Six U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Huawei phones

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well there's only one company you can trust now. xD

im not so sure.. thats a canadian company.  Im deeply concerned about the risks of allowing any company or entity that is beholden to foreign governments that don’t share our values to gain positions of power inside our telecommunications networks. That provides the capacity to exert pressure or control over our telecommunications infrastructure. It provides the capacity to maliciously modify or steal information. And it provides the capacity to conduct undetected espionage

the Canadian CSE could have backdoors..

/s

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

8 minutes ago, itsaiden said:

Actually, the US government provides Social Security and welfare. On top of that, presidents can only serve a max term of 8 years, and are democratically elected. Its pretty much a democratic republic.

Your so cute, bless your heart.

43 minutes ago, FITorion said:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/six-u-s-intelligence-agencies-warn-against-using-huawei-phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:

“We’re deeply concerned about the risks of allowing any company or entity that is beholden to foreign governments that don’t share our values to gain positions of power inside our telecommunications networks. That provides the capacity to exert pressure or control over our telecommunications infrastructure. It provides the capacity to maliciously modify or steal information. And it provides the capacity to conduct undetected espionage.”

To me that just confirm once more how they can do the samething

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Damn, this thread went 0 to political super fast.

IMO,would you rather be spied on by the NSA or by both the NSA & Chinese communist govt selling your data to who knows by buying a chinese phone?

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO,would you rather be spied on by the NSA or by both the NSA & Chinese communist govt selling your data to whos by buying a chinese phone?

Yeah because both aren't spying on us already. 9_9

You do realize with Stingray phone trackers it doesn't what end device you are using the gubbamint got yo shit right? You realize that right? You realize Stingrays already snag millions of conversations of application, data, text and phone call already with no oversight? You do know that is spying on you right?

5 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Yeah because both aren't spying on us already. 9_9

You do realize with Stingray phone trackers it doesn't what end device you are using the gubbamint got yo shit right? You realize that right? You realize Stingrays already snag millions of conversations of application, data, text and phone call already with no oversight? You do know that is spying on you right?

That is what I was implying,but I didn't start the toinfoil hat discussion that was a whole page back,lol. Every country already spies on each other,all these "breaches" and "hacks" aren't just for fun. Although I'd feel slightly safer by not buying a cheapo chinese phone loaded with spyware.

Better not go online though,NSA is spying on you too.  :ph34r:

Haha, sure. Only use CIA-hacked phones. Right?

https://www.rt.com/news/379775-cia-weaponized-85pc-worlds-smartphones/

If I were a US citizen, I'd feel safer using a phone that's compromised by China than I would using one that's hacked by the US government. The Chinese government isn't going to use your information against you - but the US government can.

If wanting to secure oneself against these threats, don't use any US software, avoid US retailers, and try not to visit sites hosted in the US or which send their traffic through the US. And definitely don't use any US anti-virus software.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-14/u-s-agencies-said-to-swap-data-with-thousands-of-firms

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170106/10163236419/fbi-is-apparently-paying-geek-squad-members-to-dig-around-computers-evidence-criminal-activity.shtml

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4617244/Leaked-documents-reveal-CIA-hacked-Wi-Fi-routers.html

https://www.rt.com/viral/398411-cia-wikileaks-webcam-surveillance/

https://www.rt.com/news/409376-cia-wrote-code-to-impersonate-kaspersky/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

14 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

As opposed to a cheapo 'Murican phone... loaded with spyware.

Remind me what phones are American again, besides Apple.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Anyone who thinks the US government isn't as bad as the Chinese is in for a world of chargrin later in life.

last time I checked we didn't starve millions of our own people or imprison anyone who disagrees with the gov. They also haven't limited the internet. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

That is what I was implying,but I didn't start the toinfoil hat discussion that was a whole page back,lol. Every country already spies on each other,all these "breaches" and "hacks" aren't just for fun. Although I'd feel slightly safer by not buying a cheapo chinese phone loaded with spyware.

Better not go online though,NSA is spying on you too.  :ph34r:

the article in the OP was a tinfoil hat discussion lol

and lets be honest here, theres no more spyware in the chinese phone than there is in your korean made Galaxy phones.  in fact theres probably less, since huawei actually lets you uninstall all its bloatware.

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Remind me what phones are American again, besides Apple.

Motorola, Google made a few phones, microsoft with its windows phones..

and are we completely ignoring the fact that Lenovo is also a chinese company with the exact same potential, and theyve actually been proven to put spyware on your computers, more than once... who knows what they do to their phones.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

14 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

last time I checked we didn't starve millions of our own people or imprison anyone who disagrees with the gov. They also haven't limited the internet. 

Last time you checked, you were totally wrong. The US does starve millions of people who disagree with the US gov't, and for even less.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/01/22/its-time-to-call-economic-sanctions-what-they-are-war-crimes/

https://www.rt.com/usa/416354-tillerson-un-sanctions-north-korea/

The US invades any country, including democratic countries, whose government doesn't submit to US wishes, and installs military dictatorships that will be subservient to the US.

The US has slaughtered far more people than any country in the world, since WW2.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-has-killed-more-than-20-million-people-in-37-victim-nations-since-world-war-ii/5492051

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2013/12/31/biggest-threat-world-peace-united-states

The US has invaded Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria, and caused the deaths of over 1.5 million people in those areas, while certainly starving millions of them. The US has turned Libya, formerly the Middle East's most prosperous nation, into a nightmare. International terrorism has victimized countless people now, and it all is because the US created, trained, funded, and supplied those groups before they became terrorists. The US made them to be the US' terrorists, but now they've turned on the US and suddenly the US recognizes its children for what they are: terrorists.

In modern history, the US has been responsible for more death, destruction, and suffering than any other nation.

https://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

The US is just one big propaganda bubble, and it really doesn't matter which topic you choose (from Russia, to China, to the Middle East, to who's responsible for what) - the US narrative on it is comprehensively a falsehood, meant to deny and deflect the US' own guilt while furthering it by making false claims against other countries, groups, people, etc. Again, the US is just one big propaganda bubble.

Everything that the US accuses other countries of doing, the US does, did first, and typically does to a far greater extent.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, FITorion said:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/six-u-s-intelligence-agencies-warn-against-using-huawei-phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:

“We’re deeply concerned about the risks of allowing any company or entity that is beholden to foreign governments that don’t share our values to gain positions of power inside our telecommunications networks. That provides the capacity to exert pressure or control over our telecommunications infrastructure. It provides the capacity to maliciously modify or steal information. And it provides the capacity to conduct undetected espionage.”

Any product using close source code provides the same capacity and opportunities, which includes software and hardware made in the USA, so I'm not really sure what they're getting at. If it's not open source, it's insecure by design, and should be assumed compromised.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

25 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Haha, sure. Only use CIA-hacked phones. Right?

If I were a US citizen, I'd feel safer using a phone that's compromised by China than I would using one that's hacked by the US government. The Chinese government isn't going to use your information against you - but the US government can.

If wanting to secure oneself against these threats, don't use any US software, avoid US retailers, and try not to visit sites hosted in the US or which send their traffic through the US. And definitely don't use any US anti-virus software.

Linking articles from a Russian news site? Yeah cause they're totally not a Russian propaganda site,and not spying on anyone either,or oppressing their own people like China.

But good luck with that, most software,retailers,and most of the largest websites are hosted in the US. BTW, the US govt pretty much banned kaspersky anti-virus as it was found to be Russian govt funded spyware. Most retailers pulled it from their shelves. Just don't buy a garbage consumer router,expect your data to be private when you have a pc or phone repaired,or ever buy a smartphone if you're so scared of those 'murican spies.

22 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

But nah NSA is the only bad spying organization, Chinese couldn't possibly be evil.

19 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

They're just the small differences.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Linking articles from a Russian news site? Yeah cause they're totally not a Russian propaganda site,and not spying on anyone either,or oppressing their own people like China.

But good luck with that, most software,retailers,and most of the largest websites are hosted in the US. BTW, the US govt pretty much banned kaspersky anti-virus as it was found to be Russian govt funded spyware. Most retailers pulled it from their shelves. Just don't buy a shitty consumer router,or ever buy a smartphone if you're so scared of those 'murican spies.

But nah NSA is the only bad spying organization, Chinese couldn't possibly be evil.

You've entirely missed the point, which is that the US does all these things, too. And also that it's far more dangerous for a person to be surveillanced by their own government than by a foreign government of a country that they don't live in.

Also, the US is doing this stuff more than any other country. So, anyone wanting to heed the six intel agencies' warning should first start by minimizing their engagement with any US technology. If they aren't first doing that, then concerning themselves with China or Russia is entirely futile and laughable. The US intel agencies' concern is not for personal security, but to undermine Chinese intel efforts against the US government while bolstering the US government's intel efforts against China. Those US intel agencies don't give a crap about US citizen security for the citizens' sake, and those US intel agencies are doing far more against US citizens than China is - including all the stuff they accuse China of doing.

Also, your critique of RT is totally bogus. RT is a Russia-funded news site that is staffed, produced, and hosted by US and UK citizens, many of them being news industry veterans from outlets such as the BBC, NYT, CNN, NBC, Newsweek, The Guardian, etc. As a result, RT is less geopolitically-biased than any US or UK mainstream news site, and is far less propaganda than any US mainstream news outlet.

Further, the RT article I linked to is not an RT opinion, but is a report on CIA disclosures published through WikiLeaks.

Lastly, a person who sees a URL and preemptively dismisses the information based on it is a hyper-partisan, and is propagandizing with their logical-fallacy, McCarthyist reaction.

14 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

is this /r/pol or am i in the wrong place?

i feel like you took a wrong turn somewhere, but i cant figure out where...

|Specs in profile|

Spoiler

Take a break from /r/Pol and research what North Korea and those other countries do to their own people before accusing the US of being the one to blame. All those oppressive countries already deny their people food and aid to fund their dictatorial military regimes.

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You've entirely missed the point, which is that the US does all these things, too. And also that it's far more dangerous for a person to be surveillanced by their own government than by a foreign government of a country that they don't live in.

Also, the US is doing this stuff more than any other country. So, anyone wanting to heed the six intel agencies' warning should first start by minimizing their engagement with any US technology. If they aren't first doing that, then concerning themselves with China or Russia is entirely futile and laughable.

Also, your critique of RT is totally bogus. RT is a Russia-funded news site that is staffed, produced, and hosted by US and UK citizens, many of them being news industry veterans from outlets such as the BBC, NYT, CNN, NBC, Newsweek, The Guardian, etc. As a result, RT is less geopolitically-biased than any US or UK mainstream news site, and is far less propaganda than any US mainstream news outlet.

Exactly,which is why they're nothing more than a propaganda tabloid,the hosts don't matter. But clearly your hate for the west already shows your bias. Between being spied on by no one and any government agency I think I would rather choose my own government than the Russians or Chinese selling my data to hackers.

12 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

Wrong turn at Albuquerque again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On a side note why does the US need 6 intelligence agencies . . . ?

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Take a break from /r/Pol and research what North Korea and those other countries do to their own people before accusing the US of being the one to blame. All those oppressive countries already deny their people food and aid to fund their dictatorial military regimes.

"RT is a Russia-funded news site".

Exactly,which is why they're nothing more than a propaganda tabloid,the hosts don't matter. Between being spied on by no one and any government agency I think I would rather choose my own government than the Russians or Chinese selling my data to hackers.

US news media is US-funded. What's your argument? The NYT, CNN, Washington Post, and NBC are CIA assets. The CIA called the NYT one of its 'by far the most valuable' of their targets for infiltration and manipulation. The US has tons of state-sponsored news agencies that fund even more tons of news in, and outside of the US. The major news outlets in the US all have US government / CIA ties.

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014/10/16/cia-owns-everyone-significance-major-media/

http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-28/newly-declassified-documents-show-senior-cia-agent-and-deputy-director-directorate-i

And the most popular news in the world is state-funded:

BBC (most popular news source in the world) (international)

RT (2nd most-popular news source in the world) (international)

Euronews (Eurozeone)

France 24 (France)

Deutsche Welle (Germany)

CBC (Canada)

Washington Post (US) (many other in the US, as well)

And the list goes on.

Also, any news outlet that receives funding from any of these US agencies is state-funded:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting_Board_of_Governors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhurra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_for_Public_Broadcasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Free_Europe/Radio_Liberty

What makes a news source propaganda is not where its funding comes from, but the truth of what it says, and its objectivity. RT is far less propaganda than any US mainstream news source.

16 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

Fuck sake, I took the turn at /r/jebaited, need to turn this car around.......

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Fuck sake, I took the turn at /r/jebaited, need to turn this car around.......

i read that as /r/jailbaited and was really confused how you got here from there..

|Specs in profile|