French company uses AMD CPUs to heat homes. Order yours now!

GoodBytes

A French company, Qarnot, that specializes itself in making computer cloud servers that connects to a home HVAC system to use the generate heat from the computer to help heat homes. They decided to switch from Intel CPUs to AMD CPUs  for their latest offerings to help heat 1500 homes, as AMD Ryzen CPUs are more powerful for the company target tasks than Intel.

The company says:

Ryzen Pro is producing the same heat as the equivalent Intel CPUs we were using while providing twice as many cores. In terms of performance and features, the Ryzen PRO is a fantastic opportunity for Qarnot. In our testing, based on 3D rendering computations, we saw a performance gain of 30 to 45% compared to the Intel i7 we were previously using.

Source: https://mspoweruser.com/french-company-qarnot-wants-use-amd-processors-heat-homes/

Now, I know this isn't the most interesting news article ever, and the title sounds funny. But I wanted to bring "Servers/computers used to heat homes" in discussion. We do know that in the winter times, a computer, especially desktop, is great at heating a room. It has been found by Puget System (and I recall other sources as well): https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

That indeed a computer is very efficient at doing this (and can process things) compared to a space heater.

So why not use computers to not only game or do video rendering, cloud server, simulation, or even mining cryptocurrencies and help warm up homes in the cold days? Linus made a massive project that ended being a flop where he did a whole room water cooling, where heat was attempted to be released outside. Companies uses powerful Air Conditioning units to cool off server room where the heat is also released outside. So, why release the heat outside when you can use it to warm up a home or office space in the winter? Simple idea that helps save money. Heck, even miners tend to make a room in a shed or a dedicated hot room where they put the mining equipment to isolate them. So much energy wasted that can be re0used to help lower heating bill.

Why don't they just use AMD GPUs to warm the house, they get hot enough xD

/sarc

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Linus made a massive project that ended being a flop where he did a whole room water cooling, where heat was attempted to be released outside.

Why was that a flop?

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Why was that a flop?

Heat was dissipated within the room by the copper pipes so the effect was pretty much identical to air cooling. That's not to mention the debris which built up in the CPU blocks

I edit my posts a lot.

Hasn't this been posted months ago? They also use Intel CPU's as I recall.

Yeah, here it is:

Edited by Notional
Added LTT link

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/09/13/002250/french-company-plans-to-heat-homes-offices-with-amd-ryzen-pro-processors

and https://www.techrepublic.com/article/q-rad-uses-servers-to-warm-homes-and-offices/

So yeah, somehow this wound up being "news" again.

9 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Why was that a flop?

It was a cool idea and one that IIRC a few data centers actually use (well, something pretty similar). But was such a hassle to do, terrible to maintain, expensive to set up, I imagine the quick disconnects would be an issue after extended use, and not even worth the cooling improvement. Individual PC cooling + a whole room exhaust fan would be a better solution.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

They decided to switch from Intel CPUs to AMD CPUs

you missed this part

this is a pretty interesting thing, not a bad idea

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Linus made a massive project that ended being a flop where he did a whole room water cooling, where heat was attempted to be released outside.

Didn't Antvenom succeed in doing that?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Because Linus did it.

On the subject. Well at least AMD is good for something. :)

they moved to amd because they were more power efficient, so they have better compute/w

I think the local university uses its supercomputer to heat the outside parking space. 

Edit: Computer's name is Vilje, 467Tflop, 650kW, used to heat the Gløshaugen campus. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

18 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you missed this part

That was part of the original news in 

From the original article in that thread:

Qarnot's tests also showed “a performance gain of 30 to 45 per cent compared to the Intel i7 we were previously using.”

In, therefore, comes the Ryzen and out goes the i7.

Moreover, the article in OP cites as source the exact September article from The Register, so literally 0% is new here.

41 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

snip

I swear I've read something almost identical to this quite a while back.

Edit: The source of the article you linked is dated September 2017 lol. Seems MSPowerUser is slow at delivering news,

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Now, I know this isn't the most interesting news article ever, and the title sounds funny. But I wanted to bring "Servers/computers used to heat homes" in discussion. We do know that in the winter times, a computer, especially desktop, is great at heating a room. It has been found by Puget System (and I recall other sources as well): https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

That indeed a computer is very efficient at doing this (and can process things) compared to a space heater.

I can add my personal experience to this. I have an AMD RX 480 undervolted mining at 105W board power (GPU-Z), and it's definitely not close to enough to heat the room. Probably if you run multiple cards mining then it's gonna be different but your usual 2017-18 low-power gaming PC (like seriously, a high-end i7 + 1080 computer is only 300W) I don't think will be enough for your usual cold room in winter.

Not that I'm complaining about the decrease in power consumption in computers :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I can add my personal experience to this. I have an AMD RX 480 undervolted mining at 105W board power (GPU-Z), and it's definitely not close to enough to heat the room. Probably if you run multiple cards mining then it's gonna be different but your usual 2017-18 low-power gaming PC (like seriously, a high-end i7 + 1080 computer is only 300W) I don't think will be enough for your usual cold room in winter.

Not that I'm complaining about the decrease in power consumption in computers :P

Lol. my 770 was a good space heater xD and it was "only 230w" TDP 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The price to set that up is not worth it. Better to go another route. It is most likely a FAKE NEWS article which is all too common this day in age. Most likely a PRO INTEL spin article, and if its spin, its fake news!

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

My 7950 sure is able to heat a room no problem, and it honestly does it better than my GTX 480. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ryzen Pro is producing the same heat as the equivalent Intel CPUs we were using while providing twice as many cores. In terms of performance and features, the Ryzen PRO is a fantastic opportunity for Qarnot. In our testing, based on 3D rendering computations, we saw a performance gain of 30 to 45% compared to the Intel i7 we were previously using.

It's doing more work for the same power, how is that anti-AMD? 

I've been using PCs as winter heating since before mining even existed, although only in recent years have I acquired enough that excess heat is a bigger problem. Other companies have given away their heat before. I've even considered it, if I could simplify a box someone trusted could run, and I pay for the power used. They get the heat.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

19 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

When you turn a meme into a real business xD

Crank up the AMD FX for a bit of Prime95 while running a GTX 480 quad-SLI and getting some Kombustor going.