Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

it should have bypass flaps, and with the press of a button, it should switch between purring kitten in town to savage beast on demand.

I'm sure someone has thought of that before and usually the financial dept says no

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

yeah we have to remember that most people aren't car people and just want a quiet car. 

as to why they put a V8 in the M56? well it has to appeal to the car people too. It has multiple jobs. Can't win everyone.

I dont have an m56, ive got a q70 with the 5.6 from the m56. So its new brother? 

I couldnt find a clip of the q70 with stock exhaust, so i used an older one with the same engine. 

Now I need an intake, and a good set of coil overs. Then im done. 

@terrytek Maybe a Corvette, or sports car. I just have a luxury sedan with an identity crisis. RWD,420hp(factory rated) 10 speaker Bose, and heated and cooled seats. Go figure.

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

man, i wish the van had longer transmission gears, or at least more gears. fuel economy sucks, even on such a small v6, because the gears are so short, even though it's got 4, so the engine is spinning too fast when driving on the freeway. at 70mph, the engine turns at nearly 4k rpm. that's a reason why fuel economy sucks.

Shorter gears tend to be used for responsiveness. In a 4 speed, it would be difficult to have both the responsiveness, and a decent overdrive gear without large gear ratio differences. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Shorter gears tend to be used for responsiveness. In a 4 speed, it would be difficult to have both the responsiveness, and a decent overdrive gear without large gear ratio differences. 

i mean my 2010 corolla still has a 4 speed auto (4 speed.....in 2010..... toyota wyd....) but it does get up to speed quite well, and it has a decent overdrive gear. i don't see why my van needs to be responsive. if anything, it's the complete opposite.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'd rather own a Nissan over a Toyota myself

Been in both, I strongly dislike (infer that) basically everything Nissan does with their vehicles.

9 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

NEW DIECASTS?

YEEHAW.

@MEC-777 Two Karmann Ghias, a Hakosuka skyline, and a 935.

Hakosuka.... *Drool*

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

11 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Why the hell not get some opinions on my favourite forums eh? (and since there's a thread dedicated to Car enthusiasts) 

So basically in 6~ months time, I'll be getting my driver's licence and I would have roughly £1-2K to spend on a car. (I don't want to use my parent's car cause it's a merc saloon and well, I don't think that's a great first car eh?)

Obviously the car I'm probably gonna buy isn't finalised as there could be something that pops up later on but what do you guys think of this list of possible contenders? 

Mazda RX8

Mitsubish FTO (if I can find one)

Toyota MR2

You maybe thinking "hey, where's the typical hatchbacks first drivers get?" and my answer would be "the hatchbacks I like are ermmmm...a tad expensive/out of budget (like £10k+ out)".

Yes they are all Japanese cars but you know..I've got a soft spot for Japanese sports cars...which is why my favourite car is a Evo 7, 8, 9, X/10 :P (and blame Jackie chan and tokyo drift for it) and I personally find cars like the ford focus not very nice cars...

To be fair, any recommendations are welcome and I may end up getting a more sensible car when the day comes :) (in 6 months time and yes, I'll definitely be buying one as it would be my transport to le airfield...I'm an aviation guy, not cars...sorry :/)

Unless you're 30, you wont be getting a car anything like that as your first. Look up the insurance prices as a new driver and youll see why

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

So yesterday was productive. Quite a few parts came and decided to get them all on the car in 1 day (my friend owns a garage so I could use the back side of it with a ramp all to myself for the day and all he wanted was a pint of cider in return :D )

First, I noticed my rear pads were getting low and the front discs had a reasonable lip already, meaning they wouldn't have lasted more than 10-15k. 

qs0PAGul.jpg

So the best thing to do is to ruin my bank account and refresh every brake component right? :D 

VJHDzeFl.jpg

I do plan on getting the calipers re-built and powder coated too but that will be at a later stage as I need the car at the moment and can't have it off the road for long.

JEDwvivl.jpg

eT5ydPwl.jpg

All the shiny stuff on, brakes are now bled and while at it clutch line was changed too.

2Ct0OaAl.jpg

Next up came my new shiny exhaust tips, these are "Euro Style" which basically means a bit bigger in diameter and look just slightly different. My original ones looked fine to be honest the only real issue was that they couldn't polish up well as the chrome had started to fall off (it's an 11 year old car so it's expected).

25bRsNYl.jpg

Old tips off:

asb5C3Nl.jpg

1 new tip on for comparison purposes:

jG2ZCeEl.jpg

jRbAB7xl.jpg

And all on:

EIth0UQl.jpg

Next up came my carbon diffuser which I got half painted to match as the entire thing in carbon looks a bit odd against the car. It is a CSL style one and definitely not original (they cost £600+...). However i am impressed by the carbon weave on this, it is not bad at all for £200 delivered.

SHjpaPzl.jpg

PLav4hyl.jpg

So that went on as well as my new pressed metal number plates:

JWNQ46Ml.jpg

Engine bay cleaning and detail next as well as some stuff I have planned for the front end. (hint, moar carbon!!! :D)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

1 hour ago, iiNNeX said:

So yesterday was productive. Quite a few parts came and decided to get them all on the car in 1 day (my friend owns a garage so I could use the back side of it with a ramp all to myself for the day and all he wanted was a pint of cider in return :D )

First, I noticed my rear pads were getting low and the front discs had a reasonable lip already, meaning they wouldn't have lasted more than 10-15k. 

So the best thing to do is to ruin my bank account and refresh every brake component right? :D 

I do plan on getting the calipers re-built and powder coated too but that will be at a later stage as I need the car at the moment and can't have it off the road for long.

All the shiny stuff on, brakes are now bled and while at it clutch line was changed too.

Next up came my new shiny exhaust tips, these are "Euro Style" which basically means a bit bigger in diameter and look just slightly different. My original ones looked fine to be honest the only real issue was that they couldn't polish up well as the chrome had started to fall off (it's an 11 year old car so it's expected).

Old tips off:

1 new tip on for comparison purposes:

And all on:

Next up came my carbon diffuser which I got half painted to match as the entire thing in carbon looks a bit odd against the car. It is a CSL style one and definitely not original (they cost £600+...). However i am impressed by the carbon weave on this, it is not bad at all for £200 delivered.

So that went on as well as my new pressed metal number plates:

Engine bay cleaning and detail next as well as some stuff I have planned for the front end. (hint, moar carbon!!! :D)

I need that M3

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I need that M3

It's a fun car, has aged really well and gets more looks and comments than new shape BMWs... Which was surprising.

Not the cheapest to maintain but if you look after it, it will look after you :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Don't know if this was posted so

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

all i can say is ... WTF? xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

8 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Been in both, I strongly dislike (infer that) basically everything Nissan does with their vehicles.

really they used to have some fun cars (they still do, they're just stupid expensive now), but now they' just make a lot of soggy bread cars.

1 hour ago, iiNNeX said:

It's a fun car, has aged really well and gets more looks and comments than new shape BMWs... Which was surprising.

Not the cheapest to maintain but if you look after it, it will look after you :)

well it's not so surprising because a lot of gearheads will say the newer bmws look like trash compared to something like an e46 m3 or an e39 m5.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, iiNNeX said:

The E46 is my favourite BMW, closely followed by the E60 M5. Need one in my life some day, hopefully by the time im 25 and prices havent gone through the roof xD

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

The E46 is my favourite BMW, closely followed by the E60 M5. Need one in my life some day, hopefully by the time im 25 and prices havent gone through the roof xD

the E46 is my favorite too. :) 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

really they used to have some fun cars (they still do, they're just stupid expensive now), but now they' just make a lot of soggy bread cars.

My problem is they create "solutions" to problems that didn't exist.

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

i think pretty soon they will go through the roof. low mileage examples in good condition over here are being sold for north of 30 grand already. same with the e39 m5, though ones with 100k miles or more are still pretty cheap.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

My problem is they create "solutions" to problems that didn't exist.

care to explain? i don't know if i've really seen that happen with nissan.

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Ok, I watched this last night as soon as it popped up in my notifications. There are a few things that need to be said about their testing/methodology, and yeah, I'm going to ramble on about turbos vs SC again for a couple minutes, but please bear with me here. ;) (Spoiler alert - if you haven't watched it, go watch it first,then read below).

The autocross test:

I'm glad Moog mentioned it and caught on during the longer autocross test, because he was exactly right; they were learning the track with each pass and because the cars are so similarly setup, the time variance was well within the margin or error - for both the short and long track tests. I would have called the results from both inconclusive or a draw.  

The roll on test:

Several things I took issue with here...

-For the love of god, "turbo lag" is NOT the time it takes for the turbo to make boost from basically off-idle or OUTSIDE the efficiency range of the turbo. Turbo lag is the time it takes for the turbo to make boost while operating the engine WITHIN the efficiency range of the turbo. So in this case, from anything above about 3000rpm. This does showcase the one area where the SC shines, but honestly, in 99% of any form of racing, you're not needing to floor it down around 2000rpm anyways. ;) 

-Flooring the engine to WOT at very low rpm in a turbo car or NA car is not the best way to get the best acceleration. The intake air velocity basically stalls for a moment, causing the engine to bog. If you more gently open the throttle, you keep the intake velocity up, allowing the rpm to climb along with it and minimize the bogging. It's also a great way to induce LSPI, which we've talked about before a few times.

Turbo flutter:

Yeah, they've got some compressor surge going on with that setup. They either need a softer spring in the BOV, a larger BOV or  something else isn't quite right. I was a little surprised to hear it, considering how knowledgeable these guys are and the fact that they made a video specifically about this bad phenomenon. This also doesn't help re-building boost during quick-shifts. 

How I would have tested these two cars:

-To start off, I would have fixed that turbo flutter right away. It's not good, will harm the turbo in the long run and hinders performance during quick-shifts.

-I would test on an autocross course, both technical (lower speed) and more open (higher speed), as they did, only I would test in the DRY to reduce time variance issues due to low grip. I would also test each car across at least 5 runs with each driver, reducing the factor of "learning the track". This, I think, would give both cars a much more equal opportunity. Though I think they would be very close, regardless. Where the SC car has that instant power, the turbo car makes up for it in more overall power, once it comes on. 

-I would also test on a road course race track as well as driving on the street (though they said they will test that later on).

-Roll on tests should be with both cars above at least 3000rpm. Flooring it from below that isn't really a practical test, IMO as that is a very unusual situation. You shouldn't be lugging the engine at low rpm anyways, whether it's turbo or SC. 

Other quick thoughts: Funny how at the end, they both preferred the turbo car. ;) It feels (and sounds) more exciting and I think that's what it basically boils down to. Dat surging wave of torque. :D I also agree with their observations that the SC would be better for a beginner, just learning to race, as the power is more controllable. But later on, as you improve your skills and learn to tame the power, the turbo car you can get more performance out of, in the end. All in all, a decently fair assessment with a few minor issues, IMO.

Both cars look like a ton of fun to drive. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Nice, wonder what hes asking..... Those things will cost you an arm and a leg at a japanese auction.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Ok, I watched this last night as soon as it popped up in my notifications. There are a few things that need to be said about their testing/methodology, and yeah, I'm going to ramble on about turbos vs SC again for a couple minutes, but please bear with me here. ;) (Spoiler alert - if you haven't watched it, go watch it first,then read below).

Other quick thoughts: Funny how at the end, they both preferred the turbo car. ;)

Plus it's red, so that's like +20hp.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

19 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

About the turbo lag part tho, it's what everyone calls it, and the one area where the turbo setup stumbles. If you're at a red light and need to merge in 400 feet, you're gonna mat it at 2000 rpm to get in front of the guy to your right and it's not gonna make boost for a while. You're not gonna launch it off the light at 4500. 

And everyone calls it turbo lag, what else are you supposed to call it?

I know that's what everyone refers to as "turbo lag" but it's technically not the true definition, plain and simple. If you're outside the turbo's efficiency "island" it's not "lag", it's simply out of range. There is no term for that (that I know of), but it has always bothered me that people refer to it as "lag". 

If I'm at a red light and need to merge in 400ft, no, I'm not going to mat it at 2000rpm, because it will just bog. I'm also not going to "launch" the car at 4500rpm either. What I would so is; load up the engine at part throttle while letting out the clutch at around 2500-3000rpm to get the turbo spooling and once the boost comes on (which it should pretty darn quick) then I would floor it. No need to "launch" the car or make a dramatic take-off to get the power you need, quickly. ;) 

As long as turbos have been around, I think they are still somewhat misunderstood animals. They require just minor adjustments to your driving style to reap the benefits and virtually eliminate the drawbacks (mainly lag and lack of low-rpm boost). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Missed the pickup discussion. But i wouldn't go for a nissan or a toyota. (Except for a certain nissan d21 that i've mentioned repeatedly in here) 

If i was going for a modern pickup as a work truck i'd go for a Honda ridgeline

7055.jpg

IF IT HAD A FUCKING DIESEL OPTION.. damn you honda. damn you to hell!

This is neat enough for me to want it though

mzg31qxlpnujqje8jvt6.png

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"