Six U.S. intelligence agencies warn against using Huawei phones

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/six-u-s-intelligence-agencies-warn-against-using-huawei-phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:

“We’re deeply concerned about the risks of allowing any company or entity that is beholden to foreign governments that don’t share our values to gain positions of power inside our telecommunications networks. That provides the capacity to exert pressure or control over our telecommunications infrastructure. It provides the capacity to maliciously modify or steal information. And it provides the capacity to conduct undetected espionage.”

5 minutes ago, FITorion said:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530898/six-u-s-intelligence-agencies-warn-against-using-huawei-phones

Six intelligence officials, including the heads of the CIA, FBI, and NSA, have told the Senate Intelligence Committee that they would not recommend that U.S. citizens use smartphones from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, reports CNBC. As FBI director Chris Wray told the committee:

“We’re deeply concerned about the risks of allowing any company or entity that is beholden to foreign governments that don’t share our values to gain positions of power inside our telecommunications networks. That provides the capacity to exert pressure or control over our telecommunications infrastructure. It provides the capacity to maliciously modify or steal information. And it provides the capacity to conduct undetected espionage.”

I'd probably stay away from them. Every big company in China works with the Communist Party. 

The way I see it...

Huawei certainly is beholden to Chinese intelligence gathering agencies.  They have officials watching and dictating everything...

So imagine if the CIA or the NSA designed a phone through a major manufacturer for foreign sale... would you trust it?

so, they have no evidence of wrongdoing, they are just scared because its a chinese company that they cant control?

“Huawei is aware of a range of U.S. government activities seemingly aimed at inhibiting Huawei’s business in the U.S. market. Huawei is trusted by governments and customers in 170 countries worldwide and poses no greater cybersecurity risk than any ICT vendor, sharing as we do common global supply chains and production capabilities.”

this is literally about market share and trying to prevent competition.   you didnt even read the entire article you posted did you?

this is just clickbait bullshit with no meat behind what they are saying.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, itsaiden said:

I'd probably stay away from them. Every big company in China works with the Communist Party. 

You don't get big in China without Party approval. (And paying lots of bribes.) 

The Intel Community has been surprising firm on this point with Chinese Mobile, which is kind of rare for them. And not in the "we only have backdoors to other phones!" issues. Functionally, no phone is really that safe from any top level intelligence outfit, so there's something else going on with this. If I had to guess, I'd go with the lack of ability to stomp on a company that was allowing full-scale backdoor access. It's not 1 device you're so concerned about, but add 100 to a network and suddenly things start to get interesting.

Anyone who thinks the US government isn't as bad as the Chinese is in for a world of chargrin later in life.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

so, they have no evidence of wrongdoing, they are just scared because its a chinese company that they cant control?

Sounds about right from our government. Hell.. a certain party has screaming about Russia meanwhile admitted in court they outright rigged their own primary for one candidate over another. The intelligence agencies don't need evidence.. they'll just make shit up which they have been doing for years.

2 minutes ago, FITorion said:

you seriously need to get a new source for your information. that site only has 2 sentence articles that only cover sensationalism without any actual facts.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, mr moose said:

Anyone who thinks the US government isn't as bad as the Chinese is in for a world of chargrin later in life.

The Chineese government is very bad... They control everything, and their leader wrote himself into their constitution. Its pretty much a dictatorship.

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

who knows what backdoors NSA has on Apple and the like.

NSA pays good money to have secret employees working in all of the major firms. That isn't a joke, right along most of the Silicon Valley players got their start with CIA money. (In-Q-Tel, if you're curious.) 

Phones are wide-open consumer devices, there isn't a way to prevent an actual intelligence agency from getting through them. That's why there is clearly something else going on. Oh, and there was a pretty major China -> USA Defector not that long ago with a vast trove of files that came with him. It's likely there is a larger plan at work by the Chinese leadership and what we're seeing is counter-strategies. 

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

you seriously need to get a new source for your information. that site only has 2 sentence articles that only cover sensationalism without any actual facts.

I actually get my news from another site full of people who post links to stuff they find.  I posted this here for a few reasons. 1. I thought the people here would find in interesting. and 2. I thought that if there was any truth... or legitimate concern... or utter BS to it then the people here would do a better job at sussing that out than me.

10 minutes ago, itsaiden said:

The Chineese government is very bad... They control everything, and their leader wrote himself into their constitution. Its pretty much a dictatorship.

The US government is very bad... They control everything, and their leader bought himself into the presidency. Its pretty much a dictatorship.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, FITorion said:

I actually get my news from another site full of people who post links to stuff they find.  I posted this here for a few reasons. 1. I thought the people here would find in interesting. and 2. I thought that if there was any truth... or legitimate concern... or utter BS to it then the people here would do a better job at sussing that out than me.

its all BS.  do the research and look for any facts.  the only thing you'll find is "we're scared that they have the potential to do this" well guess what, samsung phones are korean, they have the same potential. apple phones are US based, same potential.  the entire thing is all about limiting competition and preventing consumer choice.  they dont get kickbacks and funding from a new player, but they sure get plenty from existing companies.  its all about money and fearmongering.

do your research before posting bullshit articles please

|Specs in profile|

Just now, mr moose said:

The US government is very bad... They control everything, and their leader bought himself into the presidency. Its pretty much a dictatorship.

The US minority party is very bad.. they control everything, and their leader bought their chosen one a shot at the presidency. Its pretty much a dictatorship.

Just now, mr moose said:

Actually, the US government provides Social Security and welfare. On top of that, presidents can only serve a max term of 8 years, and are democratically elected. Its pretty much a democratic republic.

Just now, DoctorWho1975 said:

The US minority party is very bad.. they control everything, and their leader bought their chosen one a shot at the presidency. Its pretty much a dictatorship.

I just look at the news, I honestly think I could take any article about the US goivernment and rewrite it to change nothing but names with their Chinese counterparts and no one would know any different.  It'd probably even get used as evidence in professional political lobbying about why the US needs to strengthen defenses against china.

Well there's only one company you can trust now. xD

untitled.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

I just look at the news, I honestly think I could take any article about the US goivernment and rewrite it to change nothing but names with their Chinese counterparts and no one would know any different.  It'd probably even get used as evidence in professional political lobbying about why the US needs to strengthen defenses against china.

Oh I agree... its a giant shit sandwich and until the dipshit American populace kicks the left wing loonies and right wing nutjobs to the curb we are stuck with this shit.

11 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well there's only one company you can trust now. xD

So.. can I get a RIM job?

6 minutes ago, itsaiden said:

Actually, the US government provides Social Security and welfare. On top of that, presidents can only serve a max term of 8 years, and are democratically elected. Its pretty much a democratic republic.

You didn't see what I was responding to did you?

EDIT: not too mention that none of that means anything when the president and the government are owned by the corporations that pay handsome amounts in lobbying donations for laws to be passed in their favor.