Has Linus gone too far?

Go to solution Solved by GDRRiley,
4 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

His videos = his call.

Sponsored videos = he has no final say.

they do hold the final judgement but this would likely piss of intel and them just giving a few thousand dollars in cpus, he didn't want to piss them off. 

As you may or may not know, the latest Linus video, " the top laptops of 2018" is a reupload. It was originally 5 minutes long on youtube, but now it is 4. You may ask why is that? They originally had a cool AMD laptop on the list, but because the video is sponsored by Intel, they quickly removed the video and cut the amd laptop out. I know that free 10k cpus from intel are nice, but this has just gone too far. Whats next, top cpus of 2018, but only intel cpus? Top graphics cards of 2018, but only intel iGpus?

"LTT@CES: Top 5 Intel Laptops & Desktops @ CES 2018 (SPONSORED) "

It was only supposed to be intel but they probably accidentally threw in a amd one without realizing it. Intel sponsors them, so if they don't want amd laptops in the video, they won't put them in. 

Let me ask this question. Would you post the exact same thing if it was the other way around? If they had an AMD sponsored video and cut out an Intel laptop?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 hours ago, jwh_ said:

It was only supposed to be intel but they probably accidentally threw in a amd one without realizing it. Intel sponsors them, so if they don't want amd laptops in the video, they won't put them in. 

Did they change the name of the video after that backlash? Nice!

7 hours ago, Lurick said:

Let me ask this question. Would you post the exact same thing if it was the other way around? If they had an AMD sponsored video and cut out an Intel laptop?

Yes. Competition is needed for best price to performance. Look what happened when intel had no competition. 4 core 8 thread for a long time.

Just now, Lurick said:

Somebody would to be fair lol

Sponsored content is not like regular content. Intel commissioned this video. If they want something cut from it, they have every right to.

It's not like getting sent review samples where Intel cannot influence what is said or done in the video.

Indeed since Intel funded the video they have the right to do it, would this be an independent sponsored video they would have kept AMD.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Sponsored content is not like regular content. Intel commissioned this video. If they want something cut from it, they have every right to.

It's not like getting sent review samples where Intel cannot influence what is said or done in the video.

Then they have to name it not deceptivly. For example name it top intel laptops coming out in 2018.

3 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Then they have to name it not deceptivly. For example name it top intel laptops coming out in 2018.

It's evident that someone goofed. Linus isn't out to destroy AMD with this one video. They always own up to their mistakes, let us give them time to do that.

7 hours ago, jwh_ said:

7 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

Did they change the name of the video after that backlash? Nice!

The title is "The Hottest Laptops Coming in 2018".

I guess they don't have good thermals...

.......@.......@

Sponsored content is at best informational and at worst an ad.   You should not expect anything different.  There are reasons journalists disclose when content is sponsored.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

32 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Yes. Competition is needed for best price to performance. Look what happened when intel had no competition. 4 core 8 thread for a long time.

False information.

I had 6 cores 12 threads since the I7 980. More were available from X99 onwards.

Linus is my fetish.

17 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

It's evident that someone goofed. Linus isn't out to destroy AMD with this one video. They always own up to their mistakes, let us give them time to do that.

I have been with linus for over 5 years now, and yes, they arent out to destroy amd with one video, but there is a whole lots of "goofing" happening. They overclocked the 8700k in the review, while not overclocking the amd chips. Even the very old graphics card reviews sounded like they despised amd and lived nvidia. Their every amd video has these bad undertones.

6 hours ago, Bhav said:

False information.

I had 6 cores 12 threads since the I7 980. More were available from X99 onwards.

I mean on laptop. This thread is about a video of laptops after all.

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

I feel this is appropriate :)

Good job!

Just now, Almostbauws said:

Good job!

I agree though, they kind of messed up but so long as they are willing to own up to it then I won't give them too much flak. So long as it's clearly noted to be a sponsored video and give us the AMD laptop video as well of course :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

I have been with linus for over 5 years now, and yes, they arent out to destroy amd with one video, but there is a whole lots of "goofing" happening. They overclocked the 8700k in the review, while not overclocking the amd chips. Even the very old graphics card reviews sounded like they despised amd and lived nvidia. Their every amd video has these bad undertones.

Well, I'm not going to comment on whether they have a bias against/for any brand, but a sponsored video is going to be about the products of the sponsor. It's an ad, after all: it wouldn't have caused much trouble to upload a "top intel laptops of 2018", or the unfortunately more common "top laptops of 2018" (with sponsorship disclaimer in the video) featuring all Intel products. The funny bit is that they were about to include an AMD-based laptop in an Intel ad - now Intel would definitely be mad at that! I guess they actually really like the AMD laptop, though, if they almost included it in an Intel ad xD 

Imagine the opposite situation: "Top laptops, sponsored by Intel: hey guys, this is not Austin, you should definitely buy this all AMD laptop". Now that would be shilling!

4 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

I mean on laptop. This thread is about a video of laptops after all.

Well you heard about batteries and power consumption?

Linus is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Moving slightly off-topic, one should never get all of their information from one source. This is exactly why. There isn't a single field where a natural bias doesn't creep in. If all I watched were LTT videos, I'd need to be making at least $1,000,000 a year to keep up with their taste in things.

Not to excuse anyone's bias of any kind. Just pointing out that it's up to the content consumer to inform themselves.

If AMD paid me to smother cat turd in my hair, piss all over my Coffee lake build, and record the whole thing while saying that this is what gets me off ...

Well hurry up and pay me, don't you want your entertainment?

Linus is my fetish.

Linus has gotten too far the day they stopped doing reasonable build guides and good videos aka a few months after moving into the new office

EDIT: If you give the argument that I've changed, I still enjoy rewatching videos (and watching old videos I just discovered) from before then, so I really haven't

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

His videos = his call.

Sponsored videos = he has no final say.

they do hold the final judgement but this would likely piss of intel and them just giving a few thousand dollars in cpus, he didn't want to piss them off. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs