Apple does slow down your iPhone.....but its not what you think....

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

snip

Link to an irrelevant video on a completely different platform on a completely different topic. 

K.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

it's just as dishonest as slowing the performance down making people think there is something wrong with their phones.

I've got to be brutally honest, after 5 years plus, its time to move on even if the phone was "fine." 

And it's not dishonest. iPhones slow down as their hardware becomes out of date because they don't have the resources for the software. By the time the battery is dead (assuming you took care of it) your phones hardware is obsolete.

This discovery is compounded with that reality. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Link to an irrelevant video on a completely different platform on a completely different topic. 

K.

It's about how Apple in a way discourages consumers from either getting their shit fixed or fixing it themselves.

Watch.  You might learn something.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

By the time the battery is dead (assuming you took care of it) your phones hardware is obsolete.

This discovery is compounded with that reality. 

The 6s is far from being obsolete/EOL, and yet it shows symptoms of this (my 6s plus didn't have this issue anyway).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Watch.  You might learn something.

I subscribe to Louis and love his content. He talks about Mac's more than anything and a lot of what he says does not transfer over to the iPhone. 

I respect his views but his comments especially on the new MacBook Pros just held no weight and he explains why someone like me might think that. People stick with them in-spite of the flaws for very particular reasons. 

Thanks for the video though!

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The 6s is far from being obsolete/EOL, and yet it shows symptoms of this (my 6s plus didn't have this issue anyway).

My 6s Plus also does not. 

But the 6s is only 2 years old. Its going to experience battery issues before it experiences performance issues because hardware was kicked up to 11 ever since Apple went rambo with the A7. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And it's not dishonest. iPhones slow down as their hardware becomes out of date because they don't have the resources for the software. By the time the battery is dead (assuming you took care of it) your phones hardware is obsolete.

it is dishonest. they are intentionally slowing down the hardware, as stating in the article you posted, without telling it's consumers. the reason they are slowing it down should not matter.

If i took my car to a mechanic and they were intentionally changing the engine to provide less power so it would be more fuel efficient, i wouldn't care. as long as they told me. if they don't, i would assume that the engine is getting sluggish because of it's age and that i would be better off getting a new car instead of replacing the engine just in case the issue returns or is caused by something else.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

they are intentionally slowing down the hardware, as stating in the article you posted, without telling it's consumers. the reason they are slowing it down should not matter.

They don't have to. Its a computer, its always going to get slower over time. 

At most I would agree to a statement like "your iPhone may get slower overtime due to many reasons such as older hardware not being able to keep up, and warn out batteries not being able to provide sufficient power"

A computer is not a car. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

they don't have to...but they DO, that's what I'm saying. i have nothing against them doing it if it's for the benefit of their consumers to make them last longer....just tell people, doing it in secret has the same effect as if they did it to make people buy new phones.

the reality is that Apple has been limiting performance on certain iPhone models with older and lower-capacity batteries as a means to prevent unexpected shutdowns via sudden battery drainage.

If you will also recall Apple issued an update to "fix" this and apparently to do that, Apple scaled back the performance of iPhones with poor battery health to prevent them from simply turning off during normal use. 

that's from your own original post.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

that's from your own original post.

Yes, yes it is. 

doing it in secret has the same effect as if they did it to make people buy new phones.

Only a lot more subtle and keeps the phone going longer than it would otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, yes it is. 

Only a lot more subtle and keeps the phone going longer than it would otherwise. 

All I ask is that they tell people :(

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

19 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The standard 6S has a small battery, so even if the amount of charge cycles is equal, the smaller battery cannot provide the same amount of current of a larger battery.

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

My 6s Plus also does not. 

But the 6s is only 2 years old. Its going to experience battery issues before it experiences performance issues because hardware was kicked up to 11 ever since Apple went rambo with the A7. 

I wonder how rambo Apple went with the hardware. The large cpu cores themselves probably consume a very large amount of power at higher speeds. It wouldn't at all surprise me if Apple runs the cores (for very brief periods) at higher than published speeds as well, which would also necessitate a healthy battery to deliver the current.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

they seem to go out of their way to make it complete crap.

I dont believe this is true... i remembered using iphone 5 and after a new OS release my phone became more responsive than ever. I think they do support it, but , the catch is that newer OS simply runs better on newer hardware. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Nice feature, it should still give a warning though, and perhaps expose to the user how much the battery has degraded. Unless of course they are still using batteries with very short life spans (4-5 years is how long a Lithium Ion battery should last before degrading).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It takes 10min, and costs nothing, how is it that hard? 

What flagship can I buy that lets me plop out the battery in 5 seconds?

Lg v20.

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, they will just turn off randomly during use.......

Not sure that is better in any way........

So don't say Apple is bad for doing x when no Android Flagship does any different and take no measures to keep the phone usable when the batteries do degrade. 

I think people are more triggered by the fact that the procedure you describe isn't valid as an argument that you can replace the battery easily and rapidly. If you want a benchmark on that, take something like a galaxy s4: remove back panel with one finger, take out battery, place new battery, close it off by clipping it back.

Your method involves heating up your phone, which is prone to error which could seriously damage some other components. Then you remove cable. You could disconnect other wires which are close to it. Then you take off adhesive to change the battery that you will glue back in afterwards.

It isn't easy, you could damage the rest of the phone and void warranty, and it certainly do not cost only the price of the battery since you need tools to unscrew, heat up correctly, plus the price of adhesive.

The other manufacture may not do better, but your argument is flawed by that anyway.

8 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You'd miss waterproofing, but ease of repair would make up for it to some people who aren't accident prone. 

My galaxy S5 held together by screws but its still waterproof... 9_9 Pop off the back(no screws here) and thats all you have to do to access the battery.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Nice feature, it should still give a warning though, and perhaps expose to the user how much the battery has degraded. Unless of course they are still using batteries with very short life spans (4-5 years is how long a Lithium Ion battery should last before degrading).

The length of time a Li-ion battery should last is based on how many charge/discharge cycles it has gone through more than the length of time it has been used. If you put 400 cycles on your phone a year, then you'll hit 80% within a few years.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This would not be an issue if they used removable batteries. A slow phone is better than no phone, but it's really silly given how easily it could be avoided.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, laminutederire said:

I think people are more triggered by the fact that the procedure you describe isn't valid as an argument that you can replace the battery easily and rapidly. If you want a benchmark on that, take something like a galaxy s4: remove back panel with one finger, take out battery, place new battery, close it off by clipping it back.

Your method involves heating up your phone, which is prone to error which could seriously damage some other components. Then you remove cable. You could disconnect other wires which are close to it. Then you take off adhesive to change the battery that you will glue back in afterwards.

It isn't easy, you could damage the rest of the phone and void warranty, and it certainly do not cost only the price of the battery since you need tools to unscrew, heat up correctly, plus the price of adhesive.

The other manufacture may not do better, but your argument is flawed by that anyway.

dont forget: lose water resistance afterwards

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

At most I would agree to a statement like "your iPhone may get slower overtime due to many reasons such as older hardware not being able to keep up, and warn out batteries not being able to provide sufficient power"

A computer is not a car. 

Here is the original discovery. Note how the 6s is the model most affected and how it became suddenly worse after the 10.2.1 update.

image.png.af671913e3acef5579304e7d6f8dcaf8.png

Let me explain: Many people might remember that iPhone 6S battery fiasco, which for many, was fixed with iOS 10.2.1, and that seemed to be the end of it. Apparently, the way it did this is by dynamically changing the maximum clock speed relative to the voltage that the battery is outputting, so that your phone can’t draw too much power and shut down.

Take with a grain of salt as this is the estimation of some random person on reddit, however one who has bothered to collect the data. For Apple this would be an amazing solution, you fix all your phones, do not have to recall your main product and do not loose as much brand image. If Apple remained silent about this fix rather than gaining the profit from the repairs one must wonder why this path was chosen.

If the battery is in such a bad condition that you need to reduce the performance of your phone by more than 50% it would be appropriate to at least inform the user that there is an issue with the battery, not remain silent about it.

Thank god I have a LG V20. I swap my batteries when I am in a rush and can't charge. But slowing down the phone to improve battery life is just another way to say: just go buy another phone. I would agree if it would be an opt in option? Like to charge your battery up to 80% to keep battery charge cycles up.

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can replace an iPhone 10 battery in less than 10min and only for the price of the battery. 

Entry is from the front glass. Remove bottom two screws> heatup the edges of the display evenly> wedge the glass and pull up> open the front panel as you would a book> unhook the row of cables> remove battery adhesive tabs> insert new adhesive tabs> insert new battery and connect> reconnect cables> seal phone back up. 

Wow so expensive!

So hang on a minute....

Having to remove the entire screen with a heat gun is somehow an acceptable way of changing batteries to you?

The screen is the second most expensive component in the device, you're aware of that, right?

I mean I'm not exactly ecstatic about the way others do it but having to heat up the entire screen to remove it seems like nothing but deliberate anti consumerism to me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Having to remove the entire screen with a heat gun is somehow an acceptable way of changing batteries to you?

Yeah, for a device not designed to be serviced regularly 

51 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The screen is the second most expensive component in the device, you're aware of that, right?

But you don’t have to replace the display, breaking one during a repair is pretty hard.