Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

Oh, that sounds nice! Bon appétit!

It needed seasoning, it was very plain. 😞

53 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Well maybe they should make something reliable then *scratches chin*

Tbf, is anything these days all that reliable?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

24 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Hm, I'm sure a few models are fairly reliable.

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Garbage, right?

Every "modern" car is, its laughable that my 600  ccm motorbike is louder than a RS3..... (admittedly the bike has a sport exhaust fitted but still) I find it infuriating that everyone talks up modern cars how eco friendly they are, yeah i smell BS right there.....

58 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Every "modern" car is, its laughable that my 600  ccm motorbike is louder than a RS3..... (admittedly the bike has a sport exhaust fitted but still) I find it infuriating that everyone talks up modern cars how eco friendly they are, yeah i smell BS right there.....

Always amuses me pulling up next to "eco" hybrids and electric cars with my catless 3.0 i6 turbo 😂

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Most things will make it to ~200k miles then they pretty much done it seems 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

CA0C3659-F390-4EFD-8864-22AB6011DBF2.thumb.jpeg.beec1d193b3a55b8911045a8c883d499.jpeg

this thing does way better on gas on the highway than it should lol. Like it almost doesn’t make sense better... it’s only supposed to get 23 

that said I did “only” get 27.9 on the way back. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I used to regularly beat the EPA estimates in my 93 Prizm (Corolla) with 1.8/4spd auto. It was slightly modified with wrapped header/down pipe, no muffler, an extra 5deg timing, and running 89-93 octane fuel. I could easily pull 30mpg highway and peaked at 35, around town was more like 25 though because it was hard to stay off the accelerator. It was torquey down low for such a little engine. I miss how it ran/drove. If they weren't such unsafe cars and didn't all rust in the same places I'd enjoy owning/driving another one but alas buying a 30yr old economy car isn't a wise investment of my funds.

I still need to pick a new daily driver out. I'm torn between getting myself something almost new and really nice like Mazda3 turbo awd low miles used in a couple years or screw it a cheap 10yr old Corolla. I'm kind of inclined to go with the Corolla if I can find one of the hatch back shaped ones, whatever they call them now, used to be a Matrix now it's a different model I think but it's still a Corolla with a hatch on it. I just want a rear wiper for winter. I'm kind of leaning toward cheap used so I don't have to deal with a monthly car payment, I think I could afford it but it would be nice to not have to deal with it. If I do get the Rolla I'll probably get it flash tuned by someone for a max MPG tune. I was even considering a hybrid something or other, I've been driving more of them at work and I don't dislike how they perform around town at all. I'm techy enough to work on/understand the hybrid system and rebuild a battery pack if I needed to or even mod it to plug-in charge at home which would be really awesome since my usual commute is 30 miles a day, should be do-able on mostly battery on mild weather days if the vehicle can be forced to run more on the battery. Heck, it might even be fun to up the pack capacity if the BMS would allow for it via some hacking.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

this thing does way better on gas on the highway than it should lol.

9.1 l/100km is quite a lot lol.....

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

CA0C3659-F390-4EFD-8864-22AB6011DBF2.thumb.jpeg.beec1d193b3a55b8911045a8c883d499.jpeg

this thing does way better on gas on the highway than it should lol. Like it almost doesn’t make sense better... it’s only supposed to get 23 

that said I did “only” get 27.9 on the way back. 

Meanwhile im lucky if mine hits the 20s 😂

56 minutes ago, Benji said:

Which would explain why they hooked up the otherwise small 1.8l engine to a 4-speed.

Also it was 1993, all they had were 3 and 4spd automatics. The 1.6 with much less torque was mated to a 3spd auto, either engine could be had with a 5spd manual though. The 7A-FE was a longer stroke than bore and made peak torque at near 2500 RPM and then kept 80% of that peak torque until 5500 RPM, a few minor mods would have it hitting peak torque at or a little under 2000 RPM. Timing advance was one, altering the air box was another. The header actually broadened the torque band up a little bit and let the engine keep torque to nearer 6000 RPM and got rid of the nose dive in power at 5500, also generally enhanced power across the rev range due to much better exhaust scavenging. It was an F head flange on a stainless steel clone of the 20 4A-GE valve header with larger runner diameter and a longer secondary set of runners. It paired cylinders in the correct firing order, cylinders 1/4 and 2/3, so that the exhaust pulses worked together correctly at higher RPM and the fatter runners allowed for better flow at lower RPM. Overall it was a large improvement over the cast exhaust manifold with single down pipe and one of the best things I ever did to the car.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

9.1 l/100km is quite a lot lol.....

Better than the 10.2 it’s supposed to get lol 

But yeah it’s still a far cry from the ~6.2 my civic would get. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Better than the 10.2 it’s supposed to get lol 

But yeah it’s still a far cry from the ~6.2 my civic would get. 

its sad .. my dads forester (2013 2.0 na with a 4 speed auto) gets about the same fuel economy maybe 8.5l/100km if you are careful on the highway  😭 

My V40 (2015) would be chilling at its 5.0 combined or hooning at 6.5 if it didnt ask for a gearbox and esc system service while throwing the car into limp mode  ... horaay for a new-ish car issues 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I got 28mpg on a 300 mile trip this weekend.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

34 minutes ago, vetali said:

I got 28mpg on a 300 mile trip this weekend.

in your passport? that car is super close to mine. Engine size, power, weight, you do have 1 more gear in the trans tho

but I have a 26.4 gallon fuel tank which is stupid awesome lol 

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

in your passport? that car is super close to mine. Engine size, power, weight, you do have 1 more gear in the trans tho

but I have a 26.4 gallon fuel tank which is stupid awesome lol 

Yeah, then I went up a 5.2k climb in ~15-20 miles and tanked my gas mileage. Gas tank is pretty small, but I do get like ~350-400 miles in a tank depending on driving.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Looking at all these cars with so much engine and complexity, so many parts, chemicals, mechanicals. Big cylinders, small cylinders, turbos, fuel injectors, computers, transmissions. linkages. Holy crap.

Really love my Tesla model 3. It's just a battery, a computer, a motor. Some support stuff like a cooling system for the battery. But it's so simple. And it's so fast. Instant torque. No transmission. A computer that acts like a computer, it plays games, youtube, netflix, etc. Always connected. It's so smart it's simple. Yes, it has autopilot and I use it a lot.

Over 50k miles, no maintenance. Just rotated the tires and new tires. That's it. Next year I get a replacement cabin filter. That's the maintenance.

If anyone has legitimate questions, ask away, I'll be glad to answer.

41 minutes ago, willies leg said:

If anyone has legitimate questions, ask away, I'll be glad to answer.

How many supercharger minutes did you get for that post?

Generally electric cars have less moving parts but not necessarily less complicated or less failure prone parts. There's still a relatively small sample size and relatively few miles driven by them compared to traditional ICE vehicles so making comparisons is difficult yet.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

How many supercharger minutes did you get for that post?

None, the only way to get credit with a Model 3 is with a referral code, so if anyone buys a Tesla with my referral code, for example, we both get 1,000 free supercharger miles. That works out to around $50 or so each, not a big deal.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Generally electric cars have less moving parts but not necessarily less complicated or less failure prone parts. There's still a relatively small sample size and relatively few miles driven by them compared to traditional ICE vehicles so making comparisons is difficult yet.

It's hard to generalize because there are so many companies doing electric cars now, and some of them are a lot more complicated than others. Check out Sandy Munro on youtube, he does a lot of car teardowns.

His comparison between Tesla, Ford and VW is pretty good:

Really gives you a good feel between architectures, direction and complexity.

My build/daily driver, feel free to comment 🙂

I got the car exactly a year ago...spend a lot of my free time during covid making it really fit my taste...i love this car.

cover-image

4-jpg.290997

20210509_164342-jpg.291002

1-jpg.290994

3-jpg.290996

20210509_164210-jpg.291000

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Just make sure you are good at NVH and interior work and you'll be set to retirement.

Also can't forget about this mess that was posted a few weeks ago. The manufacturers find a way to keep cars going into the shop.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Also can't forget about this mess that was posted a few weeks ago. The manufacturers find a way to keep cars going into the shop.

All that corrosion in a new-ish car..... 🤣