Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, terrytek said:

I really want one of those thumb ratchets because sometimes space is super tight and I feel like those might come in super handy

I use mine all the time. Not just when space is tight but when you have a lot of thread to cover with little resistance. 

I have a 1/4" and 3/8" thumbwheel ratchets, but only the 1/4" is Snap-On. The 3/8" is a USA made Craftsman. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I use mine all the time. Not just when space is tight but when you have a lot of thread to cover with little resistance. 

I have a 1/4" and 3/8" thumbwheel ratchets, but only the 1/4" is Snap-On. The 3/8" is a USA made Craftsman. 

There were so many times where a thumbwheel ratched could have come in super handy, because with a normal ratchet you can only move it one click at a time. 

And I wished Craftsman still built their stuff stateside, instead of outsorcing labor to China. I haven't bought anything Craftsman since production started in China. But idk maybe the quality is still good? idk. i might try their ratchet open wrenches because I want a metric set to add convenience.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

15 minutes ago, terrytek said:

There were so many times where a thumbwheel ratched could have come in super handy, because with a normal ratchet you can only move it one click at a time. 

And I wished Craftsman still built their stuff stateside, instead of outsorcing labor to China. I haven't bought anything Craftsman since production started in China. But idk maybe the quality is still good? idk. i might try their ratchet open wrenches because I want a metric set to add convenience.

When Craftsman shipped their normal line to china, they started a new line "Craftsman Professional" which was still US made, but now I don't see them in their catalogue anymore. Shame. 

To be honest I dont know who to go to for good sockets (that arent Snap-on Prices) anymore, almost everything is made in china now. :( Proto is cheaper than Snap-On but not by a whole lot.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

When Craftsman shipped their normal line to china, they started a new line "Craftsman Professional" which was still US made, but now I don't see them in their catalogue anymore. Shame. 

To be honest I dont know who to go to for good sockets (that arent Snap-on Prices) anymore, almost everything is made in china now. :( Proto is cheaper than Snap-On but not by a whole lot.

I wanna look for Craftsman Pro but I don't think Sears would have them.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Craftsman pro has been junk for me too sadly... at least from what I’ve seen

we bought a 1/2in torque wrench from them and the ratcheting mechanism broke after only a few uses

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Craftsman pro has been junk for me too sadly... at least from what I’ve seen

we bought a 1/2in torque wrench from them and the ratcheting mechanism broke after only a few uses

Sad to hear. I never bought any craftsman pro stuff so I was just kinda hoping it was decent.

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Sad to hear. I never bought any craftsman pro stuff so I was just kinda hoping it was decent.

We have old craftsman stuff from Matt’s grandpa (who sadly passed away several years ago) that works great but yeah that’s about it

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 11/14/2017 at 10:18 PM, iDeFecZx said:

This is the mighty NFS engine I have powering it atm

IMG_3263.JPG

Not a 2JZ, but still, nice :P Was thinking 'bout insurance at a young age in the UK for an enthusiast like you or me, if I were to just go for something that no 19 year old would drive, I'm in the clear. No way a 19 year old would drive a Volvo, so a C30 T5 is totally realistic, right? :P lol, pretty cool car

sooo ... my day is exciting :D 

(pc upgrade time)

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

sooo ... my day is exciting :D 

(pc upgrade time)

Your build is great already, lol just gimme the money for the parts and let me upgrade xD

48 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

We have old craftsman stuff from Matt’s grandpa (who sadly passed away several years ago) that works great but yeah that’s about it

The majority of my sockets and wrenches are all ~20 year old USA made craftsman and have been great, unfortunately they've gone way downhill in that time period. 

@vinyldash303

SK is good, but about the price of Proto (also US made) with a bit less refinement in my experience. 

23 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Your build is great already, lol just gimme the money for the parts and let me upgrade xD

well i did just install the 1080 ... so ... no, i need a better cpu cooler :P 

or a better cooling solution in general

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, Mister2010 said:

well i did just install the 1080 ... so ... no, i need a better cpu cooler :P 

Ah, nice! Can personally vouch for Cryorig, fitting the cooler wasn't too hard after I finally admitted to using the instruction manual. You going liquid?

1 minute ago, RatedBlam said:

Hmm, we now have some discord thing?

Yup

https://discord.gg/8nzP8w

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

Hmm, we now have some discord thing?

U wot . 

Meanwhile in the diesel world : 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Just now, IAR117 said:

Ah, nice! Can personally vouch for Cryorig, fitting the cooler wasn't too hard after I finally admitted to using the instruction manual. You going liquid?

Noctua NH-D15 .... nuff said ... 

maybe going liquid with next pc ... when that will happen xD 

57 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Not a 2JZ, but still, nice :P Was thinking 'bout insurance at a young age in the UK for an enthusiast like you or me, if I were to just go for something that no 19 year old would drive, I'm in the clear. No way a 19 year old would drive a Volvo, so a C30 T5 is totally realistic, right? :P lol, pretty cool car

Meh depends, im looking at these currently once I turn 20 (2 years driving)

Can't think of much else to add to the list

bf32ad7ee83e99df4e75b68090026adf.png

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I saw a GTR R35 driving around in my school's parking structure. I wouldn't drive it in there. It's tight with a lot of a-hole students who think they can drive. Actually saw a student being pulled over by a cop on my way there. Smh. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, IAR117 said:

No way a 19 year old would drive a Volvo, so a C30 T5 is totally realistic, right? :P lol, pretty cool car

The C30's are epic but dunno what It is about them as they run the exact same engine as the ST225 but guys back home with identical mods just never got the same power, the Volvo even with the same software always just underperformed. 

52 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I've owned a few of those: 

ST225 - Currently own and honestly love it, such a unique engine and so many mods available. really happy with it.

ST150 - Owned as a track car, took it up to ST210 so much Cosworth goodness installed. it'll never touch the new Fiesta and not worth it doing a turbo conversion as the gearbox is a weak point at high power, but around the track, a high revving NA was such great fun. 

M3 MPS - Loved the outside, hated the inside and way to much power to push through such a simple front end, oh straight line its fast but on a track pretty useless.

Corsa VXR - really liked the look of this car, great seats as well, seen a few tune up some big power out of them. 

A car I would suggest is the Alfa MiTo QV - Don't knock the badge that 1.4T engine is a real gem and car is fantastic, the same chassis as the VXR and you do a turbo swap with the scooby stock VF and you sitting at 240bhp on a stock engine. Really a great little ripper of a car. 

Never owned a Clio, but know they are supposed to be amazing on the track, considered a far better car then the ST150. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

That is exactly what I'd put on my list :D Minus maybe the Corsa as it comes with a title of being a bit chavvy (does anyone even unironically use that word anymore?) Nice choice of Cooper S by the way, I agree with it. I personally think the R26 is gonna be too hardcore as a daily, but all Clio's should be ok. Few suggestions-

- Peugout 306 GTi-6

- Citroën DS3 THP, can be chipped to make as much WHP as the DS3 Racing

- Toyota Corolla T-Sport Compressor

- MK2 Audi S3

- Smart ForFour Brabus

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

The C30's are epic but dunno what It is about them as they run the exact same engine as the ST225 but guys back home with identical mods just never got the same power, the Volvo even with the same software always just underperformed. 

I've owned a few of those: 

ST225 - Currently own and honestly love it, such a unique engine and so many mods available. really happy with it.

ST150 - Owned as a track car, took it up to ST210 so much Cosworth goodness installed. it'll never touch the new Fiesta and not worth it doing a turbo conversion as the gearbox is a weak point at high power, but around the track, a high revving NA was such great fun. 

M3 MPS - Loved the outside, hated the inside and way to much power to push through such a simple front end, oh straight line its fast but on a track pretty useless.

Corsa VXR - really liked the look of this car, great seats as well, seen a few tune up some big power out of them. 

A car I would suggest is the Alfa MiTo QV - Don't knock the badge that 1.4T engine is a real gem and car is fantastic, the same chassis as the VXR and you do a turbo swap with the scooby stock VF and you sitting at 240bhp on a stock engine. Really a great little ripper of a car. 

Never owned a Clio, but know they are supposed to be amazing on the track, considered a far better car then the ST150. 

You're literally the first person in the universe to openly show positive emotion towards the Mto QV lol. Is it that good? I've always the loved the Italian flair of it and looks

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

its like ford made the volvo worse so people buy the focus.... 

2 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

I'm not really looking for straight line performance, just good handling and a good engine note. Both of which the T5 have. Besides parts for the engine shouldn't be too hard to find as it shares it's engine with many other cars

28 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

its like ford made the volvo worse so people buy the focus.... 

Do I sense a conspiracy? :P