Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

so i decided to clean the van today on the outside, and for once i did something different. since it's a bitch to clean it outside while preventing water spots, i took it inside the garage. nice having the entire garage to dry the van since my dad's corolla is gone and i have an entire garage to move around and dry. i just love the feeling of a nice clean car.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

jesus christ 560hp on an e39 m5 seems kinda maniacal. but i like it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Getting pretty decent with the manual transmission, but those damn surprise green lights. Getting into gear and going on a moments notice without stalling is still a challenge. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Guuuueeeeeessss what I gooooooot?

:D 

I like it. I used it to remove and reinstall a bolt right after I got it. I need to get some more time with it to truly evaluate it but it's possibly going to be the best thing sense sliced bread. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i feel like the only problem with those is that you probably wouldn't have enough leverage to break some bolts loose.

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

yeah i think the headers actually might be the most restrictive part of the exhaust. i mean look at the stock headers vs a set of stainless steel headers. i think i could get some extra gains from a new one.

what engine is that for?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

49 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Getting pretty decent with the manual transmission, but those damn surprise green lights. Getting into gear and going on a moments notice without stalling is still a challenge. 

My car is the hardest manual I've ever driven aside from cable clutches/racing clutches. Thats just because of the electronic throttle. Sometimes it wants to rev up to 3k with 1/4 inch movement of the pedal, other times it takes an inch to rev to 2k. 

These cars suffer from severe drivetrain slop from the motor mounts which makes it harder. I suggest swapping the rear motor mount to an e-focus mount when you get the chance. Its like a 50 dollar mount from Ford and you'll need a new bolt. 

Other than that, its just experience. I still get rough starts every once in a while, and the 1st to 2nd shift is annoying. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

My car is the hardest manual I've ever driven aside from cable clutches/racing clutches. Thats just because of the electronic throttle. Sometimes it wants to rev up to 3k with 1/4 inch movement of the pedal, other times it takes an inch to rev to 2k. 

These cars suffer from severe drivetrain slop from the motor mounts which makes it harder. I suggest swapping the rear motor mount to an e-focus mount when you get the chance. Its like a 50 dollar mount from Ford and you'll need a new bolt. 

Other than that, its just experience. I still get rough starts every once in a while, and the 1st to 2nd shift is annoying. 

Agreed on the last part. The ratio chasm from 1st to 2nd takes forever for the rpm to drop enough to engage. I eventually resorted to slipping the clutch a bit more to reach that rpm quicker before dropping it. 

My eyes see the past…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Agreed on the last part. The ratio chasm from 1st to 2nd takes forever for the rpm to drop enough to engage. I eventually resorted to slipping the clutch a bit more to reach that rpm quicker before dropping it. 

I used to do that, now I have the timing down and I just hold the clutch until the RPM to drop enough. If I'm accelerating quickly I just drop it quickly and if I time the gas right it won't get all back and forth jerky. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

40 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

what engine is that for?

39 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

his protege i think?

^^ looks nicer and i should be able to get some power gains while looking good.

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

jesus christ 560hp on an e39 m5 seems kinda maniacal. but i like it.

Damn. 160hp increase with a supercharger...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It's better to speak in terms of percentage. In this case it would be a gain of 40%. Which is massive.

Edit: Though, it sucks that he didn't do a dyno before and after...

28 minutes ago, vetali said:

I used to do that, now I have the timing down and I just hold the clutch until the RPM to drop enough. If I'm accelerating quickly I just drop it quickly and if I time the gas right it won't get all back and forth jerky. 

There a way to adjust the clutch pedal? The clutch engages very near the top of its travel. I would prefer closer to the center of its travel. 

My eyes see the past…

28 minutes ago, terrytek said:

^^ looks nicer and i should be able to get some power gains while looking good.

when generation? also it might just be perspective but those headers look tiny thats why i was curious 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well that supercharger kit I found for the s10 last night is about a 55% (right? I'm bad a mathing) increase which is insane :o 

Difference divided with the original = Amount gained.

With the M5 as an example.

160/400 = 0,4 = 40%

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There a way to adjust the clutch pedal? The clutch engages very near the top of its travel. I would prefer closer to the center of its travel. 

Not sure. You might have a clutch cable that you could adjust.

No idea how easy this would be though.

The clutches in cars can be vastly different from one another.

9 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

when generation? also it might just be perspective but those headers look tiny thats why i was curious 

it's the latest one, 2001-2003, with the 2.0l engine.

16 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

ik. i wish i could do that with mine, but funds, and of course, finding the right m5.

15 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

It's better to speak in terms of percentage. In this case it would be a gain of 40%. Which is massive.

it does suck he didn't do a dyno. i'd like to know how much power it lost over the years, and how much wheel hp it makes after supercharging. but i bet it's still a lot, since he does chirp tires in 2nd and a bit in 3rd.

14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Not in these cars. I prefer it at the top. Everytime I drive a car with it at the middle or bottom I can't stand it.

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Not in these cars. I prefer it at the top. Everytime I drive a car with it at the middle or bottom I can't stand it.

The worst I've driven was a friend's Corolla. That thing would engage as soon as you let off the clutch pedal, and the travel wasn't even two inches for it to fully engage.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

so in terms of rear wheel horsepower, 150 rear wheel horsepower factory, so I'd do 275 whp, minus 150 to get 125, then I take 125 and divide that by 150 right? that gives me an 83 percent increase. Right?

Ye.

33 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

He really should dyno it, he could probably get a little bit more with an ECU tune, I believe, I don't really know how that shizz works tho xD

30 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well that supercharger kit I found for the s10 last night is about a 55% (right? I'm bad a mathing) increase which is insane :o 

Actually 65% I think...

65%? Holy moly

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ik. i wish i could do that with mine, but funds, and of course, finding the right m5.

You'll eventually find one mate ;)

I'm also dreaming about getting a M5 E34 Touring and a 330i E46 Touring (or another six cylinder Touring E46 and swap a S65 on it, would be pretty sick), but funds, and of course, they pretty much don't exist here xD

14 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Updated figure that @GlassBomb helped me figure out. Its an 83% increase

Holy balls...

----------------------------------

This looks so clean... New wallpaper xD

tg2hnCL.jpg

Also, E46 goals http://www.autoevolution.com/news/clean-bmw-e46-330ci-has-more-than-one-ace-up-its-sleeve-photo-gallery-87075.html

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Right? I think I could hold off on getting a tahoe if it means I can have 83% more horses without needing a motor swap.

You definitely should rather get the supercharger. An engine swap would probably be more of a hassle, I don't know if such are legal in the US... But the supercharger kit would probably cost a little more as in the US (I really don't know, I'm from fokin Europe mate x) ), there are plenty of engine in the scrapyards waiting to be bought and brought to life again xD

40 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

so in terms of rear wheel horsepower, 150 rear wheel horsepower factory, so I'd do 275 whp, minus 150 to get 125, then I take 125 and divide that by 150 right? that gives me an 83 percent increase. Right?

I want the procharger kit for the Mustang that's an 80% power increase. Though it does show how anemic the 3.8 is, but the torque is alright.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I want the procharger kit for the Mustang that's an 80% power increase. Though it does show how anemic the 3.8 is, but the torque is alright.

tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You want to sponsor $5,000 on a kit? Not to mention I still have to tear down and clean the engine, and buy a new transmission just for the added power. :P