Apple does slow down your iPhone.....but its not what you think....

On 12/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Sources: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/yes-old-iphones-slow-down-not-think-210109678.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEN7rJMhFI&t=163s 

So yes, Apple does slow down your phone if your battery has degraded to the point that the phone would not be able to provide the required power to keep the system running during some tasks. If you remember not too long ago people complained about iPhones just randomly shutting off while in use, apparently this was due to their batteries simply being so degraded that at some point in their normal operation, there simply was not enough juice. 

If you will also recall Apple issued an update to "fix" this and apparently to do that, Apple scaled back the performance of iPhones with poor battery health to prevent them from simply turning off during normal use. 

So no, Apple does not slow down your iPhones deliberately simply because a new one comes out....but they do slow down the performance if your battery becomes warn out and degraded.....or at least that is what this article says. 

Yes it is what I think they do get slower not battery related for older versions of iphone.... In a few years the iphone 5 will be slower. They purposely nerf it.

2 hours ago, Dionyz said:

Yes it is what I think they do get slower not battery related for older versions of iphone.... In a few years the iphone 5 will be slower. They purposely nerf it.

Or let's have some actual recorded data from various iOS updates and how they affect the performance. All done by a trusted 3rd party company like Future Mark.
https://www.futuremark.com/pressreleases/is-it-true-that-iphones-get-slower-over-time

Our benchmarking data shows that, rather than intentionally degrading the performance of older models, Apple actually does a good job of supporting its older devices with regular updates that maintain a consistent level of performance across iOS versions.

That said, there are some factors that might affect people's perception of performance after updating an older device with a newer version of iOS. An update might add new features that use more resources or require more processing power. New apps developed for the latest models might not run as smoothly on older devices. Conversely, apps designed for an earlier version of iOS might not take full advantage of optimizations in the latest version. And then there is always the  psychological effect of knowing that there is a new and improved model available, which can make your own device seem outdated.

Ya know, the same thing that happens on PCs with new operating systems and technology.

iphone5s-sling-shot-extreme-gpu-performa

iphone5s-sling-shot-extreme-cpu-performa

There's also some battery scientist on Reddit, although it's reddit. :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7lorpo/battery_scientist_weighing_in_on_this_issue_of/

I've seen a lot of posts and comments on how outrageous it is to be throttling a battery while it still has 80 % of its capacity. I can speak from a scientific background, and I'd like to try and clarify some things, and hopefully lower your pitchforks slightly.

Batteries don't really work in the range of what we would consider to be healthy. With posts like these it's clear that there are some misconceptions about how they age. I mean, a 20% capacity loss doesn't seem so bad right? But, while 83% may still seem high to you, typically 70-80% of the original capacity is considered to be the end of life1,2 (EOL) of a Li-ion battery.

They function by shuttling lithium ions between graphite and another material. Over time these materials become stressed and damaged. During this, there are dozens of internal side reactions that occur which also damage and age the cell. The main causes of cell death are:

• Repeated cycling damages and cracks the graphite anode, lowering the amount of ions able to be intercalated into it
  • Lithium metal plates on the anode and can pose thermal risk, also lowers total Li-ions available for cycling
  • Passivation layers increase cell resistance past a practically useable point, and the cell cannot draw peak current

The last one, especially, is why sudden shutdowns at 50% occur. Batteries are dynamic chemical systems, and they can only perform at maximum for a limited number of cycles. To be clear, 80% of original capacity is NOT the reason for the end of life, but the indicator of these other processes. For iPhones at this point, they have chosen to throttle instead of allowing for sudden shutdowns. From a scientific perspective (and without dumping a ton of graphs and images on you) this is perfectly reasonable.

I understand from a consumer perspective that you just want your things to work for as long as possible, and you don't want to know why they fail. Apple is good at hiding a lot of nitty gritty from us, but batteries are only as good as the chemistry inside them. There is no magic fix to increase cycle numbers or life, just research. Which is why scientists are so hard at work on developing new technologies.

TL;DR: Capacity loss is an indicator of other processes. 80% capacity is approximately the established end of life of a Li-ion battery. Performance is degraded, and unable to keep up with peak demand. Throttling as a reasonable trade-off at this point compared to sudden shutdowns.

Edit: Just for clarification, I do agree that Apple hasn’t done their due diligence in communicating this decision with the end-user. Not everyone follows /r/Apple, or their press releases.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

@Valentyn “But muh rhetoric!” 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 hours ago, Valentyn said:

There's also some battery scientist on Reddit, although it's reddit. :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7lorpo/battery_scientist_weighing_in_on_this_issue_of/

the science is great, but largely irrelevant to the issues people are raising (except for the "I knew" posts from before this update), if the batteries degrade enough to require throttling to avoid shutting down in the first 2 years, then apple have used too small of a battery.

If I tried to use a 50Ah battery to run a fridge while camping for 2 weeks, the science would only explain why the fridge stopped, the problem and cause is still the fact I chose a battery that was to small.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I thought people were angry because Apple didn't state that their lower performance was due specifically to the battery issue so people were basically buying new phones when all they needed to do was replace their battery? If that is indeed the case then why wouldn't Apple make a notification pop up stating that the performance throttling was due to the battery and to replace it versus just leaving it nerfed with no notice to the user?

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not going to go through 10 pages of material lol.

5a41382b48313_ScreenShot2017-12-26at1_39_25AM.png.a8d4a32413d11ea9e97b3417d1225964.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

On 12/24/2017 at 4:54 AM, Valentyn said:

Or let's have some actual recorded data from various iOS updates and how they affect the performance. All done by a trusted 3rd party company like Future Mark.
https://www.futuremark.com/pressreleases/is-it-true-that-iphones-get-slower-over-time

Ya know, the same thing that happens on PCs with new operating systems and technology.

I understand the argument. We are talking about a few points from benchmarking software in terms of performance, but one thing is clear is that iphone 4 has been nerfed hard due to newer iOS updates.

I have a iphone 7 (Fresh out of the box) I done the new update for the iOS 10, and boy did it fuck with my performance. I got pissed as everything had a delay, and my phone would crash randomly. For example using the flashlight feature has a noticeable delay after the update. 

Apple does not care about their newer updates, and I will not continue doing more updates till they fix their shit. I had never had so many issues from any of their other updates. Except for ios 10. 

15 hours ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

5a41382b48313_ScreenShot2017-12-26at1_39_25AM.png.a8d4a32413d11ea9e97b3417d1225964.png

Too bad that analogy isn't even close,  no one is complaining because an obviously old battery can't perform like a new one, they are complaining becasue a battery that is still within warranty can't run the phone is was designed for and apple have neutered the phone as a fix.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@CUDA_Cores the problem imo is still and always has been whether or not the throttling occurs within a reasonable time with a reasonable use case. My 6s plus has probably seen about 500-600 cycles in it's 26 month life, and it will throttle about 10% when at 60% charge (I didn't test higher). I think I'm on the lighter side, but the non plus has the same battery durability but is noticably smaller and so will probably see around 700-800 cycles in that same 26 month period, which is problematic if throttling occurs at 500 cycles when the battery capacity dips below 80% (Apple "rates" it at 500 cycles).

It really just depends when the throttling occurs as to when it's acceptable - if it happens after three years of normal use then I'd say it's fine; at two years I'd say it's acceptable but not ideal; at anything less, it's a problem. Throttling would be a fine temporary solution, but if it's less than two years with normal usage then they should be replacing batteries for free (without Apple Care). So did the iPhone 7s that are throttling see an average or a heavy use? 

Then the other problem is that they didn't disclose it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

All that really needs to be said on this "fiasco" is this:

- Apple should have communicated this from the start

- This measure is actually a good thing for consumers overall

- What Apple SHOULD have done is allowed easy battery replacement for their phones

That said, I still have no intention of having in iPhone as a consumer. I may get one for App-Dev reasons though,

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

On 12/23/2017 at 7:25 PM, DrMacintosh said:

I posted my scores once, showing that this doesn’t happen to everyone if they take care of their device. 

I argue with everyone because thats that’s who I am, I argue. 

I just noticed that Apple specifically mentions the non plus models -- indicating that this probably doesnt affect the plus models due to them having a decent size battery. So your phone's scores (and mine) are completely irrelevant to everything as they SHOULDN'T be throttled.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If any of you have a Mac and iPhone, go install the app 'CoconutBattery' and check your phone's battery life/charge cycle counts. I know my 6S was almost @ 600 charge cycle with 78% full charge capacity before I had it replaced. then you can run whatever benchmark you want and see if the score correlates to the battery degradation. Battery shouldn't be expected to last according to length of time but on its charge cycle which Apple says is 500 or below 80% before it should be replaced.