Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ordered these. Hype.

4347a53bc93b5d60db1f517620c9aa93.png

3e177cf33ebc5fc967e3b83816c109b4.png

what about the neochrome wrap?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Pretty cool cars at work today, didn't get a chance to get any photos since it was so busy. But I did drive a couple of 911s, a really nice (even though it was a base model) 2015 Mustang, some Camaros, Jaguar XJ, some other cars I can't bring to mind right now.

The only thing that sucks is that ALL of those cars were automatic. Why buy such an expensive car and then kill it by getting an automatic? Even the 911 Turbo S that I drove was a f*cking automatic. Pisses me off that people can't drive standard anymore.

some pics and vids from my track day yesterday

best lap was a 2:06.64.  so that puts me 0.65 seconds behind my best time on the RSX.  not bad for a car thats 10 mph slower on the front straight and shot synchros... although I never really had any track worthy brake pads on the RSX, I'm thinking with proper pads I'd be able to knock off another .25-.5ish seconds. 

Turns out the CSF radiator I bought was a waste of money... I never even got into the 200's at any point on track for coolant temp

did a couple highways pulls against my sister driving the RSX (which has a better tune now then when I was tracking it, about another 20-30whp) and I was really surprised, the Miata pulls on the RSX pretty easily in 3rd gear.  I get a full car length by the end of 3rd, and then the Miata is dead in 4th... it barely accelerates at all.  but the RSX has a higher VTEC cross over now since its a daily, so it starts the race on the small cam.  I'm thinking the results would be a lot closer if it started on the big cam.  might have to race again from a speed that puts it on the big cam and see how it goes.

9B62FA0A-6191-4527-AD5E-61A93E638A48_zps

CA49AD23-ADA1-4C54-B2D7-B9C21E69F47A_zps

This 458 was insane.  he was running on Hoosier R7's, the pace he carries is nuts!  I went on a ride along with him and honestly its have for me to even comprehend driving this fast.  he's not that far behind the cars in the pic above...  I'll post a vid a bit later when I figure out how to rotate snapchat pics in adobe premiere

E1567152-DAE6-4DE6-91CE-2CE55F42292F_zps

followed this Hyundai around for a lap, the body roll is pretty comical, haha.  if this is out here, whats your excuse for not going to the track?!?!?!!??!??!?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

13 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Pretty cool cars at work today, didn't get a chance to get any photos since it was so busy. But I did drive a couple of 911s, a really nice (even though it was a base model) 2015 Mustang, some Camaros, Jaguar XJ, some other cars I can't bring to mind right now.

The only thing that sucks is that ALL of those cars were automatic. Why buy such an expensive car and then kill it by getting an automatic? Even the 911 Turbo S that I drove was a f*cking automatic. Pisses me off that people can't drive standard anymore.

really automatics shouldn't have been invented. i mean sure, they're convenient, but now people are just taking advantage of them and now even teenagers like me, who used to think manuals are sporty, aren't anymore. i hate that. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You guys are beyond salty about automatics. For reals tho.

I hate automatics :^)

Yet, I'm not a car driver, I only drove an auto once and it was a Merc 190D...

-------------------------------------

Your thoughts on this? MG ZR 160

mg-zr-16.jpg

160bhp, yes it is FWD, yes it has a go fast spoiler, yes the engine might be unrealible, and yes that same engine was used in the Lotus Elise 111S (Series 2)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

16 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I understand that there is a place for automatics. But with me personally, then I just don't like not fully knowing what the car wants to do.

I like knowing that I can drag out a gear for however long I want, or if I want to short-shift, then I can do that.

And I can't properly engine brake with automatic gearboxes :c

18 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Every time I hop in a standard my face just lights up, they're a world of a difference from automatics, even if the car itself is just a shitty old truck or something. I drove an old Mazda B-Series mid size pickup and even that was way more fun than the Challengers and Mustangs and what not that were automatic.

Day to day I see automatics as a convenience, but I mean these people coming to get their weekend cars washed aren't even standards. And they only drive the car once a month... smh

here's the fly by vid.

note where the Ferrari is on the first clip, the next clip are the same cars on the next lap and you can see how close the Ferrari is.  I'd guess its somewhere in the 5-10 second range slower.  that nuts when compared to a real race car with real downforce

sorry for the crap video quality, saved the vids from my snapchat

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

34 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

some pics and vids from my track day yesterday

CA49AD23-ADA1-4C54-B2D7-B9C21E69F47A_zps

are those two Radicals?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

26 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't have anything against automatics when used for their purpose.  convinced or drag racing, although drag racing is already relatively boring, an auto makes it that much more boring...

I take issue when people try to sell auto's as fun or a real performance car feature... Like the 10spd auto in the new Camaro ZL1, they talk about all the fast up shifts but say nothing about throttle modulation, which is the real area where auto's fall behind.  but their solution to the problem is a really good traction control system, you just floor it and it does an amazing job putting down the power.  but I prefer to turn all nannies off and figure out how to put the power down for myself, even if it give me slower lap times.

6 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

are those two Radicals?

not exactly sure.  there are a bunch of companies that make cars of that style, and I didn't talk to any of the owners, so I'm not sure if its a Radical or something else...

11 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

are those two Radicals?

if I had to guess, I think its one of these, or some version of it

http://www.dauntlessracing.com/products/stohr-wf1

14 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

not exactly sure.  there are a bunch of companies that make cars of that style, and I didn't talk to any of the owners, so I'm not sure if its a Radical or something else...

the back does remind me of a radical of some sorts ... cant remember the exact one 

EDIT: Could be a Radical SR3 RS? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

27 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Every time I hop in a standard my face just lights up, they're a world of a difference from automatics, even if the car itself is just a shitty old truck or something. I drove an old Mazda B-Series mid size pickup and even that was way more fun than the Challengers and Mustangs and what not that were automatic.

Day to day I see automatics as a convenience, but I mean these people coming to get their weekend cars washed aren't even standards. And they only drive the car once a month... smh

16 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I don't have anything against automatics when used for their purpose.  convinced or drag racing, although drag racing is already relatively boring, an auto makes it that much more boring...

I take issue when people try to sell auto's as fun or a real performance car feature... Like the 10spd auto in the new Camaro ZL1, they talk about all the fast up shifts but say nothing about throttle modulation, which is the real area where auto's fall behind.  but their solution to the problem is a really good traction control system, you just floor it and it does an amazing job putting down the power.  but I prefer to turn all nannies off and figure out how to put the power down for myself, even if it give me slower lap times.

I understand both sides, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you need a manual to enjoy driving then you don't know how to enjoy driving in the first place. Manuals compliment it, but aren't necessary to enjoy driving.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I understand both sides, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you need a manual to enjoy driving then you don't know how to enjoy driving in the first place. Manuals compliment it, but aren't necessary to enjoy driving.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't need a manual, but I need a clutch... torque converters just don't have the throttle modulation...

not saying anything with an auto is boring, I can certainly have fun in an auto.  but I get frustrated a lot even daily driving my 328i, it just doesn't do what I want it to do a lot of the time.  but I can still be fun on a mountain road putting it into sport mode usually makes it choose the right gear...

This synopsis for this episode of cops could pass for a Top Gear intro

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276700/

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You can though. It's called tow/haul mode. And in a good one you'll know when it's gonna up shift and you'll know when it's gonna downshift. Yes sometimes you're gonna need to encourage it a little bit. And yes there are real shit ones. Looking at you minivans. And I'm now saying you in particular are doing this, but if you discount someone or a car because it's doesn't have a stick in it, you're a bigot. 

And i wouldn't want one in my daily because it is a chore. However I do know how to drive a stick and I do enjoy it, and I do think everyone should know how to drive stick, but the hate on automatics is just general bigotry and that's retarded. 

but it's sad when my friends absolutely hate manual cars, even if they have never driven one before. i think driving schools, especially in america, should offer manual cars for their students to learn how to drive stick. then, they at least know how to drive both transmissions, in case they end up driving a car that you have to row your own gears.

10 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I don't need a manual, but I need a clutch... torque converters just don't have the throttle modulation...

not saying anything with an auto is boring, I can certainly have fun in an auto.  but I get frustrated a lot even daily driving my 328i, it just doesn't do what I want it to do a lot of the time.  but I can still be fun on a mountain road putting it into sport mode usually makes it choose the right gear...

I can agree with you that an auto doesn't let you do something exactly how you want it but in most cases you guys are driving on streets. You aren't on a race track and almost none of you here are ever going to actually push your vehicles to their limits. To complain about someone having an automatic in their vehicle is stupid. They obviously enjoy driving it and have no qualms, yet so many people get butthurt every single day over the thought of any performance vehicle not having a stick. On the street, it really doesn't matter. Not one bit. You're either going at it in gear or you're not. Not trying to paint it black and white but my god, the complaints about this crap. Enjoy the car, not the transmission.

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You can though. It's called tow/haul mode. And in a good one you'll know when it's gonna up shift and you'll know when it's gonna downshift. Yes sometimes you're gonna need to encourage it a little bit. And yes there are real shit ones. Looking at you minivans. And I'm now saying you in particular are doing this, but if you discount someone or a car because it's doesn't have a stick in it, you're a bigot. 

And i wouldn't want one in my daily because it is a chore. However I do know how to drive a stick and I do enjoy it, and I do think everyone should know how to drive stick, but the hate on automatics is just general bigotry and that's retarded. 

Driving in tow/haul mode is so much fun. I need to do that more often but gas mileage be damned, turbos fucking suck for that.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

but it's sad when my friends absolutely hate manual cars

Yeah and you absolutely hate automatics so what's the difference?

Hate on manufacturers for not providing an option to get the appropriate number of pedals all you want!  There's nothing wrong with it.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

The automatic my father has only has the normal PRND/S, and then the Manual. But it will still only coast down hills, even if you are in manual-mode in a lower gear. My father even went "Hey, look how good the engine braking is on this car!" as we were going down a steep hill with the cruise control on. When the car was clearly applying brakes to slow down.

I've driven his Audi enough to learn what it wants to do, and when it wants to do it. However, this doesn't change the fact that it won't let me bang the red-line, whilst in "manual" on the darn thing. Upshifting if revs goes too high, downshifting if revs are too low for its liking.

I can coast around in my car doing 25 mph, in first, fifth, or any of the gears in-between.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

but it's sad when my friends absolutely hate manual cars, even if they have never driven one before. i think driving schools, especially in america, should offer manual cars for their students to learn how to drive stick. then, they at least know how to drive both transmissions, in case they end up driving a car that you have to row your own gears.

for the driving school i went to here (Latvia) there was only 1 option for automatic ... around 20 for manual  and i have heard simmilar stories about few more drivign schools around here 

3 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Hate on manufacturers for not providing an option to get the appropriate number of pedals all you want!  There's nothing wrong with it.

i agree ... drive what you want or what you like or need ... and dont hate on other people .... and most importantly dont force the other gearbox if they dont want it  ...

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

26 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I can agree with you that an auto doesn't let you do something exactly how you want it but in most cases you guys are driving on streets. You aren't on a race track and almost none of you here are ever going to actually push your vehicles to their limits. To complain about someone having an automatic in their vehicle is stupid. They obviously enjoy driving it and have no qualms, yet so many people get butthurt every single day over the thought of any performance vehicle not having a stick. On the street, it really doesn't matter. Not one bit. You're either going at it in gear or you're not. Not trying to paint it black and white but my god, the complaints about this crap. Enjoy the car, not the transmission.

Driving in tow/haul mode is so much fun. I need to do that more often but gas mileage be damned, turbos fucking suck for that.

Yeah and you absolutely hate automatics so what's the difference?

haha, I'll admit I get annoyed when I see a sports car and its an auto...