My College's IT Department Is Leaving Computers Exposed in a Very Stupid Way

firehawken

My colleges IT department is completely useless. This wouldn't be a problem, except they've left as far as I can tell every single computer BIOS unprotected on campus. Every computer I've used in the past several months has had no sort of password protection blocking someone from booting into the BIOS and then booting off of a flash drive. Even worse, every computer is linked to a central data system and your files transfer to any computer you log onto, which means someone could put some sort of virus, malware, or ETC onto one computer and have it spread to all the others.

I've tried to notify the IT department, and I've tried tweeting the college, but nobody seems to care. So at this point, I'm trying to think of a way to get them to care. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Tweet has been deleted. I realize that tweeting isn't the best way to get a problem fixed. I'm still going to try to contact the IT staff and alert them to the issue.

Update: I know allot of you think that I’m coming across as smug for using the word useless to describe my schools IT department, and I agree. I never meant to come across as smug or as someone who has some sort of grudge. I know my IT department does some really important things on campus, and I just want to alert them to a possible issue.

Edited by firehawken
Added updated info, Typo Fix

Let them have it, I would strongly suggest you do nothing yourself however. That's how you get into trouble xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Keep a backup of your files, and let them deal with the problems that will come.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Don't be the squeaky wheel.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 minutes ago, firehawken said:

So at this point, I'm trying to think of a way to get them to care. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Apart from what you've already done. I would advise against doing anything else. Especially if your planning on messing with the computers in the way I think you are. That is unless of course you don't care about consequences and being suspended or expelled

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, firehawken said:

My colleges IT department is completely useless. This wouldn't be a problem, except they've left as far as I can tell every single computer BIOS unprotected on campus. Every computer I've used in the past several months has had no sort of password protection blocking someone from booting into the BIOS and then booting off of a flash drive. Even worse, every computer is linked to a central data system and your files transfer top any computer you log onto, which means someone could put some sort of virus, malware, or ETC onto one computer and have it spread to all the others.

I've tried to notify the IT department, and I've tried tweeting the college, but nobody seems to care. So at this point, I'm trying to think of a way to get them to care. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

don't do anything that affects them negatively to get their attention. YOU will be the one to feel the wrath.

all you can do really is keep telling them, and perhaps go so far as to publicly shaming them for it. (which you're pretty much doing here)

eventually something will happen. whether it be them fixing it, or something horrible happening.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't plan on doing anything to get myself into trouble. Worst comes to worst, they don't care and they get hit by some sort of ransomware attack, and then I get to enjoy watching the IT department run around frantically.

Well it terms of the bios, you can easily reset one by either taking out the battery, or pressing the reset bios switch on the motherboard.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

Well it terms of the bios, you can easily reset one by either taking out the battery, or pressing the reset bios switch on the motherboard.

sometimes BIOS passwords are stored in something non-volatile though. So it stays even across reboots.

Not all the time, but I remember having this issue on an old Dell a friend of mine had been given.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I would just write a proper paper warning them of the dangers of such negligent inaction. Then when shit goes sideways for them you get to say those glorious words, "I told you so".

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

That isn't too much of an issue as the computers are locked closed. In my opinion, It's kinda pointless to lock the computers if you're gonna leave the BIOS unlocked. :P

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I would just write a proper paper warning them of the dangers of such negligent inaction. Then when shit goes sideways for them you get to say those glorious words, "I told you so".

Nah! Worse. They will blame you! 

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

Nah! Worse. They will blame you! 

A well worded paper about a vulnerability you publish to that university is not incriminating. They'd need proof it was him, other than that document.

For the record I am not endorsing messing with the systems.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Its probably on purpouse. Further in Computer Science at my uni you learn to develop Linux drivers so I imagine this would be convenient. Unless you have silly people who waste their time I dont see the issue?

College/University was a while ago for me so I don't remember everything but do students sign any sort of documentation or policy declaring that they won't misuse the hardware? It's not like it's children using these computers.

Don't worry about it. College IT Staff leave computers unprotected so that they can occasionally have something to do, and keep their jobs. But don't give them work, they will find you, and you will get expelled.
If you are legit worried about security, I recommend BYOD.

18 minutes ago, firehawken said:

I don't plan on doing anything to get myself into trouble. Worst comes to worst, they don't care and they get hit by some sort of ransomware attack, and then I get to enjoy watching the IT department run around frantically.

Except that they now have some "proof" that you are aware of the problem and that could be a problem if anything was to happen. If I was you I would simply try to talk to someone in person in that IT department.

If they can't care less, then don't bother. And make sure not to use those PC too much since them being open like this means there could be anything installed on them (keylogger and such).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

31 minutes ago, silentprototipe said:

Let them have it, I would strongly suggest you do nothing yourself however. That's how you get into trouble xD 

Surprisingly enough that's how I got my ever only suspension from high school, someone trolled teachers by replacing the keyboard keys on the classroom computer keyboard, teachers would always suffer typing all wrong and classes wouldn't work out so some day I just had enough of it went there took the keys off and replaced them correctly.

Someone that disliked me recorded it and said I was the one who was making the trolling, got myself 3 days suspension even though I showed it was in the correct layout now and I was only getting it fixed, got a lectured not to ever "play around" with school property.

Meh... ever since I stopped caring to others on person as much.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

To all of you who are concerned I might do something to get myself expelled, at this point I haven’t done anything that would be expell worthy. All I’ve done is noticed that the computer BIOS is completely unlocked. I would never do something against school terms.

The reality is, I’m probably going to have to let this go. I just wanted affirmation that this is a poor security descion by the IT staff.

21 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Except that they now have some "proof" that you are aware of the problem and that could be a problem if anything was to happen. If I was you I would simply try to talk to someone in person in that IT department.

If they can't care less, then don't bother. And make sure not to use those PC too much since them being open like this means there could be anything installed on them (keylogger and such).

That's a fair point, and if they do come to me and accuse me of doing something malicious with the computers I'll cooperate fully. I have no reason to be concerned, as I haven't, and never will do anything to mess with any sort of device on campus.

40 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Most modern Enterprise grade computers (Such as Dell or HPE) would write the BIOS password to a protected non-volatile media, and pulling the battery wouldn't do anything.

27 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Its probably on purpouse. Further in Computer Science at my uni you learn to develop Linux drivers so I imagine this would be convenient. Unless you have silly people who waste their time I dont see the issue?

Why would developing Linux Drivers require access to the BIOS?

If the computers needed Linux, the IT department should pre-install a dual-boot system or some other permanent solution.

Furthermore, in modern UEFI BIOS, you can disable booting from external devices, like USB, while still allowing booting to different internal OS's.

15 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Surprisingly enough that's how I got my ever only suspension from high school, someone trolled teachers by replacing the keyboard keys on the classroom computer keyboard, teachers would always suffer typing all wrong and classes wouldn't work out so some day I just had enough of it went there took the keys off and replaced them correctly.

Someone that disliked me recorded it and said I was the one who was making the trolling, got myself 3 days suspension even though I showed it was in the correct layout now and I was only getting it fixed, got a lectured not to ever "play around" with school property.

Meh... ever since I stopped caring to others on person as much.

I mean... you should have just told a teacher, and showed them a normal keyboard compared to one of the "messed up" ones.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

29 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

College/University was a while ago for me so I don't remember everything but do students sign any sort of documentation or policy declaring that they won't misuse the hardware? It's not like it's children using these computers.

I don't remember signing any sort of documentation relating to that. I also don't know of anyone else who has had to sign that type of documentation.