic of the 7+k ft lbs of torque and going 250 (CC: @Real_PhillBert), it probably has that much and limits the motors so 1, you don't do burnouts every time your sneeze with your foot over the pedal; 2, that enough torque is left when the motors are spinning really fast so you can actually go 250 MPH.

2 hours ago, bob345 said:

its glorious

if its legit

ill believe everything once consumer tests are carried out

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

There's a pothole on the street exiting my school that you can almost sit in.

turns-radio-music.jpg

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

8 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

There's a pothole on the street exiting my school that you can almost sit in.

I want to drag an anchor behind me so these damn roads will get fixed.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I want to drag an anchor behind me so these damn roads will get fixed.

There are streets bad enough here that when it rains, they turn into an "urban pond."

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

10 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

There are streets bad enough here that when it rains, they turn into an "urban pond."

Glorious, I'm glad I live basically on a really really big hill. It never floods here. Streets become a river though.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

but 7320 ft-lbs....

@warmmilk

15 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

I'm highly skeptical about the announced Tesla Roadster and its claimed numbers.

0-60 mph in under 2 seconds on normal street tires doesn't seem possible. At least not when you look at any other car.

Based on my experience in the P100D, I think it's possible. 

The model S is all about perfect traction. But tires provide maximum forward thrust when slipping a little... and that's where I think they're pulling that extra performance out of. Based on the vids I've seen, it drive the tires just slightly out of traction, therefore capable of plaid acceleration...

also, I don't think Musk would claim something like this just for the first journalist that gets his dirty paws on one of these things to prove him wrong...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I just spent £90 pretty much on a plastic grille. RIP my bank account :/

In more positive news I now own a stupid difficult to get hold of GT grille :)

*Picture for reference*

20170715_131754.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h