Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 hours ago, IPD said:

CCP virus made it worse. 

donald-trump-trump-china.gif

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

You can use your rear fog light to have a similar, albeit more sublte effect.

This hasn't been a problem for me ever since i got my Audi which has auto-dimming rear view mirrors. That's one of these features i never knew i needed, kinda like ACC.

The auto dimming feature works on one of my mirrors on my touareg (the only thing wrong with the car is the right mirror electrics lol).

and I have to say I never owned a car with auto dimming mirrors and it’s AMAZING, so happy the drivers side one works 😂 even though it’ll prob break too one day, lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

lol? what?

Idk? Did someone say something? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The auto dimming feature works on one of my mirrors on my touareg (the only thing wrong with the car is the right mirror electrics lol).

and I have to say I never owned a car with auto dimming mirrors and it’s AMAZING, so happy the drivers side one works 😂 even though it’ll prob break too one day, lol

Genuinely my favorite automotive feature ever.

Drove a 2016 Civic today, nice car but yeah that CVT sucks over like 30mph and it's slow from a stop with the pedal down, speeding from 40 to 50 was pretty slow too. Otherwise nice car to drive, I liked the seats.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Many cars only have auto dimming mirrors on the driver side, so the other one might not be broken. It might just be a normal mirror.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Genuinely my favorite automotive feature ever.

When I was testing the X5 it was one of those features that I hadn't experienced before but suddenly became a must have. Was surprised the Passport had that as well. My civic had an auto dimming review mirror, but that thing was useless. Hardly ever worked, plus the side mirrors just blinded you anyway if it did work. The one in my Durango from 98 worked way better.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

4 hours ago, vetali said:

When I was testing the X5 it was one of those features that I hadn't experienced before but suddenly became a must have. Was surprised the Passport had that as well. My civic had an auto dimming review mirror, but that thing was useless. Hardly ever worked, plus the side mirrors just blinded you anyway if it did work. The one in my Durango from 98 worked way better.

I honestly forget about it so much that whenever I have to drive a vehicle that doesn't have it, I'm immediately shocked at how much more light I'm seeing. Should definitely be a requirement instead of having vehicles using Chernobyl for headlights, for practicality and safety.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Many cars only have auto dimming mirrors on the driver side, so the other one might not be broken. It might just be a normal mirror.

Pretty sure It is there, I have taken that mirror apart to replace the adjustment motor (it doesn’t adjust as well) and there’s a rim on on the edge of the mirror and two wires that plug into the mirror itself on the back. It may just be for the heating tho 

I’ll have to do some more troubleshooting on that 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I honestly forget about it so much that whenever I have to drive a vehicle that doesn't have it, I'm immediately shocked at how much more light I'm seeing. Should definitely be a requirement instead of having vehicles using Chernobyl for headlights, for practicality and safety.

It would be a great feature to retrofit to older cars, especially small ones like Miata’s where everyone blinds you because you’re lower than them 

Spoiler

GF's 16 Escape has auto dimming rear view but I honestly can't really ever tell if it's working or not, I should shine a flashlight at it to test it sometime.

Based on how crap my experiences have been with them I never bothered considering adding one to my Celica, but if there's one that actually works available as aftermarket I might consider it.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Pretty sure It is there, I have taken that mirror apart to replace the adjustment motor (it doesn’t adjust as well) and there’s a rim on on the edge of the mirror and two wires that plug into the mirror itself on the back. It may just be for the heating tho 

I’ll have to do some more troubleshooting on that 

the 2 wires are just the heated element usually, but I also haven't taken apart an auto dimming one so I don't know what setup they have.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Auto dimming is literally just one giant LCD without the D, apply power and the crystals dim it. There's two thin layers with the LC in between them. 

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

It would be a great feature to retrofit to older cars, especially small ones like Miata’s where everyone blinds you because you’re lower than them 

I bring practical solutions to annoying problems:
image.png.2b342b529d32aef9f701bc2d15d9c85a.png

Side note: why does embedding still have issues in 2022?

18 hours ago, Bitter said:

Drove a 2016 Civic today, nice car but yeah that CVT sucks over like 30mph and it's slow from a stop with the pedal down, speeding from 40 to 50 was pretty slow too. Otherwise nice car to drive, I liked the seats.

Yeah, unless you absolutely floor it, and have it in the "S" mode on the shifter (if you can call it that). Because then VTEC KICKS IN YO. It's a weird sensation, NGL. The car pulls a little bit to 30, then it runs out of juice until upper 5K RPM, then it gets loud and starts pulling again at about 50MPH. 

16 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Yeah, unless you absolutely floor it, and have it in the "S" mode on the shifter (if you can call it that). Because then VTEC KICKS IN YO. It's a weird sensation, NGL. The car pulls a little bit to 30, then it runs out of juice until upper 5K RPM, then it gets loud and starts pulling again at about 50MPH. 

I didn't try it in S, drive it post repair today and it could be tolerable. It's no slower than my 98 Mazda 626 2.0, but seems like it rides nicer, is quieter, has way better brakes, idles nicer, and gets much better gas mileage. I might be able to live with one.

But I better get the touring package for the good headlights. 😅

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

I didn't try it in S, drive it post repair today and it could be tolerable. It's no slower than my 98 Mazda 626 2.0, but seems like it rides nicer, is quieter, has way better brakes, idles nicer, and gets much better gas mileage. I might be able to live with one.

Idles nicer is a big one. New cars idle so smooth it’s insane. I think the faster computers maybe that help the most? + how accurate and controlled direct injection is 

some of it is just better motor mounts too but you can tell the idle itself is way better than older cars 

at least on smaller engines, V12’s have always been smooth lol 

Spoiler

Its smooth until you blow apart your rear motor mount full @terryteksending it. I've replaced a few 10th gen civic rear motor mounts that snap in half.

Other than the AC issues, 10th gen civics are a great car. Don't bother with the 2.0 though. Even if you prefer manual its turtle slow. Later years you can find manual 1.5 turbos but you are better off just getting a Si at that point.

14 hours ago, Bitter said:

The brakes shocked me, and scared the crap outta my brother, when I went to depress the brake pedal roughly an inch (that was the travel on my much larger truck with brand new brake pads and rotors) and stopped dead in the middle of the road. We were only going 30 at the time, but I wasn't prepared for the brakes being that good. 😅 I will say, I love the A. the size, it's an SUV, but it is visually small, it isn't bloated-looking either. I have a cavernous trunk that has more space than my father's Highlander vertically when the seats are down, which means a lot when carrying bikes. The handlebars are difficult to get in the Highlander due to the cargo area being a good 4 in higher in the first place, not being as wide, and not being as tall. It is deeper (further from the rear bumper to the driver/passenger seats) in the Highlander though. That's ignoring the seats being up, the bottom part of the seats folds up, leaving enough space for a bedside table on either side of the transmission tunnel (really the axle tunnel, it being a CVT, and AWD, but shhhhh) B. fuel efficient, I can make my tank (a little small IMO, but I did go from 27 US Gal. to 12, so I am biased, but 14 Gal. would be perfect) last much longer, and the light in the dash makes it almost like a game to see how much gas I can save. It isn't as fun to drive as my mother's 2013 Mazda 3 (Grand Touring with the Skyactiv engine), and they weigh the same and have the same power, but it's a lot more fun than it could've been.

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Idles nicer is a big one. New cars idle so smooth it’s insane.

And it's old enough to not have Auto start-stop, thank heavens.

6 hours ago, vetali said:

Its smooth until you blow apart your rear motor mount full @terryteksending it. I've replaced a few 10th gen civic rear motor mounts that snap in half.

I've only done 2 pulls, don't plan on any more. I'm not going to get my speed fix from this car, and my dumb brain has learned that now, so I no longer have any desire to do pulls.

When this car is a beater in 15 years, you better believe it's getting a FAT turbo. I also might work on a body kit.

image.png.409d9085feeb2c3e9432ae8e80380e44.png

9 hours ago, vetali said:

Other than the AC issues, 10th gen civics are a great car. Don't bother with the 2.0 though. Even if you prefer manual its turtle slow. Later years you can find manual 1.5 turbos but you are better off just getting a Si at that point.

Stuck with auto, gf has to be able to drive it too. Not that I don't think she couldn't learn stick...I don't think I can deal with her bitching and moaning about it. And really I'm not keen on stick for a commuter and city driver. CVT gets better sticker mileage by a few points but yeah it sucks.

I thought that Turbo engine was a Turdo with several different problems?

What AC issues?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Stuck with auto, gf has to be able to drive it too. Not that I don't think she couldn't learn stick...I don't think I can deal with her bitching and moaning about it. And really I'm not keen on stick for a commuter and city driver. CVT gets better sticker mileage by a few points but yeah it sucks.

I thought that Turbo engine was a Turdo with several different problems?

What AC issues?

The 1.5 with the CVT isn't awful. Its what I had in my hatchback. From a dig its not great, but pretty decent 30-70 acceleration. Great fuel economy. Mine only got like 33 with the sport tires + it was a loaded sport touring. I see some lower trims getting 38-43 in the shop.

I've heard of some problems with head gaskets rarely on the newer 1.5s. Some carbon buildup issues, injector issues. Low boost codes because people have to keep creeping up on a curb until they hear a crunch. Other than that they've been fine. Haven't heard or dealt with any CVT failures on them. The AC failures are usually condenser related. Some evaporator issues early on but if I remember right the dash doesn't have to come out to replace it. Compressors rarely, and they are really fun on the 1.5. There is a warranty extension on condensers. I do them all day lately.

Hmm ok so nothing catastrophic. It's the non Civic 1.5 turbo you were doing a lot of bad injectors in?

16-18 is probably the range I can swing money wise, any newer I may as well just buy a new car for what they'll cost.

I really love when people are like "why's my car cost so much to fix" and this is their car.

20220624_152237.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Hmm ok so nothing catastrophic. It's the non Civic 1.5 turbo you were doing a lot of bad injectors in?

16-18 is probably the range I can swing money wise, any newer I may as well just buy a new car for what they'll cost.

All the 1.5t may have a potential for injector issues. The v6 its a matter of when, not if.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, Stahlmann said:

You can use your rear fog light to have a similar, albeit more sublte effect.

This hasn't been a problem for me ever since i got my Audi which has auto-dimming rear view mirrors. That's one of these features i never knew i needed, kinda like ACC.

Rear fogs are few and far between in the states. Only cars that I've had with em were my Saabs

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB