Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all 2JZs are turboed at all.

what do you mean? the Gs/SC300s come with the 2jz-ge, which is non-turbo. the only 2jz car (so 2jz-gte) that comes with a turbo stock is the TT supra I believe.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Well, I won't be attaching the swaybar today because the mounts are actually broken. :(

On another note, I opened the oil filler cap and found this. 6ddfbe0e2708f9599ca2b96a5b97c2c3.jpg

Is that normal? Indicative of BHG? What do I do?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Was there coolant getting in the oil?

not that I know of. it was just the transmission fluid that coolant was getting into.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Hm. My vote is clean it and see if it comes back.

yup. about all I can do at this point. i really hope it isn't a head gasket. it's cold out, and I don't feel like tearing an engine apart, nor do I wanna pay someone $2500 to do it.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Well, I won't be attaching the swaybar today because the mounts are actually broken. :(

On another note, I opened the oil filler cap and found this.

-snip-

Yeah definetly clean and see if it comes back... but yes that is a dead giveaway for a bad head gasket :(

Gosh I'm dreading the day that happens to me. I hate paying the terrible mechanics around here. And I wouldn't mind doing a head gasket if it wasn't for my car's stupid timing chain that I just don't want to mess with lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On another note, I opened the oil filler cap and found this. 6ddfbe0e2708f9599ca2b96a5b97c2c3.jpg

This could be an indication of a BHG or it could be an indication of moisture getting in the engine - which could indicate a problem with the PCV system. Do you do a lot of short trips where the engine is not allowed to get fully up to temperature? What does the oil in the engine look like? (check the dip stick). Any excessive or white smoke out the exhaust? Check the coolant in the rad and reservoir. What does it look like? Cloudy? Oil droplets at the surface?

not that I know of. it was just the transmission fluid that coolant was getting into.

Don't see how this is possible. There are no water passages for the coolant to leak from and get into the transmission - unless the car has a transmission cooler where transmission lines run in and out of the rad to cool the fluid?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yeah definetly clean and see if it comes back... but yes that is a dead giveaway for a bad head gasket :(

Gosh I'm dreading the day that happens to me. I hate paying the terrible mechanics around here. And I wouldn't mind doing a head gasket if it wasn't for my car's stupid timing chain that I just don't want to mess with lol

yeah. it wouldn't be as bad with an inline 4, but with a V8, you have 2x as much gasket, and 2x as much head to remove. ;/

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

This could be an indication of a BHG or it could be an indication of moisture getting in the engine - which could indicate a problem with the PCV system. Do you do a lot of short trips where the engine is not allowed to get fully up to temperature? What does the oil in the engine look like? (check the dip stick). Any excessive or white smoke out the exhaust? Check the coolant in the rad and reservoir. What does it look like? Cloudy? Oil droplets at the surface?

Don't see how this is possible. There are no water passages for the coolant to leak from and get into the transmission - unless the car has a transmission cooler where transmission lines run in and out of the rad to cool the fluid?

this happened about a month ago. basically, the radiator sprung a leak, and since it doubles as a tranny cooler, the 2 fluids mixed, causing coolant to get into the tranny, and atf to get into the coolant. we got that issue solved, and with a tranny flush and coolant flush it has been going good. There is still a little sludge in the block that I have been wiping out of the rad every couple days.

generally the engine will get up to temperature wherever I drive, although I have made a couple trips lately where that isn't the case. oil in dipstick looks perfectly normal. the coolant in the reservoir looks normal, and the coolant in the radiator looks mostly normal, with a little pink sludge left over from the radiator issue. there is a clear difference between the whitish brown foam on the oil cap to the pink stuff that I have been cleaning out slowly but surely in the cooling system.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

what happened?

that sucks... :(

Dead cylinder?

The fucking boot is bent. Car idles on 5 cylinders, sometimes 6. Rattles pretty bad. Seems like when my dad changed the spark plugs he fucked it up ramming the thing back on. I'd assume I know why because it was a bitch dealing with that thing having a fuel rail and A/C line in the way.

By the way, I think the fuel rail uses a glass based thermal wrap which I'm allergic to. Arm and my tongue have rashes from it.

Speaking of, can I just ram a screw driver down the boot and straighten that thing out?

Stock size is 185/65R14. I want no rub. Biggest size I have confirmed so far is 195 wide... But if I could fit a 205 (doubtful) or even a 215 (highly doubtful) in there that would be amazing..

just fyi, you'd get more grip going to an extreme performance tire in 195 wide then stepping up to a 205 or 215 with the DZ102

also, try looking for miata wheels, hit up some forums, they're the right bolt pattern...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

hmm. the Supra MKII is slow. what are the cheapest mods I'd be able to do to increase horsepower? will CAI/headers do a whole lot, or is a turbo the best option?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

hmm. the Supra MKII is slow. what are the cheapest mods I'd be able to do to increase horsepower? will CAI/headers do a whole lot, or is a turbo the best option?

Flames, answer is always flames.

Well. With a car that is at least 29 years old the main thing to do is to make sure that the engine isn't worn to shit. 

Good service, Compression test. etc 

Then intake and exhaust is a fairly ok place to start. 

Cheap power is subjective.

Having a machine shop go over the head maybe?

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2jz swap. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Von Damm's law

In the event of an internet discussion pertaining to a planned or theoretical engine swap there will inevitably be a mention of a Toyota JZ engine variant. 

There. Now it is an internet adage such as goodwin's law or rule 34

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Glad we've got that on the record.

Moving on.

I wonder what more you could do with similar things.

Like the 99.9 percent chance that you'll bash your hand on something unpleasant when a wrench slips or that if you've got any uncovered areas then a piece of hot metal spat from a weld will hit it.

Or how your eye always itches if your hands are covered in oil

Von Damm's law

In the event of an internet discussion pertaining to a planned or theoretical engine swap there will inevitably be a mention of a Toyota JZ engine variant. 

There. Now it is an internet adage such as goodwin's law or rule 34

What about an LS swap? ;) That's an equally deserving option.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I wonder what more you could do with similar things.

Like the 99.9 percent chance that you'll bash your hand on something unpleasant when a wrench slips or that if you've got any uncovered areas then a piece of hot metal spat from a weld will hit it.

Or how your eye always itches if your hands are covered in oil

That's pretty much Murphy's law isn't it ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

2jz swap. ;)

jeez. 2jz are actually pretty cheap. theres one on car-part with only 106k on it for $800.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

What about an LS swap? ;) That's an equally deserving option.

That could be an accompanying law. 

Can't have my name attached to two laws. That'd just be greedy

That's pretty much Murphy's law isn't it ?

Well that is (If i remember correctly) "What can go wrong will go wrong"

So slight differences

Well that is (If i remember correctly) "What can go wrong will go wrong"

So slight differences

Yep it is and I agree with you that it is a slight difference, but still. One could argue that something starting to itch as soon as you have hands like a coal worker is kinda on the verge of "What can go wrong will go wrong" 

Or I am just being a smart ass. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

That could be an accompanying law. 

Can't have my name attached to two laws. That'd just be greedy

Bam, fixed.

Von Damm's law

In the event of an internet discussion pertaining to a planned or theoretical engine swap there will inevitably be a mention of a Toyota JZ and/or Chevrolet LS engine variant.

Yep it is and I agree with you that it is a slight difference, but still. One could argue that something starting to itch as soon as you have hands like a coal worker is kinda on the verge of "What can go wrong will go wrong" 

Or I am just being a smart ass. :D

A bit of column A and a bit of column B

So yeah sure.

Bam, fixed.

Perfect.