Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

18 minutes ago, vetali said:

Having to buy your own tools is pretty standard in the trade aside from really expensive stuff like scanners and scopes. I get paid, not a lot, but neither does anyone else in the trade. 

I'm in a bad spot right now because we can't hire anyone else, and I'm not gonna quit until my boss at least has a replacement for my old co worker. I want to work for Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, or BMW. I'd have to move to work at any of those dealers.

Unrelated, I just realized that a lot of people here have Mazdas. lol. 

Are you related to this owner person?  If not, perhaps give these a listen.

Spoiler

Only substitute successful individuals instead of business owners.  For all you know this business owner has some idea you want to leave but won't unless you feel he is in a safe place with someone to replace you so he is intentionally not finding that person.

Perhaps the only way to get yourself in a better place is to think about yourself first and not try to straddle a middle ground that leaves you unfulfilled.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Hide contents

Only substitute successful individuals instead of business owners.  For all you know this business owner has some idea you want to leave but won't unless you feel he is in a safe place with someone to replace you so he is intentionally not finding that person.

Perhaps the only way to get yourself in a better place is to think about yourself first and not try to straddle a middle ground that leaves you unfulfilled.

good ol' Luis. :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

>:(>:( this really pisses me off. so there is a p51 mustang "stunt plane" thats named ole yeller legendary within the old warbird community. 

130-b-1280.jpg

anyways ford decided to honor the plane and the pilot by make a tribute out of a ford mustang and they came up with this

nim0tprougafnh87wlfm.jpg

personally i think its horrid. and it ticks me off that they have such a good design team and they come up with this

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

Idk man, I think to making a living, you shouldn't have to worry about your boss... It's his business to run and its your life to live. If you have an opportunity for a job that you'll enjoy more and/or get paid better, I say go for it, let your boss worry about his own business

I don't have that opportunity and I'm not financially strapped right now. I'll be moving closer to better opportunities in September/October. 

52 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Hide contents

Some reason I knew those were his videos, I watch a lot of Louis. Hes an interesting person with insightful things, however I'm not alive to copy somebody elses mindset. Ultimately working on cars all my life isn't something I want to do. Its just a stepping stone to the right opportunity. Lots of people in the trade move on to bigger and better things.... or to being a tool salesman lol. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

22 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

>:(>:( this really pisses me off. so there is a p51 mustang "stunt plane" thats named ole yeller legendary within the old warbird community. 

anyways ford decided to honor the plane and the pilot by make a tribute out of a ford mustang and they came up with this

personally i think its horrid. and it ticks me off that they have such a good design team and they come up with this

Who the fuck did they get to design that. Jesus it's ugly.

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

What kinda shady place do you work at? Buy your own tools, no AC or insulation, do you even get paid??? Or do you pay them to work? Haha

How bad does it drag? If the wheel is in the air, can you turn it by hand?

funny thing is I'm having the exact opposite problem, I was getting really bad pad knock back at the track today after almost every corner with my Wilwoods...  I finally have brakes that actually work and then I have to deal with this bs... Doesn't exactly inspire confidence

It dragged bad enough for me to have to hold

the wheel at a very slight angle to go straight. Funny thing is after I messed with the fronts today I had to hold it at a slight right instead of a slight left. Lol

i didn't mess with the backs though, I can spin the wheels it just made a screeching noise. I think I fixed it good enough though up front(I could spin the wheels pretty freely and I noticed I lost speed slower), the backs might be dragging a little too. Didn't mess with them because I noticed it's not as simple as a little bolt to take off the caliper and also the rear brakes are worn like crazy so I'll just change them and put it all back right when I change them. That will probably do it. 

I didn't even know you could have the opposite problem? I never heard of that. What does it do exactly? Increases brake travel each time you let off? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Having to buy your own tools is pretty standard in the trade aside from really expensive stuff like scanners and scopes. I get paid, not a lot, but neither does anyone else in the trade. 

I'm in a bad spot right now because we can't hire anyone else, and I'm not gonna quit until my boss at least has a replacement for my old co worker. I want to work for Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, or BMW. I'd have to move to work at any of those dealers.

Unrelated, I just realized that a lot of people here have Mazdas. lol. 

Mazda's happen to be good cars that everyone suddenly wants I guess lol

really I can't see myself buying any other Mazda other than a Miata though... The new 3's are nice however. Very pretty cars for the price. 

I respect you for not letting your boss down (like seriously, especially with that new guy) but I'd maybe set a date that you will leave and stick to it. Talk to your boss about it. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Only new car I particularly like at the moment is the Mazda Miata RF.  Although the interior isn't all that great.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

really I can't see myself buying any other Mazda other than a Miata though... The new 3's are nice though. Very pretty cars for the price. 

I respect you for not letting your boss down (like seriously, especially with that new guy) but I'd maybe set a date that you will leave and stick to it. Talk to your boss about it. 

I finished that cruiser today. I was going about 25 and did a WOT pull...It downshifted, then once to boost kicked in it wanted to blow the front tires off. Well probably one tire because I doubt those things have a LSD. That thing is surprisingly quick though. Next car will definitely be turbo lol. 

We fired that guy today. Didn't line up a wheel cylinder push rod right on a 64 Mustang in the front. Luckily my boss checked it. This was after he admitted to lying about his schooling on his resume. Personally I would of fired him at that point. Can't have a liability like that. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It dragged bad enough for me to have to hold

the wheel at a very slight angle to go straight. Funny thing is after I messed with the fronts today I had to hold it at a slight right instead of a slight left. Lol

i didn't mess with the backs though, I can spin the wheels it just made a screeching noise. I think I fixed it good enough though up front(I could spin the wheels pretty freely and I noticed I lost speed slower), the backs might be dragging a little too. Didn't mess with them because I noticed it's not as simple as a little bolt to take off the caliper and also the rear brakes are worn like crazy so I'll just change them and put it all back right when I change them. That will probably do it. 

I didn't even know you could have the opposite problem? I never heard of that. What does it do exactly? Increases brake travel each time you let off? 

I don't wanna write out the explanation, here's a stoptech article on it

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/pad-knockback

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

really I can't see myself buying any other Mazda other than a Miata though... The new 3's are nice however. Very pretty cars for the price. 

really? not even a 2002/2003 mazda protege es? and i would only recommend the es trim, the lx and dx trims are garbage.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

welp, today the corolla got hit with the airbag recall notice. :// that was unexpected. i thought my car would fly below the radar and be safe from this recall. guess not. now i gotta wait for the second notification telling me a solution is available.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

welp, today the corolla got hit with the airbag recall notice. :// that was unexpected. i thought my car would fly below the radar and be safe from this recall. guess not. now i gotta wait for the second notification telling me a solution is available.

Even more recalls roll out today or something? My car has been narrowly dodging each wave of recalls and its been making me increasingly nervous they're loaded with nails like the rest of them. 

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Even more recalls roll out today or something? My car has been narrowly dodging each wave of recalls and its been making me increasingly nervous they're loaded with nails like the rest of them. 

i think it's involved in the giant takata airbag recall that's been on the news a few times because of metal particles flying when they deploy. but i'm just hoping my corolla doesn't end up in a car crash any time soon. bc i plan on taking this car on a roadtrip next week and who knows when the fix will be available.

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

No it's fine, the nails help you stay in your seat when the airbag deploys. :P

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i think it's involved in the giant takata airbag recall that's been on the news a few times because of metal particles flying when they deploy. but i'm just hoping my corolla doesn't end up in a car crash any time soon. bc i plan on taking this car on a roadtrip next week and who knows when the fix will be available.

Unplugging the airbag is an option. 

But the option of waiting is probably less of a gamble. No way to know.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Unplugging the airbag is an option. 

But the option of waiting is probably less of a gamble. No way to know.

i guess i'll wait till the fix arrives. i thought my car would avoid this recall; guess not.

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

In a place that has 80%+ humidity daily and how those airbags degrade faster when exposed to humidity I'm very cautious to watch the recalls. Have been lucky so far though. 

Im still nervous that our cars have takata airbags though and they just haven't been recalled yet. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i guess i'll wait till the fix arrives. i thought my car would avoid this recall; guess not.

At least you live in California where it's dry. If you lived here I think you would be better off taking the airbag out. 

But run A/C if you have it when you drive and you suspect you may have a takata airbag. Will help keep the humidity down in the cockpit a little.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

At least you live in California where it's dry. If you lived here I think you would be better off taking the airbag out. 

But run A/C if you have it when you drive and you suspect you may have a takata airbag. Will help keep the humidity down in the cockpit a little.

yeah we run ac in the cars a lot since windows usually don't help as much in keeping the car cool. so we're kinda a step ahead already.

55 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I don't wanna write out the explanation, here's a stoptech article on it

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/pad-knockback

ah I get it. Wow I never heard nor experienced that. I can see that being pretty scary in some situations especially on a racetrack. So you got good brakes and now this is happening? hmm.. how much for a bigger master cylinder?

On a side note, have you tried the delrin door bushings? Supposedly they do a great deal for what they are. But they are also overpriced (imo) for what they are. Wanted to see if anyone I knew tried them.

Spoiler

Mazda service manual says "replace rear brake pads if lining thickness is less than 1mm"

That's sooo tiny O.o I think I have more than a mm left lol

Spoiler

@bcredeur97 so why did you say you wouldn't drive any other mazda other than your miata on the last page?

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

@bcredeur97 so why did you say you wouldn't drive any other mazda other than your miata on the last page?

I didn't say I wouldn't drive anything else. I just don't see myself buying any other mazda really. 

At this point now that I have a miata, I will keep this thing for a long time. I have not a single clue what I would buy next and when that time comes ill probably have a career and a decent income so I don't really care lol

Spoiler