Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

like always the whole world decides that america doesn't like sporty and value and stu stu stu from some eg6

Or maybe, just maybe, it might be because the USA is a completely different market than the rest of the world. And you lucky sods got the E60 M5 with a manual and no one else did. But BMW is on a different level of brain injury anyway.

Also, importing to the USA is probably an expense Lotus didn't want, at a time, since they were (and still are to a point) a small company. GM could have brought the VX220 overseas but for some reason they didn't? Idk, mixing those cars with the big hunky SUVs y'all get would be interesting.

Where tf did the Civic come from in the context? I'm confused

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Or maybe, just maybe, it might be because the USA is a completely different market than the rest of the world. And you lucky sods got the E60 M5 with a manual and no one else did. But BMW is on a different level of brain injury anyway.

Also, importing to the USA is probably an expense Lotus didn't want, at a time, since they were (and still are to a point) a small company. GM could have brought the VX220 overseas but for some reason they didn't? Idk, mixing those cars with the big hunky SUVs y'all get would be interesting.

There is also the EPA. And the US's fucky emissions regulations.

If manufacturers could just load a bunch of euro/asia market cars on a boat and send them over to sell in the states they certainly would.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

4 minutes ago, techswede said:

There is also the EPA. And the US's fucky emissions regulations.

If manufacturers could just load a bunch of euro/asia market cars on a boat and send them over to sell in the states they certainly would.

I didn't mention all of that because I don't have the knowledge to back it up but yeah, this right here.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I didn't mention all of that because I don't have the knowledge to back it up but yeah, this right here.

Then there is the Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988. Which basically fucked the grey market. 
(This is why you had to wait 25 years to import a skyline)
It was basically congress going "FUCK YOU. BUY AMERICAN" (Which i agree with. But still) 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

12 minutes ago, techswede said:

Then there is the Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988. Which basically fucked the grey market. 
(This is why you had to wait 25 years to import a skyline)
It was basically congress going "FUCK YOU. BUY AMERICAN" (Which i agree with. But still) 

If you want an American sports car you pick mustang or camaro.

not that you can’t have fun in those cars but they are just heavy fast beasts. 

We make nothing lightweight. Except the corvette but that’s expensive lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

If you want an American sports car you pick mustang or camaro.

not that you can’t have fun in those cars but they are just heavy fast beasts. 

We make nothing lightweight. Except the corvette but that’s expensive lol

I wouldn't call the new camaro or mustang heavy as such. They're right around 1600kg on average. Which is pretty light for a modern car.
Compared to a miata they are heavy yeah. But its still only about the same weight as an e39

38 minutes ago, techswede said:

I wouldn't call the new camaro or mustang heavy as such. They're right around 1600kg on average. Which is pretty light for a modern car.
Compared to a miata they are heavy yeah. But its still only about the same weight as an e39

But it’s a 2 door sports car with useless back seats 😕 

cant justify the weight lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

But it’s a 2 door sports car with useless back seats 😕 

cant justify the weight lol 

Who cares about the weight when you can still have fun driving recklessly......?

So, car people, I have a question:

Is there a limit to how many RPM an internal combustion engine can run at? What would enforce that maximum?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

2 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

Is there a limit to how many RPM an internal combustion engine can run at? What would enforce that maximum?

Its whatever the acceleration limits of the materials are for a given mass pretty much. Rods/pistons break apart at a certain point. 

also valves not closing fast enough can be a problem too 

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Its whatever the acceleration limits of the materials are for a given mass pretty much. Rods/pistons break apart at a certain point. 

also valves not closing fast enough can be a problem too 

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

The ~5500-6000rpm max on a diesel engine are not an accident. The diesel doesn't burn down fast enough for the engine to rev higher, otherwise it would drown I think. At least I'm sure that this is the reason for it.

On petrol or CNG engines, not so much. After all Formula One and motorcycle engines regularly go 10000+rpm without issues.

add desmodromic valves to a petrol engine and it revs even easier hence why ducatis have a redline past 15k rpm

but basically its dependent on the materials and the size of the parts 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

On 1/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, the gamer that is bad said:

are they manuals because i only have manual transmissions 

manual is the transmission itself, but yes, as an owner of a c10, most of them already have a stick installed, and if they don't it's easy since there's only a plate of steel separating the tranny from the cab. i would try and fix everything you can on the motor before install, check for oil leak on the pan and whatnot, so you don't have to yard the engine out or work under the truck later.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 hours ago, Computernaut said:

until that happens

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

13 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

i do acknowledge this, but that's why today they just make car plants here

i think that because usa just has so many god damn laws regarding emissions and crash safety, that we just don't get the car

the eg6 never came to the states, just the 5th gen of civic

EDIT: also i'm pretty sure a turbo yaris would make the emissions, considering they are little hatch, 1.5 liter turbo, just here america decides to make a "reason" like too loud or crash not safe. yea sometimes its literally a problem like crappy airbags. But its so damn anooying when the whole world gets a car, butttt the US

the yaris is just a example

So, I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo (nee Honda Passport)

It's stupid, quirky, generally useless and I love it dearly.

But the headlights, while the enclosures are new, are still ~20 year old tech and are kind of naff.

I know about HID lighting, but this needs some kind of conversion/modification to work.

Is there an LED drop-in replacement to the traditional bulbs, or are there just better traditional bulbs out there that I am unaware of?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Is there an LED drop-in replacement to the traditional bulbs

NO!

or are there just better traditional bulbs out there that I am unaware of?

Yes! What type does it take?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

NO!

Yes! What type does it take?

Not a damn clue (TBH, I haven't looked into the nitty gritty details as of yet on bulb types, was just curious if I could get a drop-in LED or something)

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/lighting---electrical/headlights---fog-lights/headlight-bulb/1395fe3e34c6/v/a/1317/automotive-suv-2002-isuzu-rodeo-sport

Not totally certain what you mean by "what type does it take"

Form factor, wattage, make?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

31 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not a damn clue (TBH, I haven't looked into the nitty gritty details as of yet on bulb types, was just curious if I could get a drop-in LED or something)

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/lighting---electrical/headlights---fog-lights/headlight-bulb/1395fe3e34c6/v/a/1317/automotive-suv-2002-isuzu-rodeo-sport

Not totally certain what you mean by "what type does it take"

Form factor, wattage, make?

Is it a H7? H4? 9012? HB3? 194? 921?

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Is it a H7? H4? 9012? HB3? 194? 921?

9003 it seems

EDIT

http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/H4_9003.pdf

H4 and HB2 also seem to be interchangeable with 9003

BTW, you had a rather emphatic "NO!" on the LED bulb part, but it looks like LED bulbs do exist for this car, is there a reason you are against the idea?

Anyone know a good place to get cab corners for a mid 60's (65) IH pickup truck?

49 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

9003 it seems

EDIT

http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/H4_9003.pdf

H4 and HB2 also seem to be interchangeable with 9003

BTW, you had a rather emphatic "NO!" on the LED bulb part, but it looks like LED bulbs do exist for this car, is there a reason you are against the idea?

If you want to be the asshole blinding yourself and everyone else with what's basically a sawed off shotgun of light the go ahead I guess.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

If you want to be the asshole blinding yourself and everyone else with what's basically a sawed off shotgun of light the go ahead I guess.

Ah, I was unaware of this "side effect"

So, sticking with standard halogen bulbs, any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ah, I was unaware of this "side effect"

So, sticking with standard halogen bulbs, any suggestions?

I'll look around tonight, also if you can post a photo or link to your headlights showing them from a few angles there could be other options depending on how much you want to spend.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'll look around tonight, also if you can post a photo or link to your headlights showing them from a few angles there could be other options depending on how much you want to spend.

Didn't want to spend more than replacement bulbs.

Don't worry about it, it's not critical