AMD Athlon PCs are bricked by Spectre patch

ItsMitch

Source is coming in from El Register - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/microsofts_spectre_fixer_bricks_some_amd_powered_pcs

Microsoft’s fix for the Meltdown and Spectre bugs may be crocking AMD-powered PCs.

A lengthy thread on answers.microsoft.com records numerous instances in which Security Update for Windows KB4056892, Redmond’s Meltdown/Spectre patch, leaves some AMD-powered PCs with the Windows startup logo and not much more.

Users report Athlon-powered machines in perfect working order before the patch just don’t work after it. The patch doesn’t create a recovery point, so rollback is little use and the machines emerge from a patch in a state from which rollback is sometimes not accessible. Some say that even re-installing Windows 10 doesn’t help matters. Others have been able to do so, only to have their machines quickly download and install the problematic patch all over again …

While AMD is only affected by Spectre, it appears that Microsoft has just bricked several AMD Athlon PC's by causing them to become stuck at the Windows loading screen.

The only way to fix this is to reinstall the OS and delay the updates

Resolution form @mr moose - Thank you

it won't be just Athlons, there are others on the Microsoft answers forum complaining of similar issues with intel,  but so far some have been able to start in safe mode and uninstall the update then block and restart.

Issues like this are reported after most cumulative updates.  It is entirely possible that lurking hardware issues are triggered by the update (which is why it tends to get reported on older hardware more than newer).  If people are concerned they should ensure all their hardware drivers are upto date before applying this patch.

But hey, should be a fun day for Microsoft to do more damage control since this is going to affect a lot of people who installed the patch, also why doesn't the patch do a recovery point for a highly critical patch is beyond belief

Kinda odd how it wrecks Athlons but apparently nothing else. Thank god none of the computers in our house (or in family/friends' houses) run Athlons.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Windows update, making you have to reinstall your OS since 1995! (Or whenever else it was introduced i dunno..)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Kinda odd how it wrecks Athlons but apparently nothing else. Thank god none of the computers in our house (or in family/friends' houses) run Athlons.

It won't be just Athlons, there are others on the Microsoft answers forum complaining of similar issues with intel,  but so far some have been able to start in safe mode and uninstall the update then block and restart.

Issues like this are reported after most cumulative updates.  It is entirely possible that lurking hardware issues are triggered by the update (which is why it tends to get reported on older hardware more than newer).  If people are concerned they should ensure all their hardware drivers are upto date before applying this patch.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

46 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

The only way to fix this is to reinstall the OS and delay the updates

In some cases you can restart in safe mode and uninstall the update, so I would try that before a complete re-install.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

In some cases you can restart in safe mode and uninstall the update, so I would try that before a complete re-install.

Can also uninstall through Command Prompt

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'll add your above post into the OP as a resolution, cheers.

So basically, the realistic performance loss due to these patches is anywhere from 0 to 100%.

That's quite the spread.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I have an Athlon X2 B28 dual core in my old PC. Better make sure it uses nothing but Linux if I decide to plug her back in.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So basically, the realistic performance loss due to these patches is anywhere from 0 to 100%.

That's quite the spread.

But, Microsoft said there will be no performance problem! /s

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

Well, given the performance of the Athlons to begin with, I wouldn't exactly call this a problem.

Excuse to finally upgrade, but not a problem.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Had this happen to me, but windows automatically rolled back the update after a couple restarts. 

My laptop is running an AMD Athlon Processor and that has the update installed and everything is working fine.

Well damn.  Will have to make sure my minecraft server doesn't auto update.  Don't need that going down, wont be able to breed more cows and chickens xD

1 hour ago, InertiaSelling said:

Phew. I guess it's a good thing that my glorious athlon 64 3800+ 4k editing rig is still running windows XP.

Hide contents

20170918_173830.jpg

4k via VGA?

8 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

They also said the iphone was dead when they released the WP.  xD

Is this a specific generation of Athlon only or all types? This must only affect a single group of generations , any others would also be affecting phenoms as well. This would mean the generations having issues should be rather old and so have a negleible market share and therefore a lack of testing on the insider ring, therefore not really Microsoft's fault.

9 hours ago, Androidcow1234 said:

Had this happen to me, but windows automatically rolled back the update after a couple restarts. 

I read that advice recently too, at first I didn't believe it.  Borked is borked right?  Wrong, sometimes a few restarts is enough for the updater part of windows to recgonise something is wrong and reverse the update.   I never knew.

Recent Athlons have been pretty decent for their price, so I see this being a big problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42619812

Microsoft has halted some patches for the Meltdown and Spectre chip bugs after AMD customers complained that the software updates froze their machines.

The flaw in computer chips affects billions of PCs, smartphones and tablets around the world.

Specific fixes for the bugs on Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 had caused some machines to suffer blue-screen errors, Microsoft said.

In a blogpost, it said it was working with AMD to resolve the issue.

Microsoft said that it would resume fixes "as soon as possible".

"To prevent AMD customers from getting into an unbootable state, Microsoft will temporarily pause sending the following Windows operating system updates to devices with impacted AMD processors at this time," Microsoft said in the post.

It added that some AMD chipsets "do not conform with the documentation previously provided to Microsoft".

According to Ars Technica, this appears to be more AMD's fault.

After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.

This is an unusual act of buck-passing.

It's not entirely clear what the documentation error is. There are some reports that users with very old AMD processors are seeing crashes because the Windows kernel is trying to use an instruction that the very earliest 64-bit AMD chips didn't support. It's not clear if this is the cause of suspension, but the bulk of the complaints do seem to concern older chips, so it's certainly possible.